Jambands.ca

BUSH VS KERRY TONIGHT!!!

kc

Tonights the night!

Bush vs Kerry Presidential debate.

8:30pm We will be watching it at Pepper Jack's tonight before the Acouticats if anyone is interested.

CHTV will be there to ask our cutomers/viewers their take on how it went down.

@ The Pepper Jack Cafe

38 King William, Hamilton

(905)525-6666

this debate is hilarious... its like watching a worldly university prof (Kerry) argue with someone's opinionated uncle (G.W.)... for once, Bush's repititions don't seem to be holding water... hallelujah!!

Go Kerry! (he ain't no Nader... but, more importantly, he ain't no Bush!)

OK, enough of Iraq.................

what about homelessness?HIV and AIDS? global warming? genetically modified foods? antibiotic resistance? world immunization programs etc etc. Issues that will effect hundreds of millions, probably billions of people.

People i meet everyday, say things that stop and make you think about things, and perspectives.

These two just make you think... of propaganda. how did the world come to this? How could the American President , being one of the most, if not the most powerful people/person in the world have so little to offer in way of insight and foresight?

For once i agree with Bush,

i think we should all pray.

"Yes, its hard work, but we're getting the job done, but the work is hard, its hard work getting the job done."

"Of course I know that Osama Bin Laden attacked us. I know that."

Hard Work. Freedom. Liberty. Terrorists. 9-11. plus about 100 other words essentially sums up George W.'s vocabulary and mentality. If he wins this election I'm going to start cheering on the so called insurgents and the terrorists.

I say "so called" because I'm not sure I wouldn't raise up arms using any means necessary if someone invaded my country either...

fly a plane into the world trade center = terrorist

blow up a humvee driving down your street after warplanes blew up your home and family or a friend's or relative's family = genuine human reaction

OK, enough of Iraq.................

what about homelessness?HIV and AIDS? global warming? genetically modified foods? antibiotic resistance? world immunization programs etc etc. Issues that will effect hundreds of millions, probably billions of people.

There are more debates coming... This one's focus, I believe is foreign policy and homeland security... You won't see much more than talk of Iraq and terrorists...

actually dancingbear, Kerry basically said what you are saying... get the troops out of there and start looking after things at home

there was no excuse to go in and now there needs to be a quick way to get out of there and let them worry about themselves while the states looks after itself... Bush is totally against stem cell research which doesn't help the fight against aids... Kerry wants to worry about employment levels instead of conquest which directly affects homelessness

Burn the Bush.

(Nader is really the guy for the job to help all those things but the world doesn't seem ready for that yet)

I thought kerry looked pretty good, came across as being more confident articulate and had a better handle on the issues. bush looked like he couldn't stray too far from his script

also kerry looked more physically imposing- not much of a reason to vote for him in itself, but it can have a positive effect on voters

it'll be interesting to see the cheney-edwards showdown

Sparks fly during Bush, Kerry foreign policy debate

Last Updated Thu, 30 Sep 2004 23:02:15 EDT

CORAL GABLES, FLA. - The highly anticipated debate between Senator John Kerry and President George W. Bush ended Thursday night with no clear winner, but with each candidate suffering some heavy blows from his opponent.

INDEPTH: US Election 2004

President Bush and Democratic presidential nominee Sen. John Kerry, shake hands before the start of the first of their three presidential debates. (AP Photo)

Kerry wasted no time at all. Just seconds after the debate began, he stared down his opponent and said, "I can make America safer than President Bush has made us." Then he crystallized what will likely be the focus of his campaign for the final month. "This president has made, I regret to say, a colossal error of judgment," said Kerry. "The president made a mistake in invading Iraq."

For most of the next 90 minutes the two men tore at each other over the issue of Iraq - the planning, the invasion, the occupation and how they would get the troops home. Few other foreign policy issues were discussed at any length.

"I've shown the American people I know how to lead," said Bush. "I made some tough decisions. People know where I stand and what I believe."

The president told a worldwide audience that the U.S. has "a duty to defeat this enemy. We have a duty to protect our children and grandchildren."

Bush said the problems U.S. troops are facing today in Iraq are in large part because of his successful military strategy. "I thought they'd stay and fight," said Bush referring to the Iraqi forces loyal to Saddam Hussein. "We're fighting them now."

Kerry, who accused Bush of having no exit strategy said, a Democratic victory in November will change that. "My message to the troops is ... help is on the way."

But Bush's well rehearsed lines hit their mark. Referring again to Kerry's 'flip-flops', Bush said "the only thing consistent about my opponent's position is he's been inconsistent."

The final five weeks of the 2004 presidential campaign may turn on the fallout from Thursday's debate which was set up to concentrate solely on homeland security and foreign policy issues. Seldom have candidates faced-off in such a charged atmosphere with such different views of America's place in the world.

