Jambands.ca

Best 10 Phish shows?

CyberHippie

So, I don't really have the Phish knowledge and archive to contribute much to this conversation. But it seems to me as the Phish phenomenon is winding down, it would be great to have the 10 best shows as part of my collection!

I'm thinking 97 has gotta have a good showing in there!

So people what are ya saying? What's the consensus? What do you think could be considered the 10 best shows?

Here's a running list of your suggestions:

07/16/94

11/30/94

10/31/95

10/31/96

12/07/97

12/31/99

Sugarbush '94 has to be up there (but I'm biased).

11/30/94 MSG isn't the greatest show to listen to but it's Page's favourite I think and it was their first time at the Gardens (I am also biased towards this one)

Halloween '95 and '96 have to be up there too (also biased)

its all really subjective, but here are some of my favorites...

Obviously Big Cypress is number one.

It has generally been agreed since teh show that its Phish at their best. And i'd have to agree.

12.7.97 is a super fun show, and the recording floating around is mindbogglingly good.

i'll let others say what they feel are the best, but those two shows i listen to more than most others...

i've listened to all 15 discs of Big Cypress continuesly three times now....once all the way through on teh way to Red Rocks, another time all the way through on the way to Alpine Valley.

That midnight to sunrise set has some of the best gems of the last decade, but often gets overlooked due to the style of jamming...

but i'd take it over any post hiatus show/jam.

Steve

OK, here is your list of top shows. Take it with a grain of salt though, beauty is in the ear of the beholder......

For interesting segue filled jamming:

2.20.93#

6.22.94#

6.14.00#

For tight playing:

7.25.92#

8.13.93#

12.30.95# (maybe the best setII ever)

8.17.96#

For the crazy stuff:

7.16.94#

10.31.95 (F U in the ass vocal jam)

11.27.98#

7.23.99 Set II

For bust outs:

5.1.93? (Nicu return)

For everything at once:

12.30 and 31.99

These #, would be deemed essential.

And overall I would list these as my top 10:

11 and 12.somethingthey're all good.97

8.somethingthey're all good.98

That is all.

Sean

ps. I reserve the right to be flamed for forgetting an ultra heady show, and for choosing anything that wasn't "old skool".

Meh. Novelty show. It was tiring to be at, a joke that wore thin. I wouldn't have minded all the Moby Dick nonsense if they'd played a bit better all around. I honestly prefer the other two nights of this run, although none of the three match the underrated Columbus shows that followed.

Trev - 7/11/00 Deer Creek is a fun, "novelty" show but hardly essential, imo.

A few more I think you could add to your running list:

04-03-98 Uniondale, NY

07-01-97 Amsterdam, The Netherlands

07-22-97 Raleigh, NC

12-29-97 New York, NY

08-15-98 Limestone, ME

12-31-98 New York, NY

09-14-99 Boise, ID

12-03-99 Cincinnati, OH

09-17-00 Columbia, MD

07-14-03 West Valley, UT

08-02-03 IT

12-29-03 Miami, FL

::

You call yourselves 'phans'?

11/22/97 (Sat) Hampton Coliseum - Hampton, VA

Set 1: Mike's Song > I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove, Harry Hood, Train Song, Billy Breathes, Frankenstein, Izabella

Set 2: Halley's Comet* > Tweezer > Black Eyed Katy > Piper > Run Like An Antelope**, E: Bouncing Around The Room, Tweezer Reprise

Comment: *Before they started the set, the crowd chanted the beginning of "Destiny Unbound" (in hopes that the band would play it). Trey acknowledged the chant by saying that he couldn't hear what was being sung; that it sounded like some kind of "death chant"; and asked if this was the point in the show where they do the human sacrifice. He then asked for a volunteer, which was pretty funny. No "Destiny Unbound" was played or even teased. **With "Mike-O-Esquandolas" (instead of "Marco").

