Jambands.ca

6' of snow in Buffalo today

c-towns

That's a crazy cool timelapse.   

The polar vortex that appeared last year and again this year is almost directly ripped right out of this book:  The Coming Global Superstorm

I read that in 2000 and it eerily describes this type of unusual winter weather as the beginning of even more unusual winter weather that eventually overtakes spring and summer.   If you want to creep yourself out, read that book.  There's some effect of the super cold air in the stratosphere snapping down through the polar regions and flowing south.  It's a work of fiction but the authors claim it's based on good science. still creepy accurate.

Interesting to note Mike, that book was co-written by someone (Whitely Streiber) who claims to have been abducted by aliens.

I'm well aware of the authors' associations with aliens.  Also, Art Bell....famous crackpot host of Coast to Coast AM completes the credibility package.

The book though....describes this type of weather that persists, quite well.. Looking at how much snow can fall and paralyse a city in one day, imagine a full month of snowfall like that.  Cities would be buried.  

It is all pretty humbling to be reminded how vulnerable we& our infrastructure is to the power of nature/extreme weather. We haven't really had much exposure to that in this part of the world. I don't think you need to be probed by aliens to have an inkling we may just be in for a whole lot more of that.

I think we excel at having infrastructure and people that can endure, however imperfectly, both 40 degree heat and -40 degree "heat."  Perhaps you were talking about hurricanes or tsunamis or something like that, but cities/civilizations built in areas with 70-80 degree temperature swings season to season are nothing to sneeze at.  And same goes for the people, though many of them complain too much.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...