Jambands.ca

May edition: what CD's are you listening to?

MarcO

I'm busting out this fun thread: what have you been checking out lately?

For me, I've been getting a great deal of pleasure from:

Willie Nelson - Red-Headed Stranger

(melancholy and spooky, it sounds like Willie's sitting right next to you, singin' and pickin')

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (excellent from start to finish; lovely production)

Phish - 4.2.98 Nassau (Wolfman's>>>>Twist Around>Amazing Jam = HOLY SHIT!)

Bill Frisell - Nashville (I keep going back to this, a real favorite; highly recommended)

Joni Mitchell - Night Ride Home (an under-rated late-period Joni album, every song is great)

and, slipping one in just b/c I've been going back to it again and again:

The New Deal - 1.18.02 Ottawa (a solid show, full of focus and inspiration; my favorite show among the recent [2002] ND stuff I've heard lately; you Ottawa cats got a good 'un!)

Now it's your turn! Let the games begin.....

Guest Low Roller

On a recent roadtrip I listened to:

- Trey Anastasio

- Moses Mayes ad The Funk Family Orchestra

- Radiohead 04/06/01, Netherlands (I was there!)

- John Scofield Band "Uberjam"

- Medeski, Martin and Wood "Uninvisible"

And my lastest aquisition:

- Drums and Tuba

This week, I brought the following to the office to listen to:

Jean-Luc Ponty / King Kong

Keith Jarrett, Gary Peacock, Jack deJohnette / Whisper Not

Bill Evans / Conversations With Myself

Oysterhead / The Grand Pecking Order

Eric Johnson / Alien Love Child

I'll also probably break out some of the Dead I've got on disc (I've been meaning to get through 1977.04.23).

Aloha,

Brad

MarcO - Mother Superior Jumped the Gun - I was going to get this going at the end of the week but since we're on it here goes...

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - great album in the full album sense

Drums and Tuba - ever since Frontiertown - lots from the DCN network

MMW - Uninvisable - Unbelieveable

Phish - 12/29/98 SDB- it just jumps out of my collection and wedges itself in there for a week

Ocean's Eleven Soundtrack - David Holmes is the shit - if you like slick beats along the Propelerheads/Herbalizer Band vein, check it out

Book of the Month: The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test - Tom Wolfe

Movie of the Month - Donnie Darko - Don't let the packaging fool you. This guy is the next David Lynch (scariest bunny ever!)

Hey Guys,

Its been a sombre week. So I have been listening to appropriate tuneage........

Go check some of these out, I already started to download some of your suggestions and they were right on.

1. Bruce Springsteen- Greetings from Asbury Park. Classic boss, debut, so many emotions. The real deal.

2. Jack Johnson- Brushfire Fairytales. My favorite new songwriter (though I know he won't be featured in Jazz Afficionado mag anytime soon).

3. Bob Dylan- Love and Theft. Does this guy ever give up? Thrity five years later and still getting better! I just scored 8th row for his Saint John show.

4. Tungsten Gruvsten CD Mixes. From jambands dj mixes, Square Yardage, Rinse and Repeat, Cornerstore Stonercore, Midnite Toker etc. Go download them people they are all over Direct Connect. This guy is a budding genius amongst us. Funky, slick and sly! Thanks Eric.

5. David Byrne 10.31.92. Perfect. Funky afro beat rhythyms with pared down acoustics and high energy.

Go check out Jack Johnson, for the new Ben Harper/ Dave Matthews incarnation without the politics/ introspection.

Peace All,

Sean

quote:

Originally posted by Northern Wish:

4. Tungsten Gruvsten CD Mixes. From jambands dj mixes, Square Yardage, Rinse and Repeat, Cornerstore Stonercore, Midnite Toker etc. Go download them people they are all over Direct Connect. This guy is a budding genius amongst us. Funky, slick and sly! Thanks Eric.

Good call! These cds are in constant rotation in my various disc players too! Recently I've been getting a lot of joy out of his 4 disc funk Compilation, "Strokin' the Grits" as well. Keep up the good work Eric!!

I love this thread!!!

Lately my CD player has been dominated by some notables:

Phish - Clifford Ball - 96-08-16 - gotta appreciate those phish sbds!!!

