Jambands.ca

Jazz Fest Thread

Northern Wish

For daily updates, notes from the night before etc.?

After Weinberg cancelled last night, Gil-Scott Heron was seriously delayed. His band played about an hour to entertain the crowd while awaiting GSH. He finally took the stage at about 10:05pm.

Beaus is on tap again this year, and I had a few ciders that were fantastic:

WAUPOOS PREMIUM CIDER

Made from late harvest and European cider apples, Waupoos Premium Cider is semi-sweet and sparkling. Perfectly balanced, it offers a lively body, full fruity flavours and refreshing finish.

6.5% alc/vol

By the time he finally took the stage (10pm ish)I was out of smokes and hungry; I only lasted until the first downpour or about three songs. He seemed to be in very good spirits, had some interesting banter and wasn't nearly as physically rundown as the last Citizen article suggested.

Great music!

I just wish he would have started at 7:30, my back gave up after 4 hours of waiting.

The crowd was tiny when he did take the stage....so small it would have been possible to have held the show at Mavs.

I got wet seeing WET today, and Wayne told me about another Jazz Fest gig he's doing, Jagged Lines, on Friday, July 2, in the tent (near Elgin St., I think) at either 1:00pm or 3:20pm (I've seen both listed), and it's free.

Description

Rules are there to be broken, and lines are there to be skewed. Adam Saikely and Wayne Eagles conduct an electro-acoustic journey that blends improvisation and composition.

Featuring:

Adam Saikely – electronics

Wayne Eagles – guitar

Jeff Asselin – drums

Stu Watkins – bass

Brian Asselin – saxophone

Aloha,

Brad

First up for me today is Two x Three (1:00pm, NAC Fourth Stage). One of the trios is Linsey Wellman (saxophone, flute), Craig Pedersen (trumpet), and Mike Essoudry (drums), and the other is Mike Dube (keyboards, vocals), Mike Hickey (bass), and Mike Shultz (keyboards, vocals). It's described as

Mike Essoudry’s acoustic trio meets a quirky keyboard-vocal trio lead by Mike Dube. Six musicians mix and mash it up.

After that I might check out Mother Africa (2:10pm, Confederation Park, OLG stage; this is a free show).

Tonight starts with Mike Essoudry's Octet (6:00pm, Confederation Park, Main Stage), and then I'm going to try to get in to see Bill Frisell (8:00pm, NAC Studio), and if I can't, I'll be at Herbie Hancock (8:00pm, Confederation Park, Main Stage). Doran, Stucky, Studer & Tacuma play the music of Jimi Hendrix (7:00pm, NAC Fourth Stage) also looks interesting.

Aloha,

Brad

What time will you line up for Frisell? Are you just gonna go after Mike plays the mainstage?

Something like that. I'm going to try to coordinate with Northern Wish, probably meeting him around 7:00pm inside the NAC, or outside by the ad marquee.

During Mike's show, I'll probably be under the big tree beside the sound tent.

Aloha,

Brad

Tonight, I'm going to try to get to the NAC around 7:00pm, either to get close to the front of the line for Bill Frisell, or to see Eric Boeren which is listed as being on NAC 4th Stage. Before 7ish:00pm, I'll probably be in Confederation Park, checking out Al Henderson's Septet.

After Frisell, I'm thinking about checking out Bettye Lavette, and then maybe Christine Jensen's Orchestra to finish off my jazz for the night.

Aloha,

Brad

I found the set fell a little bit short of 'bananas'... in fact- I thought it was pretty sleepy, disjointed and boring. I guess the highlight would've been the 'imagine' cover with vocalist Christina Train, but even that felt really drawn out. The Headhunters stuff was okay, but not really funky at all.

Apparently the night before was Herbie's birthday show at Carnegie Hall, so maybe thats why the set felt a little hung-over.

I also didn't realize the bronze pass worked for Frisell at the NAC, so I felt like an idiot missing one of my favourite guitarists.

One of the best Frisell shows I've seen.

It was about 80% full. at 7pm there was 1 person in line, at 7:15 about 40 people, when they opened the doors at 7:45 there was maybe 110 people. They let in the people that pay first and as soon as that line is in they let in the Bronze Pass line. I think tonight the numbers will be bigger for Frisell given the weather and the fact that Herbie would keep more people away from Frisell than Sanborn.

I am in need of a Bronze Pass bracelet for tonight - if anyone has one and will be spending the evening in Confederation Park I'd love to trade you for a day pass, I could return your Bronze Pass by the time Sanborn is ending.

Vinnie had some seriously sloppy moments last night, especially during one part of the show (the start of the encore?) when Herbie wasn't on the stage.

The musician of the day as far as I'm concerned is Mike Essoudry. First, his marching band kicked off the festival on Thursday with a parade down Elgin, then he did three shows yesterday: a double trio in the afternoon, then his octet opened up for Herbie, then his marching band opened up at Babylon, and kicked our collective asses all over the place.

Aloha,

Brad

The Herbie show almost felt as though he was purposely stepping back at times and allowing his band the chance to shine (which they did in spades!). Tal on The Times They Are a Changing was pretty cool as I've never seen her step into the spotlight like that. I agree that it just wasn't funky enough, even the Headhunters stuff lacked any teeth. My highlight was the excellent cover of Joe Cockers 'Space Captain'. Woo!

Tonight I was lucky enough to get in line early and see the Frisell show. This setup was Bill will three string instruments. It started oddly as Bill asked a member of the media to not take pictures as the clicking bothers him. I have no idea what the photog was thinking, but he snapped a couple pics of Bill politely asking him to stop. This elicited a response of "You can get the fuck out too" from the hero of the night, who ended up apologizing to the crowd twice regarding the incident. The set started very slowly- almost movie soundtrackish- that was all about atmosphere, and nothing to do with melody. As they progressed through the set it was interesting to see everyone frantically searching for sheet music, at one point Frisell was magical enough to make me think of Kurri to Gretzky, passing a piece of sheet to the cello player without even flinching. The third tune moved into more pronounced Frisell playing and finally caught my attenntion. Following were two more tunes that I felt were awkwardly developed arrangments; seeming to be more a vehicle to explore other elements of sound rather than just settle into a groove. It should be noted that the cell player was using some pegs inserted into the strings and was playing below the plugged strings, using many different and new to my eyes techniques of attacking and dragging across the strings in different rhythms. I watched him nearly the whole show and found it fascintating. The next tune was most certainly a Radiohead song, though I can't place the title (possibly Street Spirit?). It was amazing.... Bill kind of just played a 8 bar thing for a while and then as the strings started to swell he was playing Thoms vocal line with some added panache. The final number evolved into a swing type thing that almost reminded me of 'It Don't Mean a Thing'. One encore and that was all she wrote. All told they took the stage at about 8:10 and stopped for the encore at 9:24. I was having a smoke by 9:45.

Thanks again Jambands.ca!

I'm planning on lurking on the free side of the fences tomorrow night. Had hoped to do the same tonight but didn't quite make it over for Scofield. I'm new to the Ottawa scene, and the website, but I'm sure Kanada Kev will give me a glowing review! If I don't see any of you at MMW, hopefully I'll meet a few of you at Furthur.

Later,

Neil

I'm sure Kanada Kev will give me a glowing review! If I don't see any of you at MMW, hopefully I'll meet a few of you at Furthur.

Heyyyyyy Neil!!!! Good to see ya here :)

Say hi if you see Neil. Good man and i'm sure he'd love to raise a glass of good brew with any of the fine folks here and enjoy the tunes.

You're based in Ottawa now Neil?