Jambands.ca

umphrey's replace phish???

Phunky Cauldron

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's a really good choice personally but it's laughable to think they'll be an arena sized band throwing their own festivals for the better part of a hundred thousand people. I tend to agree with say Weirdness on this one that there will be a band to replace Phish but that they aren't born yet or are in grade school right now.

I just had this image of Chris Farley (RIP) interviewing Trey like on the old SNL skit:

CF: Do you remember when you were in that band Phish?

TA: Yeah

CF: Do you remember when you played that show at Great Woods and I was with my buddy and we took those chocolates and you started telling stories about the Lizard people?

TA: Yeah

CF: That was awesome!

TA: Yes it was.

CF: Are there really Lizard people?

Did Phish really "take over" for the Dead? No way. The end is the end. From here, with Phish as the cosmic centerpoint, all jambands will evolve in different directions.

galactically yours,

Kevin

I agree with you Kevin. Phish were never even as big as The Grateful Dead. Why does somebody have to be as big as Phish? Just because they are ending doesn't mean that a band gets to step in and get the same attention.

I've enjoyed Umpree's McGee the two times I've seen them at bonnaroo. But they're a ways away from ever performing infront of crowds of nearly 100,000 or three or four nights in a row at a single arena.

"Did Phish really "take over" for the Dead? No way."

Actually, I think they did. The touring circus had to go somewhere, and look no further than the attendance numbers put up. Clifford Ball never would have happened in '96 had the Dead been on the road.

That is all I was implying.

Ok, so I cant say for sure, but it definitely plays out like that to me.

Maybe a better way of putting this question would be:

Which band will benefit the most from Phish's retirement?

I'll second Booche.

As much as I'll get flamed, its a lifestyle, not music. Thats why Phish did well. Deadheads had no where to go. Now the people that have no where to go will find somewhere... SCI and WSP being my places to go.

(yes the music has an impact. But I'll be I'm not the only one that coincidentally saw phish for the first time after the summer of 1995.)

I think booche is right. I think the whole music scene itself is going to benefit. These days you see a whole variety of fans at Phish shows and I think by them calling it quits its going to spread the whole scene out.

Some will go the electronic route ala Disco Biscuits/Sound Tribe or New deal while others will lap up the hillbilly jam music of Stirng Cheese or Widespread (I hope its neither of those 2)

There will never be a dead nor a gathering of people that they had. Phish was the closest thing to it, but the scene got more and more sketchy as the years went on.

i think that comment is bunk zero. either you like something or you don't. to intellectualize a band and say that you are superior to other because you 'get it' is just as stupid and the dumb-asses you say don't.

Grateful Dead and Phish are as big as they are because a lot of people actually like them and their sound. i admit there is some 'getting it' to phish, but not much.

i'm just getting defensive because i condider myself to be pretty music savy, but don't like the slip one bit. does this make me less smart than you? probably.

ps - one drop kick to the chest for you fu©ker