Jambands.ca

The Pixies are coming back!

AD

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree on Franks voice and Joeys playing but not Kim. In Ottawa she looked like she was just going through the motions.

She introduced the first three songs with either "The B Sides!" or "Another B Side!!". Ho Hum.

Ottawa was really really loud too.

Were you at last night's show? She was smiling and laughing during many songs. She did most of the talking; her playing and singing was spot-on too.

In Ottawa she looked like she was just going through the motions.

Ottawa was really really loud too.

hmm - I didn't get that vibe at all. I also didn't find it very loud. I spent the entire show at the back of the floor with a nice spot on the boards, right next to the sbd. definitely not too loud there. on my way in I realized that I should have brought earplugs, but turns out that I didn't need them.

Anyway, this was my first Pixies show. for some reason I never got into the band. always knew about them, but never heard their music until recently. was a fun show.

I was there last night, I had fun.

I wasn't that impressed by the guitar player, he can play some of their classic melodies, but he doesn't seem to be adding anything new to the songs. when it came to having a bit of a showcase, he relied on some feedback. The guitar line of Where is my mind is probably his best moment in the show.

Actually the whole band didn't sound all that tight... but maybe that's a part of their charm.

Thx! Timing might be tight for me, so that's great to know... Was big into them in the early '90s and never caught them live... Would have been ideal to have caught them back in the day vs. the current 'retirement fund' tour, but I'm confident it will rock!

History will be very kind to these guys... They are possibly one of the most influential bands of the last 1/4 of the 20th Century... It's already on record (and fairly obvious) that they were one of Nirvana's biggest influences...

Looking fwd. - thx again!

thankfully he's not prone to jammy bullshit.

ha! funny to hear this on the jammy messageboard. I just think feedback isn't as innovative as it could be.

Dude - they were re-creating a classic album, innovation is really part of the lexicon here. Their compositions featuring feedback as part of the structure of the song are tight as hell.

Jammy message board? This isn't the foodeze forum or Davey Boy's kitchen, you know.

For sure, in 2011, Santiago's guitar doesn't sound too innovative, but in 1986/87, the only reference for this type of playing was underground garage, punk/post punk and anything else you can trace back to the great sounds and vibe that surf-rock gave to the musical universe. That's just one element in a band that brought a bunch of unusual approaches together (esp. vocals), and created a very unique, and once again - hugely influential whole.

My $0.02, as per usual...

joey santiago isn't the focal point he's a definite part of the band

#13 is a timeless work and that's what i think about that it's even got a jam on the end lol

couldn't stop smiling from that point on

i hope they are touring a new album the next time i see them