Jambands.ca

PRS People are Angels

AD

I sent an email to PRS a few days ago asking if the SCI show was cancelled or not, and if they were still selling tickets... This was their full reply:

"Ya thanks Alan - why don't you leave the promoting to us."

Bunch of great people. Didn't even sign a name. I don't think you're doing an effective job of promoting anything by antagonizing your audience.

AD

(yes I edited this...)

Hello all,

I don't normally respond to petty things like this but I felt the need to this time. Here is Alan's ACTUAL email to us:

According to the String Cheese Incident, they've cancelled the Ottawa show.

Maybe you should stop advertising and selling tickets for this event?

Alan Dodson

If I'm not mistaken Alan you said (and can also read above as this is a forum) that you "sent an email to PRS a few days ago asking if the SCI show was cancelled or not, and if they were still selling tickets..."

You DID NOT ask us if we were still selling tickets.. which is fine. What I would have responded if you HAD ASKED us if we were still selling tickets would have been to let you know that with the cancellation of Lollapalooza (which is why the date was cancelled) we were waiting to hear back from their agent as to what we should be doing for the show ie. are they still doing the date? OR reschedule the show and offer refunds to those who can't make it to the new date OR just refund the tickets and hope to bring them in the next time they are in the area.

I do these shows for the love of the music Alan, and when I run into people like you who just basically lie (ie. the email you wrote VS. what you actually had mentioned in this forum) and slag anything they can it really makes it not worthwhile.

Feel free to not come to any of our future shows, Alan.. I won't miss you at any of them.

Characterizing a difference of opinions or perspectives as lying is not reasonable. Email and online correspondence has a stronger likelihood for misunderstanding due to a lack of physical cues and indicators of sincerity. Promoters want to blow their nut on someone's face just like anyone else.

By the way for those of you with tickets for the Ottawa SCI show I am still yet to hear back from the agent regarding a new date. You can return your tickets at point of purchase or just wait and use the old one on THE NEW DATE if it gets rescheduled in the next week. If it does not we will be doing automatic refunds to those who paid by credit card.

Thanks, Kelly

I agree with you.. I just wish people wouldn't jump on forums like this to call me an asshole when all I'm trying to do is make Ottawa a better place to live. I barely make any money at all doing these shows and when people get into forums and start calling me names I just consider not doing it anymore.

I'm not interested in dealing with people who ARE assholes. and if that means they don't show up to shows where they will probably BE assholes.. to people like the staff, other PAYING customers, the security, etc... then I would rather them just not show up.

There's nothing worse than working long and hard to try and do something, ie. bring bands here (to Ottawa) and have people just slag me.

Guest Low Roller

Hey Kelly, welcome onboard.

That being said, let's not start on the wrong foot. If that was in fact AD's actual e-mail, then I would venture to say that it might've been unnecessarily aggressive and in your face. However as a promoter, and professional, your response should've been more tactful. I'm sure that you deal with much worse sh!t than this on a daily basis and one e-mail should not be the straw that breaks the camel's back so to speak.

Frustrations over factors beyond our control are apparent on both sides of this issue and they shouldn't be allowed to filter down into the community and lead to conflict.

Cheers Kelly, we appreciate what you're doing for the Ottawa music scene. I'll be out for Pennywise tomorrow for sure.

Cheers AD, we appreciate you trying to figure out what's going on with the Ottawa SCI show.

Well yes, Kelly posted the actual email I wrote, and yes I guess in hindsight it may seem confrontational. I don't really know... Of course I appreciate the work of promoters bringing world-class talent to Ottawa and sometimes losing their shirts (Gomez). And I will keep showing up at PRS shows because what's the alternative in Ottawa? Cover bands at Barrymore's?

At the time I slagged you I had no idea it was a one or two person operation (website looks slick, the shows keep coming) so I thought I was emailing a company, and not a (no offense) Ma & Pa operation. Doesn't make what I said any different, but the response really kills the image of 'slickness' for lack of a better word.

