Jambands.ca

Q of the Day Aug 29

bouche

Leo Fender, invents the first solid-body electric guitar to be mass-produced: the Fender Broadcaster (1948)

Alan Freed, concert promoter, influential DJ

the first "rock and roll" concert (Cleveland, 195? - I'll find the date for you)

movie: "Rock Around The Clock"

yes, the Beatles on Ed Sullivan

the establishment of the Billboard charts

Bob Dylan introduces the Beatles to weed

Dylan at Newport Folk Festival

Monterey Pop Festival (far more important than Woodstock, in my opinion)

Altamont (ditto)

The Rolling Stones 1972 US tour

Saturday Night Fever (a polarizing force)

1980's indie rock

Run DMC + Aerosmith

Nirvana

Napster

just a few off the top of my stoooopid head.

-Miles Davis' Kind of Blue

-British Invasion

-Electric Guitar

-Long Hair

-Drugs

-more drugs

-Jimi hendrix

**if you want my opinion Chewie, #1 is appearance of Motown Records as the most influential time. It basically started pop music, IMO, as we know it today. And whether we like it or not it is the major form of music being produced today.

This has been My Two Cents, by Shcwa.

quote:

Originally posted by Schwa.:

-Miles Davis' Kind of Blue

Hmmm...I was thinking of listing "Bitches Brew" (or maybe "In A Silent Way"), for the way it bridged the gap between the electricity and power of rock and the improvisation and musicianship of jazz. I think BB and KoB were more significant in the jazz world than the rock world, though.

Aloha,

Brad

That may be true brad, but there was no rock before jazz, and rock grew out of jazz totally. The first electric guitars were used in jazz bands and of course blues artists, the other form of music that joined to create rock. What i'm trying to say is that if there was no jazz and blues, there would be no rock. maybe i'm ranting...

quote:

Originally posted by bouche:

I had a read on Rocket 88 and found an interesting little piece on it...a little info on "the first rock and roll song" dilemma.

Yeh, good points in there - that's the main reason I put that it was arguably the first! [Wink]

I guess it's always hard to say what's really the FIRST when you're talking about something like rock'n'roll which encompasses so many styles. But that was definitely an important moment nonetheless.

Peace,

Mr. M.

I've always thought of Rock'n'Roll as the bizarre love child of black R&B and white hillbilly/country (Elvis Presley being the prototype).

R&B arose when delta blues, which was largely acoustic and utilized a single performer (e.g., Robert Johnson), came North (to places like Chicago), went electric, and started to utilize a full band.

I wouldn't say that jazz led to Rock'n'Roll; I think Rock'n'Roll and jazz share some common roots (black music of the early 20th century, the blues in particular), but the split happened long before either of what we know of as "jazz" or "Rock'n'Roll" were recognized.

But you're right about the guitars, though. Remember, Les Paul is a jazz guitarist, as well as an inventor.

Aloha,

BradM

Funny how nobody's mentioned the crumbling of the 9600 baud modem barrier, the inception of the World Wide Web, or the introduction of the dye-writable CD as a consumer product.

You can have the greatest message in the world, but if you don't have a medium or a vehicle, ain't nobody gonna get it.

MarcO--Yes, I saw your mention of Napster. A popular thing goes through (at least) three stages on its way to stardom--invention, implementation and commercialization (or commoditization). Napster fits into the last stage vis a vis the Internet as a vehicle for music. Good call.

Love it or hate it: MTV.

As long as I'm thinking electronically: The mass-market influx of cheap, solid-state radios from Japan (that was when, the mid-fifties?). Later, the popularity of the boom box.

Yeah, tubes sound better, but solid state made things more portable.

Gong back a bit further than what Arcane's mentioned:

• development of portable/pocket transitor radio
  • rise in popularity of FM radio

The former helped make Rock'n'Roll a form of music that permeated all parts of society, since you could use a radio to listen anywhere, anytime. The latter, with its better sound quality, and positioning as an alternate to top-40 "singles" radio, helped make album-oriented music (e.g., Pink Floyd, Yes, etc.) viable.

Aloha,

Brad

I think the defining issue isn't so much the band frequency as improvements in the technology behind it.

"In the Shadow of the Shield" by Arthur Zimmerman is an account of the history of CFRC, the radio station at Queen's. In some form or other, CFRC goes back to the 1920s, making it one of the longest running radio stations in Canada. I haven't read the book(shame on me), but I'm willing to bet that it would have some mention of the technical reasons for the rise and fall of AM and FM radio throughout the decades.

If I had to make a wild guess, I'd say that FM would have been a better choice for efforts in boosting power and delivering a clean signal. At the very least, AM is far too sensitive to the daily appearance and disappearance of the solar-ionized layer in the atmosphere.

sex pistols, dwight yokam does suspicious minds, motown, ozzy, metallica, the cramps, the go gos, keith, bluegrass pickin, sammy davis, blue meanies

what was the question? name some bands that have been cool ?

dental fillings that draw alien communication