Northern Wish

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wrote this to TSN today...

Hello,

The Canadian appetite to win at hockey is so ravenous that most of the public can't see this tournament for what it is. It's only a matter of

time before kids are sitting on Jr Hockey players laps telling them what they want for Christmas and waiting for the flying Zambonie to deliver

them presents.

It's a fun tournament but it is blown way out of proportion. Interest in this tournament is mainly in Canada and is driven to a frenzy by the

media. Until this tournament is actually hosted successfully by other nations and can support more than 4 contending teams lets just call it

the Canada Cup.

Now bring on the Olympics!

Brad

My brother lives in CT, a mere 40 minutes to Nassua Coliseum, 55 minutes to MSG and about the same to the new home of the Devils......

He has a massive sports pack on his TV down there.

This game was not televised anywhere; even US sports channels weren't showing the score on the ticker or anything.

OK we get it Booche. Back to the Junior forum.

I just thought it was a completely sensationalistic comment, lacking any relevance- and the fact that it came from the G+M was even more disheartening.

This game was not televised anywhere; even US sports channels weren't showing the score on the ticker or anything.

Au contraire NW, I got an e-mail this morning from a buddy of mine in Newark NJ (he's a big Devils fan). He watched the World Juniors on television. He said the NHL Network carried most of it.

Back to the topic at hand though - that globe & mail header just doesn't make sense. It would only apply if the junior teams were playing in the Olympics.

Hello,

The Canadian appetite to win at hockey is so ravenous that most of the public can't see this tournament for what it is. It's only a matter of

time before kids are sitting on Jr Hockey players laps telling them what they want for Christmas and waiting for the flying Zambonie to deliver

them presents.

It's a fun tournament but it is blown way out of proportion. Interest in this tournament is mainly in Canada and is driven to a frenzy by the

media. Until this tournament is actually hosted successfully by other nations and can support more than 4 contending teams lets just call it

the Canada Cup.

Brad

It won't change any time soon regarding worldwide interest. The tournament isn't new or a fad. I could care less if the world is watching, but I don't like blowouts. What is brutal is women's international hockey. It really shouldn't be an Olympic event.

And realistically Brad, there's only 5-6 competetive Olympic mens' teams.

Au contraire NW' date=' I got an e-mail this morning from a buddy of mine in Newark NJ (he's a big Devils fan). He watched the World Juniors on television. He said the NHL Network carried most of it.

Back to the topic at hand though - that globe & mail header just doesn't make sense. It would only apply if the junior teams were playing in the Olympics.

[/quote']

....:: Heads off to taunt my brother for paying $100+ a month for cable and not getting the NHL Network ::.....

Featuring the best players in the world.........

TSN would have you believe (and you do Jaimoe, admit it) alot of the kids in the World Jr's are going to end up superstars or even household names in the NHL. Like Brad said, it's blown out of proportion.

Hello' date='

them presents.

the Canada Cup.

Brad

[/quote']

It won't change any time soon regarding worldwide interest. The tournament isn't new or a fad. I could care less if the world is watching, but I don't like blowouts. What is brutal is women's international hockey. It really shouldn't be an Olympic event.

Agreed...

But the hockey tournament in the Olympics is but one event among many. It is not the only focus.

The Junior tournament is an attempt to boost the Canadian ego for a sport few countries are interested in.

And realistically Brad' date=' there's only 5-6 competetive Olympic mens' teams. [/quote']

TSN would have you believe (and you do Jaimoe, admit it) alot of the kids in the World Jr's are going to end up superstars or even household names in the NHL. Like Brad said, it's blown out of proportion.

Well said Booche. The Olympics is the one of the few times we actually see the best of the best.

I for one am glad I won't have to listen to those TSN fucks talk about this any more. Although we probably will have to listen to them talk about it some more. Just not as much.

Oversaturate'd.

Tip: Watch less TSN.

But yeah, why isn't this in the juniors thread?

And realistically Brad' date=' there's only 5-6 competetive Olympic mens' teams. [/quote']

Well said Booche. The Olympics is the one of the few times we actually see the best of the best.

Are you saying that these aren't the best juniors? Other than the ones that make the pros and/or aren't released to play for their national teams, these are the best U20 players playing in one of the best international hockey tournaments. Of course Canadians and TSN blows this thing up way bigger than it should. But it's hockey. Heck, they also show exhibition women's games. And I don't think for a second all these players are going to make the pros. I wore my Christian Dubé jersey last night.