Keep in mind though that even as I might have been interpreted as confrontational / rude / whatever, by showing up to shows (many of them) I'm helping your business. And I'm bringing friends out. And neighbours. And you shouldn't be nasty to me for that.

Thanks for bringing the shows. I'm sure we all appreciate it. Welcome to the board. Stick around for a while.

AD

AD there's a large gap between your actual email and what you posted here. I don't blame PRS for being angry about it and in their shoes I would've jumped on here to defend myself from some pretty liberal paraphrasing. In any event you apologized so it's not an issue.

But PRS you've got to choose your battles more carefully. As a promoter, upsetting people on this board could be disastrous both financially and through the negative word of mouth it would generate. We're glad you're here but be careful trashing people for asking a simple question.

And bring back Broken Social Scene :)

We always must remember that emails and forum postings can be taken in many different ways by many people.

Ultimately, PRS looks like they are top of it, and it's pretty clear that SCI has been scrambling to figure out what to do. 'Incidentally', I just received the updated summer tour. Hopefully we'll see something in Ottawa in the fall.

While The String Cheese Incident was sorry to hear that promoters and organizers decided to scrap the plans for Lollapalooza 2004, the band is in no way discouraged by the hesitancy of a hurting concert industry. Just back from a hugely successful Bonnaroo weekend and their own sold-out Horning's Hideout shows in North Plains, Oregon, SCI sees plenty of vitality within the music scene. As bassist Keith Moseley explains, "Despite what the industry is saying, we still believe people want to see live shows."

The band is excited to launch a busy summer season with two performances at Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Colorado with The Allman Brothers Band on July 9 and 10. Both shows are already sold out.

The complete String Cheese Incident summer tour dates are as follows:

Sun Jul 4 Detroit Lakes MN 10,000 LAKES FESTIVAL

Fri Jul 9 Morrison CO RED ROCKS AMPHITHEATRE

Sat Jul 10 Morrison CO RED ROCKS AMPHITHEATRE

Fri Jul 16 Garberville CA BENBOW LAKE

Sat Jul 17 Chico CA THE SENATOR THEATER

Mon Jul 19 Tahoe CA CEASARS TAHOE

Tue Jul 20 San Francisco CA WARFIELD THEATER

Wed Jul 21 San Francisco CA WARFIELD THEATER

Fri Jul 23 Los Angeles CA THE WILTERN

Sat Jul 24 Las Vegas NV THE JOINT

Sun Jul 25 Las Vegas NV THE JOINT

Thu Jul 29 Kansas City MO UPTOWN THEATRE

Fri Jul 30 Omaha NE OMAHA MUSIC HALL

Sat Jul 31 Cedar Rapids IA PARAMOUNT THEATER

Sun Aug 1 Milwaukee WI EAGLE'S BALLROOM

Fri Aug 06 Terra Alta WV JERRY GARCIA'S BIRTHDAY BASH

Sat Aug 07 Terra Alta WV JERRY GARCIA'S BIRTHDAY BASH

Sun Aug 08 Terra Alta WV JERRY GARCIA'S BIRTHDAY BASH

Thu Aug 12 Pittsburgh PA CHEVROLET AMPHITHEATRE @ STATION SQUARE

Sat Aug 21 Raleigh NC ALLTEL PAVILION @ WALNUT CREEK Tue Aug 24 Houston TX HOBBY CENTER FOR THE PERMORMING ARTS

Getting ready to get my arse kicked...and this is my own opinion, after working in the customer service industry for 10 years you have to realize that the saying "The customer is always right" is true. If I had gotten an email response like that from any company or business I would be upset as well EVEN IF THINGS WERE MISUNDERSTOOD or MISWORDED, or if the email was innappropriate from the sender.

Anyhow, as a consumer, I will only do business with people that are reasonable with me, even if I am complaining. I beleive PRS owes someone an apology...BAD BUSINESS.

PRS needs a PR rep it would seem.. I humbley submit myself for consideration. I'll keep these animals off your back Kel...I mean Mr. Wren sir. Seriously I need a job, trained in Advertising and Marketing, experience in Publicity and Promotion, huge music fan taboot. Help me help you.

...shameless I know ;)