(Just a second here. NW took all the fun out of this thread. I am realizing that now. Ok Mr Smarty Pants, where are all those UNBELIEVABLE europe 98 shows? You should have put 07/08-xx-98.)

that 11.22.97 second set is up there with the best... second set of the Gorge 7.17.98 as well...

I dont even know where to start to put together a top 10... my first show at Niagara falls Convention center 12.7.95 still kicks serious ass... Mike's > Weekapaug sickness... and i havent even started in on the Melt...

of course 12.31.99 is THE show!

thers a few... ill add more later...

Crazy.

I just read MarcO's post and figured I had forgotten a few. I was logging in to post about the beauty of that Hampton 97 run.

Another of note is a killer 12.29.98. And there is a nice board of that floating around too.

Its kind of funny how some love some stuff, and others hate it. That Moby Dick show was one of my favs, just for the fun of it all.......

S

I can't even begin to think of a list of the top 10, but some I have not seen mentioned include:

- second set of second day Great Went

- Some of the Europe 98 shows. Specifically 7/6/98 from Prague. Check out the Piper!

- 7/9/97 with Bela Fleck and company. The YEM is nuts

- 12/11/99 - underrated. A kick ass show.

- If you don't have much Phish I would suggest a few shows from different periods - 1991 summer Horns tour, 1997 funk, 1993-94 craziness, 1998 spaciness, etc.

Lots to choose from.

This thread makes me want to get home and listen to some of my collection!

Colin

Here are my faves:

5-8-93 -> Chalkdust, Guelah, Rift, Mound, Stash>Kung>Stash, Glide, MFMF, Reba, Satin Doll, Cavern.....man

2-7-94

6-11-94 -> my favourite show in my collection. Look this one up if you want THE all time setlist. its from Red Rocks.

6-26-94 -> Gamehenge. Nostalgia i guess.

10-21-95 -> Pershing AUd. Open and close the show with Reprise.

6-25-97 -> Europe tour. France. Starts slow but killer second set: DWD>piper>DWD, Meatstick (first ever), Mcgrupp, Makisupa...

08-17-96 Plattsburgh Air Force Base, Plattsburgh, NY

1: The Old Home Place, Punch You in the Eye, Reba, Cars Trucks Buses, Lizards, Sample in a Jar, Taste, Fee, Maze, Suzy Greenberg

2: The Curtain, Runaway Jim, It's Ice, Brother*, Fluffhead, Run Like an Antelope, Golgi Apparatus, Slave to the Traffic Light

3: Wilson, Frankenstein, Scent of a Mule**, Tweezer, A Day in the Life, Possum, Tweezer Reprise

E: Harpua#

Big Cypress

2-22-02 blew my head clean off.

7-11-00 jamming at its finest.

i agree with marc about 7.11 being a novelty show.

the third night, first set, was my favorite set of the creek run. with the my friend to open, curtain with to follow, then tube! it was insane.

but from that run, the first night polaris is without a doubt 'the essential show' from that run.

how can a show with:

lizards

timber ho

stash

FOAM!

mikes groove that opened and closed the second set

bowie

frankie sayz

pyite

man, so many hot songs that first night. it was my 20 somethingth show, and i got FIVE first timers! Mind boggling!

But i haven't found a recording that reflected what i heard....you know, the tornado and all kinda screwed up the tapes!

Steve

I have clean copies of both of those shows.... although the first bit of 7.14 does have some wind.

Do you remember that?!?! Tungsten and I were sitting in our seats, out comes ACDC Bag, then the rain hit and then we had to sit and hope the rest of the show was going to happen. That was a weird 15 minutes. We were way down in the venue and the rain was hitting us it was so strong.

S

trev, make sure you dont foget 12-30-99 when trying to grab Big Cypress...

many, including myself, feel its the superior night.

especially set three, first night. its the single best set i've ever seen.

the mikes, wow. the hydrogen, finally played perfectly. the simple, well, it was more than just a simple. the moma groove, could have lasted all night. even the circus had the most emotion....

w/out a doubt, my fav phish set!

Steve