Nero - Jomo - 2002-02-07 - Seemless sets

Trey Rocks - 2001-07-18 - Official release

Grand Theft Bus - 2002-01-23 - "At first he was imaginary, he lives and Frankenstein's his name"

One Step Beyond - 1997-11-27 - Getting primed for this Saturday

Peace Ya'll!

Pat McGee Band 11.12.01- Full of Energy and well played jams coupled with pat's kick-ass vocal work.

God Street Wine- Good Till The Last Drop- just an incredible live album from a fantastic band.

Miles Davis- On The Corner- funkiest album of all time! Just unreal.

Neil Young- 3.23.75 w/Bob Dylan and The Band. Need I say more?

Gabe Dixon Band- selftitled.

One of the brightest and unique sounding bands to come out in the past 5 years. Look for their new record to be released on Warner.

Blue Quarter- 3.9.02

I can't wait till these guys come back East.

Dead- American Beauty.

Perfect album for a beautiful day.

Peace-

from above: Neil Young- 3.23.75 w/Bob Dylan and The Band. Need I say more?

If you don't want to then I will. Some superb playing by an all star group including Levon Helm, Neil Young, Rick Danko, Bob Dylan etc. The list is a run through a couple of each of Neil Young, Bob Dylan and Band tunes. Sound quality is outstanding since it was a benefit (SNACK) there was a radio broadcast. Something is up with Bobby D's mic during I Want You though, he is inaudible. The segue from Helpless into Knockin on Dragons Door (same tune as we all know with different lyrics- I am thinking the school mascot may have been a dragon?) should be heard by all- short and to the point.

Anyone want this one I will B+P it to 5.....

Sean

Info:

Neil Young and friends

03-23-1975

Kezar Stadium

San Francisco, California

SNACK Benefit

Students Need Athletic And Cultural Kicks

01: Are You Ready For The Country?

02: Lotta Love

03. Looking For A Love

04: Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever

05: I Want You

06: The Weight

07: Helpless

08: Knocking On Dragon's Door

Band :

Neil Young - vocals, guitar, piano

Bob Dylan - guitar, piano, vocals

Ben Keith - pedal steel guitar

Levon Helm - drums, vocals

Rick Danko - bass, vocals

Tim Drummond - guitar

We have a 111 disc cd player..so hard to pick 5 but if I could have my choice of this week...

1. Radiohead - various tunes, live and otherwise

2. & 3. Dead - What a long strange trip its been

3. SCI - live at the Phoenix in Toronto

4. PHISH - Farmhouse....can't get enough.

5. Ben Harper - Burn to shine

The Carousel keeps turnin':

1- Barefoot-"untitled" (percusion and flutes;beauty)

2- Dead- 1-15-79,Springfield,FOB -WAH!! The Miracle->Shakedoen is from Mars.

3- LoS- 9-20-00,Tucson;Holy Crap!! Trey sits in for about 45 min. w/ "Meatstick" teases.Amazing!

4- BNB - 1-16-99,Horseshoe.TO, Very nice SBD patch.

5- Max Creek- 1-28-00,2nd set w/ GORDO,my 2nd ever taping [big Grin]

I have to do this one more time:

I change CD's so often, It's crazy!

Keller Williams Trio 7.8.01

Pretty solid show with bass and drums along with Keller's masterful playing. Solid FOTM along with a wicked "Women Are Smarter"

David Grisman and Jerry Garcia

"Not For Kids Only"

A MUST HAVE for anyone and everyone. Such a gorgeous album in the album sense. It works in every way possible.

Remember Shakti

If anyone hasn't heard Shakti they must. Some of the most impressive and talented musicians of all time. Great indo-jazz fusion.

Uncle Sammy 2.23.02

One of the best and brightest bands to come out of Boston. Superb playing, heavy funk, straight jazz, kick-ass rock and funny vocals. I will B&P any US shows to anyone.

BNB 4.6.02

Nostalgic purposes and the fact that it was just a great BNB show.

Frank Zappa

"Hot Rats"

Zappa is one of my favourite musicians of all time. Hands down.

and...

Phish 12.31.95

The Mike's is extremely spacey and the rest of the show is often called the best of all time, with reason.

Peace-