Jambands.ca

anyone else hear about this?

Tooly

quote:

Rumors have circulated and now they seem to be true of a tournament style face off between top jam musicians. Their will be sixteen teams (bands) of five band members, each chosen by the captains of the respective teams. The captains are as follows in the order that they are seeded:

1. Trey Anastasio

2. Stanton Moore

3. Victor Wooten

4. Robert Walters

5. Jimmy Herring

6. Phil Lesh

7. Mike Gordon

8. John Herman

9. Les Claypool

10. Jon Fishman

11. David Schools

12. Bob Weir

13. Karl Denson

14. Robert Randolf

15. Bela Fleck

16. Warren Haynes

***The following seeds will pick musicians from a list of the following bands in a lottery style draft on April 20, 2003. Here is the list of bands in which the captains will choose from: Umphrey's Mcghee, moe., Sound Tribe Sector Nine, Soulive, MMW, Topaz, Mofro, Perpetual Groove, Galactic, KDTU, North Mississipp All Stars, RAQ, Particle, The Wailers, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Ween, The String Cheese Incident, The Slip, The New Deal, The Codetalkers, and OAR..

Dates and locations of each jam face-off will be released in the near future, with the two finalists squaring off at the Main Stage of Bonnaroo on the last night of the festival.

Go Georgia!
!!!
!

Andrew Lennox

Relix Magazine

[Eek!][Eek!][Eek!][Eek!][Eek!]

ok so it says rumours but now they seem true, i fuggin hope theyre true for all the souls on this board that will be at Roo to see the showdown, wonder if trey will wear a cowboy hat?

Back just before the Dr. Huxtable / ferriswheeler set-blender, I commented to Aljee about how I was excited to see "The Al vs. Phred show."

Al paused, and said, "It's not about competition, it's about collaboration." (This one comment made me realize just wise a musician Aljee is.)

I'm really interested to hear what gets produced, but fear it might turn into a "this is better" vs. "that is better" fight.

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

Back just before the Dr. Huxtable / ferriswheeler set-blender, I commented to Aljee about how I was excited to see "The Al vs. Phred show."

Al paused, and said, "It's not about competition, it's about collaboration." (This one comment made me realize just
wise
a musician Aljee is.)

I think I kicked his ass though [smile] . Just kidding of course.

All of this setblender, jam stuff is all about collaborating. And that's how it should be treated, never this person is better than that person.

Phred

Yeh right on Phread! Also I think you'd agree that many of best jams you see, with jazz or blues players especially you'll notice this, there's always a bit of competitive spirit that leads to people playing their best stuff. The sense of "oh, you played that?!? Well take THIS!!!" can lead to some of the best playing situations. Good musicians should totally push each other. Certainly I know when I trade off with really good players, it makes me play better, no question!

This sort of idea, whether it's setbenders or this whole "team" concept is just an extension of that, like you say.

- M.

P.S. Your sig quote is VERY funny to me, showing once again what a geek I am. [Wink]

Sorry to burst the bubble, but I have to say, this sounds like a really cool idea but I can't IMAGINE it all happening before Bonnaroo. Just off the top of my head looking at the list, you've got a full-on Flecktones tour starting in a week or so and basically going right through to Bonnaroo, right? That basically eliminates Fleck and Wooten as "captains", and that's just for one example. And coordinating all those other working musicians (isn't Warren Haynes already in 20 bands?) and pulling it all off before mid-June... I dunno folks, sounds like a pipe dream to me.

Having said that, it would be a RIOT to try something like this for CTMF - probably not for May but maybe for the July or August fests. Personally I'd be TOTALLY into jamming with any combination of the great musicians from any of those bands, and seeing the results of any other combinations. [big Grin]

Peace,

Mr. M.

Archived