Jambands.ca

Foie Gras

ollie

MAY 09 09 - 9:15 AM --The Ottawa Animal Rights Defense League can chalk up another victory in the anti-foie gras debate, as Luxe Bistro in the ByWard Market has agreed to stop serving fattened duck liver on its menu.

Luxe is part of a local chain of ByWard Market restaurants owned by the Firestone Group. The others -- Stella Osteria and Blue Cactus -- will also remain foie gras-free.

The Firestone Group brings to five the number of restaurants in the ByWard Market that have acquiesced to a handful of protestors who, after ongoing and loud demonstrations outside dining establishments, recently forced Domus Café and Play Food & Wine to banish foie gras.

"We have received official confirmation that Luxe Bistro will no longer be offering foie gras," say the activists, on their website.

"They voluntarily made this decision after learning about the production methods used to create foie gras and and have advised us that this decision is permanent. The owners of Luxe Bistro also own Stella Osteria and Blue Cactus and they have confirmed that these two locations will also remain foie gras free! We congratulate the owners and management of these locations for making this compassionate decision.

"This makes five restaurants in three days to to announce they are removing foie gras from their kitchens and the sixth since the campaign began. Thank you for your help. We are just getting started. Please continue to send emails and make phone calls to restaurants that serve foie gras. New locations will be sent out soon.

"Together we can work to make Ottawa foie gras free!" according to the animal rights website.

Says Firestone Group co-owner Ida Firestone: "Yes, we decided to remove it from our menu

"We could not, in good conscience, serve this product after learning how it was produced," she says.

"We believe our customers who enjoy foie gras would whole-heartedly support our decision."

amen AD :)

i don't get this - she didn't know how foie gras was produced? what a load of BS.

i struggle a lot with the meat/no meat thing. i saw a documentary with some footage from a slaughterhouse and it was really awful. i try to buy from saslove's as much as possible b/c they seem to get their meat from good places, but to be honest i don't know for sure.. but i think in cases of foie gras and veal where i know, for sure, that those animals were treated badly -- personally i don't want to take part in that.

did that make sense? i am tired.

IMHO opinion, if you are against the force feeding of ducks. You should go vegan.

You can't complain about one thing being inhumane, especially while eating that rack of lamb, or veal parmigiana. You'd probably have a glass of milk to go with it, and maybe some eggs for breakfast the next morning.

I'd like to see any one of you be able to prove that all the food you eat comes from a free range animal that doesn't suffer.

Sure that cow walks around the pasture, having a grand time, only to have it's calf snatched away and slaughter, so I can have my favourite meal.

mmmmmm...baby cow....

It all ends in death. Probably the most inhumane thing of it all.

all of the meat we cook at home comes from either of two neighbouring farms. i have seen how the animals are treated, and know that they are pastured and allowed to live a non feedlot life up until the short truck ride to the abbatoir. the animals i eat have a far better life than most.

i think that foie gras is unpleasant. so is veal. confinement and overfeeding to make animals more yummy is unneccessary and cruel....but lots of peoople don't feel this way. ultimately everyone has their own theshold. some are level 4 pocket mulching vegans, some are foie gras eating carnivores. life is sustained by the death of other creatures, if i'm going to eat a creature, i want to know that it's had a decent life and will be good food.

That said, I'm confused whether or not inquire would have fit better than enquire.
The traditional distinction between enquire and inquire is that enquire is to be used for general senses of 'ask', while inquire is reserved for uses meaning 'make a formal investigation'. In practice, however, enquire (and enquiry) is more common in British English while inquire (and inquiry) is more common in US English, but otherwise there is little discernible distinction in the way the words are used.

jaimoe is probably referring to higher incidence of gout (manifested as arthritis) among eaters of internal organs. although to be fair, weight, age, genetics, diabetes, and consumption of alcohol and red meat are higher risk factors, so i'm guessing that most of us are just as likely candidates.

Well, Mike has a fois gras and lobster thread going, and we all know he likes fine dining, beer, wine and other rich foods, plus someone who shares his genetics has already had gout. I've had gout and I don't wish it on my worst enemy... well I do actually. It's more painful that sciatica.

• 2 weeks later...