Jambands.ca

Halloween Party on Sat.

Moma

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm listening to the first (of three) tapes from Saturday, and here's what I've got:

DeBasement Tapes, Tape I / Hood's Place / 2002.11.02

0h00m00 Why Won't Somebody Take This Microphone From Me?[1] ->

0h04m35 (unknown; Johnny Cash song? Ms. H, you were singing this one)

0h08m15 banter/random

0h11m10 jam

0h15m10 acoustic guitar jam -> Man Smart, Woman Smarter -> Iko Iko -> jam ->

0h27m45 China Cat Sunflower > Maggie's Farm[2] -> jam -> All Over Now[3]

0h40m58 Feelin' Alright -> Walk On The Wild Side -> jam -> Franklin's Tower[4] -> Promised Land

1h01m40 Cities -> jam -> I Know You Rider

1h18m39 banter

1h20m54 Wolfman's Brother

1h28m05 Knockin' On Heaven's Door[5]

1h40m30 banter -> Dear Prudence ->

1h55m00 N.F.O. -> New Minglewood Blues

2h05m40

[1] Stapes on vocals

[2] Short tease

[3] With "China Cat Sunflower" backing music

[4] With "Feelin' Alright" backing music

[5] Axl Rosette on vocals

The tape doesn't sound too bad. The biggest problem is the low level on the vocals; the instruments come through just fine, but it's sometimes hard to make out what's being sung.

Aloha,

Brad

P.S. If anybody found two small (approx 3" x 6") plastic ziplock bags in the basement, on the floor under the cork board near the bathroom door, please let me know; they're the bags for my mics and battery box.

Oops. First off, only the music in the basement was taped; I got nothing from upstairs (except for beers and [iIRC] a swig of Jaeger, but that's another story...). Second, at least Booche (if not Booche and treyter) knew I'd be bringing the rig, so I figured it was OK; next time, I'll to make sure there's at least nominal consent from (most of) those involved.

Lastly, what's on the tapes isn't embarrassing; far from it. I've started in on Tape II, and there's a jam after the opening "Jack A Roe" that reminds me (a bit) of GTB: weaving rhythmic lines, wavering sonic density, fluidity, possibility.

Aloha,

Brad

Sorry Brad, I wasn't suggesting you gain permission. It is a free world and we are so happy to know that you are enjoying your role as a taper. We certainly need more people like you in my opinion.

I am glad to hear that there's nothing embarrassing on the tapes (although I can hardly believe that, since I was there and things weren't always pretty [Wink] ) I can attest to some amazing musical moments, some comical renditions of old favorites and some drunken behaviour. [big Grin]

I guess I was uncomfortable just because I was drunk and not in full control of myself. I feel comfortable getting that way with friends who are in the same mind-set and will probably forget half the shit I say anyways.

OK, here's tape II:

DeBasement Tapes, Tape II / Hood's Place / 2002.11.02

0h00m00 Jack A Roe

0h06m40 No Neighbours jam -> The Other One ->

0h22m00 They Love Each Other

0h30m04 Me And My Uncle -> jam[1] ->

0h39m20 Get Back On The Train -> Possum -> Get Back On The Train -> Goin' Down The Road Feelin' Bad ->

0h53m10 We Bid You Goodnight

0h55m20 banter/trumpet -> Smarties jam[2]

1h15m00 Bertha[3]

1h20m45 Heavy Things[3]

1h25m45 banter

1h27m20 Funkytown jam

1h30m50 Sympathy For The Devil[4]

1h35m40 Waste[3]

1h38m50 banter/jam

1h45m30

[1] "Dark Star" tease

[2] "Jumpin' Jack Flash" tease