Jambands.ca

Question of the day: November 8th

Basher

This my first Q of the D. I have to admit I have borrowed this off of the Phantasy Tour boards, but it is a good one ninetheless!

Q: Some great movies you think most people have never seen/heard of?

For me, I gotta highly recommend the following:

The Last Supper

Plot Outline: A group of idealistic, but frustrated, liberals succumb to the temptation of murdering rightwing pundits for their political beliefs.

I love this movie. A great dark comedy with thoughtful ideas.

Okay - this is one for all the "carpet munchers" (as it was so elequantly put yesterday) and all those guys who enjoy the visual of two women together:

"High Art" with Allie Sheady (have no idea if that's spelled correctly)

Amazing indie film with great acting and very erotic content.

It IS friday afterall. I think we can handle 2 questions.

Red Rock West was a great little gem.

Nicolas Cage (when he did cool and little known movies)

Dustin Hoffman!

and a great cameo by Dwight Yoakam.

Also, there are a couple of other Nic movies that are worth seeing if you like black comedy.

Wild at Heart and Vampire's Kiss !

(actually, that means I have 3 answers for this QOTD)

I got another one - Big Night! Wow. I recommend you eat a nice dinner BEFORE seeing this flick, or have reservations at a nice Itialian spot immediately after!

Stanley Tucci and Campbell Scott writing/directorial debut.

Plot Outline: A failing Italian restaurant run by two brothers gambles on one special night to try to save the business.

Love this movie.

cover-small.gif" border="0" align="right

Hedwig and the Angry Inch

dont bother to rent it, skip that step and just go get the dvd... do it first, do it now

I havent seen Christiane F since i was like 16, but if i remember correctly its definitely a movie to see... maybe i should rent that

all the David Bowie talk lately made me remember that one today... - hmm german theme

no eraserhead for me thankyou [big Grin]

for lighter fare, i still love Better Off Dead with john cusak or Heathers

Watch Battle Royale, a Japanese film that's completely over the top. Kinda like Series Seven but waaaay better (and bloodier). You can rent it at Invisible Cinema in O-Town.

I'd highly recommend it to those that want something, well, a little different.

AD

Allegro Non Tropo

-Bruno Bozetto's stab at Fantasia with animation set to classical music- ranges from hilarious to tear-jerking to contemplative...

beautiful animation using many formats and styles....unreal to trip out to.

Dead Alive

-Lord of the Rings Director Peter Jackson, one of his early New Zealand flicks, gore, gore, gore...during the lawnmower/zombie scene fake blood was pumped at 5 gallons a second....

OK. I got some good Canuck flicks to recommend:

Cube

Plot Outline: A group of people awaken in a strange environment that resembes a maze of cubes.

waydowntown

Plot Outline: A group of young employees bet a month's salary, winner takes all, on who can last the longest without going outside.

The Sweet Hereafter

Plot Outline: This film documents the effects of a tragic bus accident on the population of a small town.

Last Night

Plot Outline: A group of very different individuals with different ideas of how to face the end come together as the world is expected to end in six hours at the turn of the century.

"High Art" ... was that just recently on city tv late at night.

i watched at 3am a nice movies about two lezbo's (one trying to tell mom, other travelling hippy type) who worked/hung out in a art store.

watched the whole damn thing. it was good. great lezbo scene's. nice titties. (hope T don't read this, she was sleepin [Wink] ) the end some skin heads through fire bombs, blowing up store?

Wonder if this was the same movie?

Guest Low Roller

"You no good honky!!!!" HAHAHAHAHA I love Dolemite!!!

Cube is a great flick. I own it on DVD and watch it constantly.

Here is a list of movies I recommend:

- PI (Fucked up. Makes you really question existance)

- Dark City (A mix between The Matrix and Truman Show)

- Ghost Dog (Deals with the Samurai code of honor in modern times)

- Office Space (...because I can relate)

- Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (Snatch blows compared to this one)

- Nighmare Before Christmas (Amazing stop-motion + director Tim Burton + music by Danny Elfman = Fun, fucked-up musical for kids)

- Boondock Saints (kick ass, kinda like Falling Down, but WAY cooler)

- 2001: A Space Odessey (Kubrick + drugs = [big Grin] )

"Fandango". It's a Kevin Costner movie about a bunch of friends circa 1970 and their exploits just before they get drafted. It's sort of a road-trip / caper / coming-of-age movie. The closing part (with background music by Pat Metheny) is truly magical.

Aloha,

Brad