Jambands.ca

New Cookbooks

SolarGarlic

I got:

brv-56740_3_lg.jpg

Pretty self explanatory....

and straight from the Australian Outback...

firedup.jpg

Celebrate the summer with this fantastic barbecue cookbook.

Fired Up is the wonderful new barbecue cookbook from Murdoch Books. It presents a comprehensive range of no-nonsense recipes to cover all your barbecuing needs. The book is divided into four straightforward chapters - bird, cow, fish and on the side which all offer a mouth-watering selection of grilling and hot-plating fare.

There are classic barbecue favourites like beef ribs with barbecue sauce, more exotic and modern interpretations such as Thai-style garlic pepper barramundi, and innovative and appealing recipes including beer-can roasted chicken, a sure favourite for those warm summer nights to come. Fired Up will inspire you to grab the tongs and head out to the barbie!

I got Good Eats - The Early Years

good-eats-early-years.jpg

a companion book to the first bunch of seasons of Alton Brown's "Good Eats" show. It goes episode-by-episode, with tidbits and trivia about how the episode was made, along with diagrams of stuff (it's a cook-book that's enjoyable to read, almost as liner notes to the DVD edition of the series). As a cooking guide, it's also arranged by topic, rather than by recipe, so there are separate chapters for eggs vs. potatoes, for instance. There's also a good amount of science in it (as there is in the TV show).

:thumbup:

Aloha,

Brad

I got my mom that new Michael Smith book. The Chef at Home or something I think? Lots of good stuff in there.

We've got that one. There are some very simple yet fundamental recipes in there. One thing I liked was reading his way of making stock and then reading Tom Colicchio's method, then Julia Child's, and then realizing that homemade stock is so important. I haven't transformed basic stock into brown stock yet, nor reduced it into the various sauce making fundamentals like demi-glace. That's coming.

Not really a cookbook, but I got this

I guess we'd classify that as an 'uncook book', which I think still counts. Food books are food books, and that looks pretty cool.

I got Good Eats - The Early Years

Wow! This is suddenly what I wish I'd gotten for xmas but didn't. I love the shit out of Alton and Good Eats. Have one of his other books.

SolarGarlic's also looks like something I'd want to thumb through.

while Alton had a great show, alot of his things were more trouble than they were worth. Like Dehydrating food with an array of filters and a big box fan.

If you're going to dehydrate with electricity, just get a dehydrator!

Haha, totally true, but I get a kick out that sort of thing .. the geek in me, I'm sure.

It seems to vary from season to season -- at times his show is/was practical, at other times it was a total food-science geek fest, and sometimes it was about engineering bizarre solutions to (sometimes straightforward) problems. All of those appeal to me. At its best I think it struck a decent balance, although there were times for sure where it veered off more heavily in one direction.

Christine got this one but I've taken it over:

9780679312895.jpg

At first I was, meh... Canadian Living. But I've been cooking from it for the last week thanks to its great layout and an ingredient set that travels well between recipes... meaning I can try a lot of different things without having to go out to get that one extra ingredient each time.

It's great for the basics and introducing new cooking techniques in a friendly manner.

Christine got this one but I've taken it over:

9780679312895.jpg

At first I was, meh... Canadian Living. But I've been cooking from it for the last week thanks to its great layout and an ingredient set that travels well between recipes... meaning I can try a lot of different things without having to go out to get that one extra ingredient each time.

It's great for the basics and introducing new cooking techniques in a friendly manner.

did it come with an apron?