Jambands.ca

Johnny Cash

CyberHippie

i don't know very much johnny cash, but i do know that covers album you can buy is fun stuff! heehee, the NIN cover is great, and i like the version of personal jesus too. hey, doesn't he do a pink floyd cover too? qqc would know, he has it.

heyyy, where is qqc??? i haven't seen him on here in a couple days! ::

A great place to start is: At Folsom Prison/ At San Quentin (The Complete 1969 Concert)/ America collection,I have all three albums (not the box set though) and love them all,although I have more then that those are my favourite and I know I'll be grabbing the box set eventualy.

Unchained is also a really good album on it he even covers Soundgarden's "Rusty Cage" which is awesome.

edit to add:

I also have the Dylan/Cash unreleased studio sessions and it is top notch music,some of my favourite Dylan & Cash.

That Cash/Dylan/Harrison stuff sounds like it would be great!

It is,but if you were to grab either of the two boots,I'd reccomend the Dylan/Cash sessions,much more Johnny on it and its all Bob & Johnny acoustic laughing and forgeting/making up lyrics as the go at times during the songs.

The American Recordings I-IV are must haves really.

These are what PalacePrincess was referring to, i think. I only have v.III, but its great. I dont know if its the quintessential cash, but fun nonetheless. Some covers, some originals...

Yes, i was working yesterday. Good day, i earned $100, a VCR, a CD binder, a coffee warmer, a Prince cassette, and a book about the prodigy (good firestarter :) ). heh

Edit: I also really like the Johnny Cash/Willie Nelson Storytellers cd...

i've been wanting to get the "God, Love, Murder" set, but i dont really know anything about it... but i got a good feeling... anyone have it? or have heard it?

i have folsom prison, and i think that is definately essential... but i think for a good starter, to get a taste, maybe Classic Cash? its a 20 song compilation.. red and greyish cover. its good.

i've been wanting to get the "God, Love, Murder" set, but i dont really know anything about it... but i got a good feeling... anyone have it? or have heard it?

Yeah, I've got that!! It's a triple-CD thematic retrospecive of Cash's career up until about the release of American Recordings; the three themes being love, murder and god (who'duh thunk it?). Lots of great material, hand-picked by the Man himself. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who thinks that they might be interested in Johnny Cash. You can also buy the three discs individually - start with either Love or Murder. ::