Jambands.ca

Just Back From Molson Amp - Bummer :-(

Marcust99

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Prince Caspian was unfinished as the show was cancelled due to severe weather concerns and the venue was immediately evacuated."

Not exactly.

Dude comes out and says a storm is coming and everyone has to evacuate the venue until it blows over and then maybe Phish can come back on.

18,000 pair of eyes stood there blinking.

blink blink

And not a soul left the venue.

Five minutes later dude comes back onstage. "Okay, really we have to evacuate the grounds NOW. Phish is 100% not coming back out so everyone has to leave the venue immediately and seek out shelter."

Then we all left.

Man, some terrible weather at the last shows. I was at the Friday Jones Beach show and I was so soaked! I was standing in 5inches of water, rain sheets and wind were almost too much... I was about to quit even though the band played so hard and apologized for the bad weather. Second set was spared by the rain, but most of us were still soaked to the bone.

I know there's still some anger to why the shows were cancelled in the first place. I know people want to blame the promoters, however I know they tried their best, along with help from Phish' team to salvage the show.

Here's some points to why this occurred straight Live Nation:

- Public safety… traffic lights were out, parking lots had no light, there was no light leading to transit stops. Putting 15,000 people out into that environment would have been completely irresponsible even if they were all sober as a judge.

- Time… Power went out at 1:30. The show was a go up until that point. There wasn’t enough time to deal with all of the huge number of issues that needed to be addressed. Powering up an Amphitheatre in the middle of a blackout isn’t as easy as some might think… let alone providing light to all the areas off site.

- The decision was made late in the day because everyone was pulling out all the stops to get the pieces in place to allow the show to happen and ensure the safety of the fans.

Managed to dodge and weave the weather craziness during our stay in Chicago. Made a decision not to attend the Friday Chicago Phish show (partly based on the weather forecast) but ran into a number of very wet, dazed and confused fans at the House of Blues afterparty show. Velvet wasn't one of them :) (But I did run into him the next night.) Walked to the show and stayed dry during the walk by huddling inside a building doorway as the worst of the storm passed overhead.

It rained during Saturday's 3 set show. Nothing too serious though; we got a wet but not soaked and we managed to stay warm. Whatever you do take care of your shoes. Mine managed to stay dry for the entire weekend.

Sunday it really started coming down right at the end of Bathtub Gin. Fortunately we managed to head for a big "oasis tent" (capacity 500 ?) that they had set up at the very back corner of the venue, and stayed dry as the rain poured down for the end of set one and during set break. By 9:30 the rain stopped, the temperature was perfect, and we danced around some puddles and found a great mud-free spot on the lawn to get down and boogie.

Managed to get back home and then to Toronto in time for the makeup show! Oodles of familiar faces ... lots of hugs and hand shakes and high fives ... I just wish I had more time and energy to soak it all in. Pun intended. Really enjoyed the show, but to my ears, the sound quality wasn't as pristine as it had been in Chicago. I thought they had the sound dialed in nicely at the end of set one for Ocelot and Suzy. Mike's bass sounded phat throughout the show, as did the kit. Page came through well ... I ended up Page side for the Chicago shows and for Toronto and maybe that's the key to hearing him in the mix ... he impressed the heck out of me! But I wish Trey's guitar was more present in the mix in Toronto. Maybe it was just my location. Or maybe it was just my desire to have my face melted with guitar. The vocals also seemed muddy at times. In Chicago I could clearly hear song lyrics and stage banter; in Toronto it was hit and miss. But it's hard to complain and I most certainly would do it all over again if I could! Thank you Phish for the makeup show and for the long Toronto second set with a 3 song encore! That felt special.

Had a blast phishing; time to get ready for a trip to The Vibes!