Jambands.ca

Giant microwave turns plastic back in to oil.

timouse

As seen in the New Scientist.

A US company is taking plastics recycling to another level - turning them back into the oil they were made from, and gas.

All that is needed, claims Global Resource Corporation (GRC), is a finely tuned microwave and - hey presto! - a mix of materials that were made from oil can be reduced back to oil and combustible gas (and a few leftovers).

Key to GRC's process is a machine that uses 1200 different frequencies within the microwave range, which act on specific hydrocarbon materials. As the material is zapped at the appropriate wavelength, part of the hydrocarbons that make up the plastic and rubber in the material are broken down into diesel oil and combustible gas.

JUST A RAMBLE

It only makes sense. oh 1 more thing. This is probably why you should Only I mean Only use microwave safe dishes. margarine containers and other crap probley break down and go into your food. I also read once that if you do use plastics in your microwave that leach into your food it can mimic the estrogen in woman. (That fact came from the University of Britsh columbia)

oh 1 more thing. I once was out in my boat and got stuck in this cove on a very ruff morning and I had gas and oil coming out the engine into my boat that was full of rain water and waves. I was wearing a plastic type jacket. The water and the oil and the gas mixed together as a sludge and got on the jacket when i finally got home i threw my jacket in the dryer. when it came out there was a hard ugly looking harded material on the jacket IT NEVER PEALED OFF and NEVER WASHED OFF it was there for ever. I don't know what it was but it was like plastic and just wouldn't come off.

This is certainly *reasonably* good news - instead of plastic waste, maybe we can see it being reused - but I'd still be much more heartened by news of a breakthrough in an environmentally-friendly alternate fuel.

Or the development of transporter beams, like in Star Trek. Now, that would be cool.

Well that's looking at it from an energy consumption point of view, Larry Llama.

Perhaps there are energy issues to solve yet...getting us to the point where we don't have to worry about consuming electricity.

Looking forward, we will get to a point where renewable energy will be a reality and people won't have to think about cooking their food as potentialy putting a dent in their bills.

Turning plastic back into gas is cool except:

1. It means it will take much longer to get off the gas if we can turn plastic back into gas

-Air pollution continues

2. What about the by-products? Nuclear energy is clean all they until you get to the left-overs which isn't clean at all. What about this process? Plastic isn't just gas, it has other things in it...

Put to good use would be making more plastic out of the gas rather than burning it away but again, it'd be better if they could turn the plastic into something non-environmentally damaging or find something else that is friendly to make the plastic out of...

"2. What about the by-products? Nuclear energy is clean all they until you get to the left-overs which isn't clean at all. What about this process? Plastic isn't just gas, it has other things in it..."

Well the leftovers are the tailings. from mining. the 'waste' that people think of can be put into the reactor with thorium to turn back into uranium, and then expended again before more thorium is needed to recycle it.

No need to mine for more uranium!!!

so no more tailings...

...so you're very incorrect MattM.

I hope you're very happy about this.

Cause I am and the nuclear plants should be.

No more bad PR...it's just more costly than mining new uranium.