Jambands.ca

Sex and Shows

kung

Okay this may be little more than a plea for more breast baring at festivals but whatever. But what gives with our scene, for a bunch of drugged out free spirits there's little or any overt sexuality at shows. Or maybe I mean at 'eye level' there isn't much to be aware of. Maybe it's just cause I'm in a relationship I don't notice it or all the orgies are taking place in tents. Discuss.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know where it is taking place between people or groups of people.....

But this reminds me of the funniest show I have ever attended:

Phish Deer Creek 7.11.2000

piranha (lurker), tungsten, Dwight Yookam and some of our old friends from Las Vegas are enjoying the first set of the "Moby Dick" show. Probably halfway up the lawn on Trey side and we spot a 30 or 40 something, about 20 feet in front of us, rolling on a pill for the first time (very obvious about that). For the whole first set, our group was in near tears watching this dude totally get off on himself. I mean standing there with no one daring to get within 10 feet, RUBBING HIMSELF FROM HEAD TO TOE. And I don't mean scratching your head for a little longer than normal because you realize how good it feels at that moment- I mean full on loving himself with both hands ALL OVER! He spent the whole set caressing himself...... I don't know how he topped the night off- as we retreated to our seats for the second set.

I guess thats the best sex at a show I have ever witnessed. And believe me, by the look of this dude enjoying it- it may have been the best sex he has ever experienced.

Go Molly!

Sean

Because "jam" music tends to be very unsexy. A little more heart and soul may inspire some quality songwriting about the human experience but why concern yourself with the fundamental issues of human desire and longing when you can take a 15 minute guitar solo instead?

quote:

Originally posted by kung:

15 minute guitar solo= fellatio
???
?

No. Barring excessive spinal flexibility, fellatio usually requires at least two people. The sex act corresponding to a 15-minute guitar solo would be just that: a solo sex act...

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by MarcO:

Because "jam" music tends to be very unsexy. A little more heart and soul may inspire some quality songwriting about the human experience but why concern yourself with the fundamental issues of human desire and longing when you can take a 15 minute guitar solo instead?

I disagree with your statement here, Marco. Are you saying all jam music is unsexy, or are you saying that music that isn't offering lyrical descriptions is unsexy? or are you making another point?

I also disagree, for instance when Jay played with moe (the first time) that was sexy as hell. Then when Jay played with moe the second time hell I wanted to blow him. Did you hear Jay played with moe?

I know where you're both coming from though. Even non-verbal music such as nero's has a frisson of eroticism. Any dancefloor is sort of analogous to a snake's den but also copious amounts of substances can make for difficulties with communication and even execution.

I think that jam music is the least sexy music out there. I can't think of any jambands that have the flair, presence or style that would be needed for chicks to rip their bras off and throw them at the stage. I don't know if it is because the fans of jam music are the trekkie equivalent or what but sexiness seems to be generally shunned by the fan base. take for example the general laughter at Bob Weir, the recent comments and spite generated by the guitarist in Cavern's wardrobe and 'rockstar' demeanor, the fact that frontmen/women are a rarity (as are lyrics), and the fact that the hallmarks (phish and the Dead) are toads.

you shut the hell up kung, or I'll tell everyone about your sit-ins.. [Wink]

I wasnt making a point about nero btw.. Moreso about how it takes a little more to interpret what part of their soul an improvising soloist is baring/sharing as opposed to a singer where the words are spelling out their 'human experience' for you, i think. A true improvising soloist is offering a true glimpse or themselves, sexy or not. and I think thats pretty damn sexy.

Don't tell me Metheny isn't sexy as hell, and he aint reading charts or singing about his broken heart/dick.

And as for calling jam-music in general, unsexy.. thats about as useful as categorizing bands as jambands. why not just throw in that they are all stinky hippies, with loose morals and bad breath? sheesh, people wonder why improvising bands prefer to not be advertised as 'jambands'..I am proud to say I find an abundance of dead and phish tunes- (the two big jambands!) very sexy. and by sexy, i dont mean make me want to screw... which is just a small part of sexy.

I guess it depends on what you think sexy is? and where exactly you are looking for it at a show. I need to quit the internet.

Kung, from the up and coming guitar player sporting a boner during a jam, to the rolling couple trying to hide their junk, you obviously have kept your eyes closed at many shows. Good for you.

Pigpen was a toad, but he was a sexy toad!

"Git yer hands outa yer pockets and turn on your looooove light."

i'd definatly agree with bokonon, i see tons of sex at shows, and sometimes when i'm luckey i get to be involved in said sex, and ctmf shopuld definatly start looking for condom sponsers, and i'm all for showing your brests at shows,, yay boobies

I think music and boobies go great together. I find at the festivals you see way more boobs than at any club or theatre show. But if you want to see boobs you would be way better to go to a metal show to see them than any jam scene event. I think the most boobs I ever saw at a concert is when I saw GWAR a couple of years ago. I can't wait for GWAR to come back to Ontario.

It's just my answer to kung's original question: the reason jamband shows aren't generally sexually charged is because of the music, which itself tends to be very unsexy. Unsexy? By that I mean: too heady and spacy (brah!) to stimulate the libido, the lack of tenderness and sentimentality in tone and lyrical content (if applicable), a tendency to equate expressions of lust and avarice as being "pop"-oriented, as being somehow beneath jamband culture. Who leaves a jam show all hot and bothered? (unlike say, a Prince show?) Of course, this is subjective.

A wide margin of sausages, recreational "heady" drugs and another sweaty 15-minute jam does not sexy make. In my opinion. Maybe The Disco Biscuits' music is sexy, I dunno. That means I'd have to listen to it again. Which isn't going to happen. [Razz]

Hell, Phish is one of my favorite bands to see and listen to, and their music is so unsexy it's comical!

Archived