zero

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blackalicious--- Blazing Arrow.. soo neat and strange and funky

A TRIBE CALLED QUEST! This is the band that got me into Hip hop

Lee REED!! I second that, he's awesome

K os... His new Album, YES is really really great. I also like his first album :D

Jurrasic 5 is also pretty kickass

Band of Brothers-- Hip Hop mixed with the Dead!! dude.

Edited by Guest

I recommend that no one listen to hip hop.

I didn't get into hip hop until I heard stuff like Blackalicious, The Roots, Black Star, and Dilated Peoples. Everybody on Quannum Records is worth listening to. Lately I've been discovering all the classic old stuff that I missed out on back when I didn't get hip hop. Can't get enough KRS-One these days.

ZMVqtW5YUBQ

Alot of my favorite Hip Hop artists are old school records, but I really think K-OS offers a lot of fresh tracks and is holdin his own.

I can't get enough of this live rendition of Valhalla...Bouche, I Dear you not to enjoy this one...The passion he has for his music seaps through

GangStarr - Full Clip

On the Top of my List of Hip Hop groups...and DJ Premier still spins today...he has been through Ottawa a bunch of times.

One of my Favorites... Jurassic 5, can't get enough of Charli2Na and I still kick myself for not seeing them when they came through Ottawa a couple years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ChXgTJlC7g

Also, a lot of Hip Hop , well good hip hop anyways, is just poetry over beats. I came across Shihan on DefJam hosted by Mos Def, another Great Hip hop artists. Shihan is a spoken word poet and is pretty deep with his words

Edited by Guest

One of the much overlooked acts of the early 90's was The Goats

Only made 2 albums, the first one was way better than the second: Tricks of the Shade 1992. All of the songs are woven together with skits in between, the whole album thus tells a larger story than the individual songs with a F.Z. Joe's Garage type continuity.

They performed shows backed up by a full band- would have loved to see these guys live!

I havent found much on the web, not even itunes, seems the best stuff has been kept away (by the man?) I did find a youtube video for a glimpse:

If anyone has a copy of Tricks of the Shade, please hook me up, I burned a hole in the cassette a few years back.

I have an awwesome Tunafish story... for another time...

If you like J5 you should go back to the real old school with some stuff like the SugarHill Gang, The Fat Boys and some classic Run-DMC. Any Zulu Nation/Ummah/Native Tongue stuff is always a great place to go as well... Tribe, De La, Jungle Brothers, Black Sheep, Bush Babees, Medina Green, Camp Lo, Maestro Fresh Wes (and no I'm not joking), early-to-mid Beasties (Paul's or Check Your Head {I'm thinking about "The Maestro"}) or you can go back to the west coast with Del and Heiroglyphics (Souls of Mischief, Casual) or the Quannum crew... old British shit is amazing too, early Roots Manuva (Brand New, Second Hand), Herbaliser, Tricky, Massive Attack, or the godfather Slick Rick who bridges the Atlantic gap.

Always keep Public Enemy handy!

Apocalypse '91 is good, but It Takes A Nation... is the truth.

Barbershop, Aesop Rock, Cannibal Ox, Company Flow, Juggaknots, Organized Konfusion (more Native Tongue's), COMMON FUCKING SENSE...

Eric B. & Rakim, EPMD, Stetsasonic, Gravediggaz, Das EFX, Redman, wu, Bahamadia, Last Poets, KRS-One, OutKast, Goodie Mob, Jeru Tha Damaja, Black Moon, The Roots, Brand Nubian, Dead Prez, Dilated Peoples, House of Pain (Truth Crushed to Earth...), The Pharcyde, Rah Digga...

Maybe my all time favorite

Ras Kass

"Interview with a Vampire"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAvBJU8bQ-E

Edited by Guest

I have an awwesome Tunafish story... for another time...

If you like J5 you should go back to the real old school with some stuff like the SugarHill Gang, The Fat Boys and some classic Run-DMC. Any Zulu Nation/Ummah/Native Tongue stuff is always a great place to go as well... Tribe, De La, Jungle Brothers, Black Sheep, Bush Babees, Medina Green, Camp Lo, Maestro Fresh Wes (and no I'm not joking), early-to-mid Beasties (Paul's or Check Your Head {I'm thinking about "The Maestro"}) or you can go back to the west coast with Del and Heiroglyphics (Souls of Mischief, Casual) or the Quannum crew... old British shit is amazing too, early Roots Manuva (Brand New, Second Hand), Herbaliser, Tricky, Massive Attack, or the godfather Slick Rick who bridges the Atlantic gap.

Always keep Public Enemy handy!

Apocalypse '91 is good, but It Takes A Nation... is the truth.

Barbershop, Aesop Rock, Cannibal Ox, Company Flow, Juggaknots, Organized Konfusion (more Native Tongue's), COMMON FUCKING SENSE...

Eric B. & Rakim, EPMD, Stetsasonic, Gravediggaz, Das EFX, Redman, wu, Bahamadia, Last Poets, KRS-One, OutKast, Goodie Mob, Jeru Tha Damaja, Black Moon, The Roots, Brand Nubian, Dead Prez, Dilated Peoples, House of Pain (Truth Crushed to Earth...), The Pharcyde, Rah Digga...

Maybe my all time favorite

Ras Kass

"Interview with a Vampire"

word!

The more hip-hop you listen to, the more "types" of hip-hop make sense to you.

When you listen to the worst Gansta bad-ass think about Slick Rick's story-telling and then just think of them as actors. They act that way to express a story, they play a role, say hello to the bad guy a la Tupac or NWA (which is really PE's schtick).

I still love 2 Live Crew's beats.

Edited by Guest

Cool Josh Martinez is an old university buddy of mine (his name's Matt Kimber and his dad Stephen is a famous journalist in Nova Scotia who runs the King's College journalism program). Haven't listened to this track before.

I hadn't watched that Martinez clip until now but it was inevitable that someone would have made a 'Goin' Back To Hali' track it's a commonly used expression amongst some of us. Neat to see a bunch of cameos including obviously Classified and Skratch Bastid but also in the diner scene there's members of the Goods and I think Ground Squad (Classified's crew) not to mention Jo-Run who is the grandaddy of Halifax hip hop and very much inspired a young Stinkin' Rich Terfry.

I like the lines about 'paying $20 for a gram' and dropping LSD to the head of my class those were very much our salad days (okay some people's salad days last longer than others).

Edited by Guest