Jambands.ca

Today's question! 3.6.03

Velvet

A practical question:

Okay, you can fly for free to any major airport in the world, alone, and stay for either 10 or 17 days, though only the flight is free and you can only muster up like five or six hundred dollars for meals/accom/partying/etc. for the whole trip.

Where and why?

Amsterdam, because it's one of the nicest cities in Europe, it's full of some of the nicest people in Europe, and has some of the best culture attracts (e.g., the van Gogh museum) around.

Also, with its preponderance of youth hostels and budget hotels, your per diem spending money can go further.

Aloha,

Brad

I was there in September, 2001, and didn't think it was that expensive. If you do things like buy your own groceries, or eat street vendor food, it's not that bad.

One other advantage of Amsterdam: if you go to a bar and ask for just "a draft", you usually get Heineken. It's to Amsterdam what Blue or Canadian are to cities here.

There's also the Heineken museum which, even though it's not all-you-can-drink at the end of the tour as it used to be, is still fun (and includes 3 beers, or more, if the people around you give you their tickets [big Grin] ).

Aloha,

Brad

AUSTRALIA!!!!

G'day Mate!

I would love to return back to see my friends and party. I wouldn't even have to spend that $600.00 (other then on booze), because I know I would be feed and looked after in almost every State.....

oohh to be back on the ocean and in the hot sun! [Cool]

having been there for two years - I can say that Amsterdam can be cheap if you know where to go...just ask away and I can hook you up with cheap and great accomadations, eats and smoke...but Jazz fest-- sorry not on $500 bucks canadian or american unless you can get into all the shows free.

Tickets when we went last year for both weeks were well over $1000 American.

Amsterdam however has lots of free shows as well as many other things for folks on a budget...again don't go as a blind tourist but ask a person whos lived there for a while.

ME!

Or else I bet that within our own borders that money and flight could take you far and go far...I personal haven't seen enough of Canada yet.

I was in Amsterdam in 97 for the 10th annual Cannabis cup.....(kinda exspensive then...but for smoke)The rest of the time I never paid more then 15-20 CDN a night for a place to stay....ie: Hostel,bed on a boat etc.Except for the hotel I stayed at for four days...that was a gift from Mom,right across from the Rijks museum.

Its easy to find inexspensive places there,I was there for 17 days and had a sh*tload o' fun...

Some great places of interest I hit......

*Anne Frank house

*Van Gogh Museum

*Rembrandt house

*Rijks museum

*Heinken Museum

*one of the breweries gives a great tour and a few free beers.

*Marijuana and hash museum

I was touring in Europe for about 58 days alone and I found Amsterdam to be the funnest place,except for the filth..it was very dirty.But the people are unmatched anywhere as far as I am concerend they were the freindliest people in Europe and just about everyone speaks english.If you do go find a "green bicycle" best way to get around the Dam,aside from the obivious treats there,you can always catch a good show somewhere there,be it music,play,theater etc....great culture,also the architecure is amazing.

Give'r

"limo pickup" "Chateau Tungsten" "chauffered drive" "guelph house of popular culture"

ohhh man....I'm having second thoughts about this Guelph thing, I mean, I'm just a po' boy from O-town, not some jet-set-high-culture-pinky-ring-Guelph socialite....I thought the 70's were over??

Seeing as I know you've already done Vietnam Im gonna say Costa Rica or Peru (but catching all the cool sights in Peru will probably cost more than 500 cuz they're a little spread out - but if you take buses and trains and dont fly to Nasca or Cusco you can afford it). Costa Rica is probably more realistic.

Spain is wicked and dirt-cheap.

Head to San Jose in the Cabo de Gata Park immediately upon arrival, and stay there as long as possible. Tiny sleepy town, with amazing red volcanic mountains and the most amazing deserted beaches you'll ever see. (Deserted means 45 minute walk from town, no road access cuz there's only one road in the area...)

-

Cheers

AD

Archived