Jambands.ca

Question of the Day 04-07-03

Ms.Huxtable

What song makes you sad everytime you here it? Why?

Rolling Stones "Angie" does it for me. My best friend from age 14 through 22 was named after that song. We were inseperable, until she met and married Mr. Ass. Mr. Ass didn't like Angie hanging out with me because I am fiercly independent and encouraged Angie to be as well. He's one of those controlling bastards who didn't like her thinking for herself. Unfortunately we don't speak anymore and I think it's because he doesn't let her. She hasn't answer my calls in a couple of years. I miss her terribly and feel awful that she's in the situation she is.

Angie, I still love you, remember all those nights we cried?

All the dreams we held so close seemed to all go up in smoke

Let me whisper in your ear:

Angie, Angie, where will it lead us from here? [Frown]

"Hurt" by Johnny Cash...especially the video.

so very moving.

"everybody Hurts" by REM. I can't even listen to it anymore, cause of the stupid shit I did.

and "Stuck in a moment" U2, it's my realization song. You know that moment when you wake up from the life you've been living and just say "What the f*ck and I doing here?¡"

oh..and "You are so Beautiful (to me)" because of that damn humane society commercial...you know that one from the late 80's/early90's...with the cute beagle puppy all hurt and just stareing into the camara and crying...and it makes you all choaked up and then you begin talking to the TV, trying to reason with the puppy. saying things like "I'd like to help you puppy..but.... I can't afford food myself..and a pet is a big thing for me ...but.. I can't...and...okay, okay I'm dailing, I'm dailing..Hi yes, umm yes, how much to make the puppy stop crying"

My dad passed when I was younger (7), and he introduced me to my love of music from a really early age. One of his favorites was Harry Chapin Greatest Stories Live, I still have his vinyl copy all worn and tattered....

The two songs that really hit me hard are Cats In the Cradle (not freakin Ugly Kid Joe peeps-Harry Chapin); and Amazing Grace. Being Scottish they had the bagpipes playing that as we left the funeral and I'll never escape that feeling of sadness.

Whoa, that was a tough post.

Sean

My Dad was a big fan of Don Williams. There are two of his that, I think, will slay me should I hear them or ever play them:

I've held it all inwards

Lord knows I've tried

But it's an awful awakening

In a country boy's life

To look in the mirror

In total surprise

At the hair on my shoulders

And the age in my eyes

Chorus:

Amanda

The light of my life

Fate should have made you

A gentleman's wife

There's a world full of people

Who don't understand

The pleasures of life

In a hillbilly band

I got my first guitar

When I was fourteen

Now I'm over thirty

And still wearin' jeans

-- "Amanda"

Coffee black

A cigarette

Start this day

Like all the rest

First thing in the morning that I do

Is start missing you

Chorus:

Some broken hearts never mend

Some memories never end

Some tears will never dry

And my love for you

Will never die

Rendevous

In the night

A willing woman

To hold me tight

But in the middle of love's embrace

I see your face

-- "Some Broken Hearts Never Mend"

I don't think I ever heard my Dad sing, and I know he couldn't play an instrument, but I like to think those would be the songs he'd sing to my Mom.

Aloha,

Brad

as far as a song that strikes me on an emotional level every time i play it i'd have to say, "One Step Up and Two Steps Back" its a

bruce springsteen tune from Tunnel of Love:

'last night i dreamt i held you in my arms

the music was never ending

We danced as the evening sky faded to black,

one step up and two steps back'

also Willy Nelson's cover of "The 33rd of August" - gets me every time...

There are a bunch (I cry at anything - at TV commercials, in pet stores, at old Star Trek episodes...) but one that jumps to mind is the Todd Rungren song "Parallel Lines". In retrospect it's got a pretty cheesey 80s sound to it, but I was listening to that a lot at a time when a lot of my friends were moving away to go to university and stuff, and when a number of their relationships (including one of my own) were breaking up as a result of that and other things. It always reminds me of going through that period in your life, when it feels like everything is turning upside and it will never be the same again. And the truth is it won't, but in the end it will probably be better, but you can't possibly appreciate that at the time.

And you can't turn back

There is never any starting over

Parallel lines never do cross over

Peace,

Mr. M.

P.S. Arcane - love your sig quote! I was just listening to the album "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" for the first time in literally years the other day, took me back!

P.P.S. Kitari, your sig is cool too - can't wait for DMB in TO & Buffalo this summer! [big Grin]

I can't say it makes me cry every time I hear it but this is a song I play to myself on guitar when I'm right on that edge and it never fails to move me. I can't sing through it without choking up a little.

A beautiful song. Lucinda Williams is excellent and is, incidentally, Neil Young's opener for his Summer Tour.

Lucinda Williams, "Sweet Old World"

Album: Sweet Old World

see what you lost when you left this world

this sweet old world

what you lost when you left this world

this sweet old world

the breath from your own lips

the touch of fingertips

a sweet and tender kiss

the sound of a midnight train

wearing someone's ring

someone calling your name

somebody so warm cradled in your arm

didn't you think you were worth anything

this sweet old world

this sweet old world

millions of us in love

promises made good

your own flesh and blood

looking for some truth

dancing with no shoes

the beat, the rhythm, the blues

the pounding of your heart's drum

together with another one

didn't you think anyone loved you

this sweet old world

this sweet old world

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Musicface:

P.S. Arcane -
love
your sig quote! I was just listening to the album "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" for the first time in literally years the other day, took me back!

Thanks! I figured it was a good fit with the avatar, not to mention me at the moment.

When I was learning to drive, my grandfather asked me, "Why do we learn to drive?"

Without hesitation, I quipped: "Because it's a necessary evil before we learn to fly."

Equally quickly, he plopped his flight log in front of me and said: "Precisely so. Did I ever show you this?"

Note that I had no prior knowledge he had taken flying lessons. I don't know what's weirder--that I gave the correct answer, or that he had expected me to give it.

There's a new country song out called "The Baby" about a man who was the baby of three kids. His mother passes away and he doesn't get back in time to say goodbye to her.

It came out shortly after my grandmother died. And it just related so closely to my mum and how she didn't make it to England to say her goodbyes....we listened to it together sitting in her car in the driveway one day and both just bawled.

For me it is hard to choose just one, but the traditional one if Matthew Sweet with The Devil With The Green Eyes, the story of far too many parts of my life, and thank the gods that I am beyond this particular foolishness now but the song still punches me straight in the heart :

Devil With The Green Eyes

written by Matthew Sweet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can understand you're living in a prison

I know you can only see me as a vision

I might fade away with the coming of a new dawn

And your heart is breaking

What are you gonna do now

That you're tired of faking it?

Well, it's hard to take it

When you know what happens each time

The devil with the green eyes

Said you were never meant to be mine

'Cause I came up from a dark world

And every love I've ever know is dead