Jambands.ca

Fantasy Hockey 09/10!

Hal Johnson

Good day gentlemen. If you were in the league last year I have sent you all an automated email asking you to sign up again. If you weren't in the league and want to play, go to this link:

http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/hockey/register/joinleague?.scrumb=

click "Join Custom" and enter league ID #188717

and use the password, "hockey". If you dont have a yahoo acct you do need one, but it only takes a couple of minutes to set up.

I think last year we had 17 of a max 20, which was awesome, so hopefully we'll get a good turnout again.

Now for the important stuff...

Lst year people complained that there was too much of an emphasis on goalies and D (shoulda picked Vokoun and Thomas then suckas) and it left those without decent goaltending wayyyy at the bottom of the league. Well, I think goaltending and defense are pretty fn important in hockey, but having fun is allright too. I havent changed the scoring settings yet, but when I do I'll try to make it a little bit easier on the goalies, so the main thing is wins, with less of an emphasis on goals against.

ALSO, Booche and I and maybe a few others discussed the option of having a keeper league. Anyone interested?

Finally, Live draft on tues Sept 29 at 8 est. Im only on dial up at that time, so Im out, but Im confident in the computer getting me good picks. The date isnt set in stone, but I figured tuesdays are prolly good for most...unless 90210 is still on the air and it's on tuesdays and its a new episode (or even a really stellar repeat, eh guys? ;)

Anyway, my fingers hurt. Help make all this typing worth it, and sign up. I have a title to defend, bi-otches!

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goals 1 Points

Assists 1 Points

Plus/Minus .25 Points

Penalty Minutes .25 Points

Powerplay Points 1 Points

Shorthanded Goals 2 Points

Shorthanded Points 1 Points

Game-Winning Goals 1 Points

Shots on Goal .10 Points

Wins 1 Points

Goals Against .25 Points

Saves .25 Points

Shutouts 1 Points

The goalie scoring doesn't make much sense. Obviously Goals Against should be a negative value, and should have a higher weighting than saves. I'll crunch the numbers and recommend a scoring system that will put the top goaltender close to - but not beyond - the Malkins/AOs.

Sorry but there will be no Rainbow Unicorn action this year (though it would have been nice to do a Swayze hat-tip with the famous Chip'n Dale centaur on a unicorn avatar).

Last year's mediocre showing proved that you kinda have to be able to follow hockey fairly closely if you want to have a bit of a shot at doing well. It'll have to wait 'till i'm back in Canada again.

Ok, I think I have a scoring system that looks good. YES or NO, does this look like a reasonable mix of positions in the top 25 (for last year):

F Alexander Ovechkin 212.8

F Evgeni Malkin 186.25

G Niklas Backstrom 171.4

F Jeff Carter 169.95

F Zach Parise 165.9

G Miikka Kiprusoff 160

G Henrik Lundqvist 157.7

F Sidney Crosby 156.55

F Ryan Getzlaf 156.2

G Cam Ward 155.1

G Tim Thomas 153.4

F Eric Staal 151.45

F Pavel Datsyuk 150.8

G Tomas Vokoun 148.5

F Corey Perry 148.05

F Marc Savard 147.05

F Ilya Kovalchuk 146

F Mike Richards 144.05

G Ryan Miller 143.8

D Mike Green 143.3

F Mike Cammalleri 143

G Marc-Andre Fleury 143

F Alexander Semin 142.8

F Marian Hossa 142.2

F Daniel Sedin 141.5

16 forwards, 8 goalies, 1 d.

The scoring I settled on after a bit of playing with the weightings was very close to the original.

Goals 1 Points

Assists 1 Points

Plus/Minus .25 Points

Penalty Minutes .25 Points

Powerplay Goals 1 Points

Shorthanded Goals 1 Points

Game-Winning Goals 1 Points

Shots on Goal .10 Points

Wins 1 Points

Goals Against -.40 Points

Saves .10 Points

Shutouts 1 Points