The questions the candidates faced were posed by PBS' Jim Lehrer.

The debate, held at the University of Miami in Florida, brought the Republican incumbent and his democratic challenger face-to-face for the first time in the campaign and gave tens of millions of American voters a chance to size up the candidates.

The candidates have spoken disparagingly of each other out on the stump. In person, except for exchanging a friendly handshake before the debate started, they continued to take pot shots at each other. When asked to describe the character differences between them Bush said, "You cannot lead when you send mixed messages. There must be certainty by the U.S. president."

Kerry shot back that Bush's convictions are part of the problem. "It's one thing to be certain. But you can be certain and be wrong," said the Massachusetts senator.

Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry, left, answers a question as President Bush listens. Debate moderator Jim Lehrer is at center. (AP Photo)

"I won't change my core values because of politics or because of pressure," said Bush.

The issues of North Korea's nuclear ambitions and the continuing refugee problem in the Darfur region of Sudan highlighted differences between Bush and Kerry, but the issue that drove the ideological wedge between the men was, as was predicted, Iraq.

There were no knockout blows and no gaffes. Both men were calm, controlled and well prepared for the other's attacks. But it will now be up to the American public to decide how many of the punches landed, and if it will change their opinion.

A poll released Tuesday by the Pew Research Center shows Bush in the lead, nationally, with 48 per cent of decided voters and Kerry with 40 per cent. CBS News released a similar poll result just before the start of the debate.

The debate lasted 90 minutes, but was hampered by the rules imposed on the proceedings by the two camps. A 32-page rule book was produced banning the candidates from using props, asking each other questions, or coming out from behind their podiums. The agreement even said no reaction shots, but television networks ignored that rule.

There will be two more debates before the Nov. 2 vote. On Oct. 8 in St. Louis, Bush and Kerry will debate with no subject restrictions. Finally, on Oct. 13, in Phoenix, Arizona, the two will debate domestic and economic policy.

Written by CBC News Online staff

I was concerned Kerry may fall into his habit of half-answering the question at hand before answering one that hadn't been asked yet but he managed to stay focused thorughout. What comes across as far as Bush goes is his ability to dumb down sentiments and arguments - while this is distressing for those of us who are concerned about the mental agility of the most powerful person on the planet, it surely must be reassuring to the corn-fed ex-frat-boys in the Mid-West who eat Freedom Fries and wash it down with a nice tall glass of crude oil. It's amazing how Bush has made being an inarticulate spoiled slacker into an asset.

I have this ongoing nightmare that Bush will win in November and assert that a mandate has been granted to him and his administration to carry on further. :(

jfkhuxbooche.jpg

My two cents for what it's worth. It's a given that there is a great deal to political debates beyond the actual words spoken, gesticulations, facial expressions, apparent ease or lack thereof. I think Kerry really stayed on message and more important he had that ineffable quality of 'presidentiality'. Bush really hurt his cause by gnashing his teeth and looking like he wanted to club Kerry at points. Conversely though when Bush does that look into the camera, look into the middle American living room, look into the soul of guys working in light manufacturing in Ohio he is almost unstoppable. The teflon dons sh!t was sticking from time to time. What has struck me more than anything as of late is how Bush has made consistency into a virtue (which I believe Kerry spoke to at one point saying he has been consistently wrong). Kerry really hammered away at the inconsistencies in Bush's position I felt but whether that translates to middle America remains to be seen. Bush's attempts to stick to message and this flip flop business (if I hear that expression one more time I am going to blow) didn't fair as well as he may have liked. The polling suggests that Americans felt the same way. That said let's not underestimate just how stupid middle America and the swing states are. I'm talking dumb motherfuggers here. Comforting to think the future of the world is being decided by the guys who work with Laverne and Shirley at the brewery.

Bush talked about Russia - Kerry's like, "well, I went there after the federation collapsed and toured the KGB...."

Bush talked about sending kinds to war and Kerry goes, "well, as a young man I served this country at war overseas....."

Bush talked about nuclear proliferation and Kerry says, "well,I wrote a book about that about 10 years ago and...."

it's like, how could Bush possibly win?!?

but watch - he just might!

The most telling thing I have heard recently is Seymour Hersh (New Yorker etc.) who has written a new book 9/11 to Abu Ghraid was on the Daily Show the other night and when asked if any of this stuck to the presidency he said basically 'these guys live in their own little world' (meaning Bush, Cheney, Rove and the Neo Cons- they talked about how these 8 or 9 guys basically staged a coup inside the pentagon incidentally). It was a scary thought that I think we all know. I mean the 9/11 commission is pretty clear, the public backlash is pretty clear, the international community's disdain is pretty clear and yet none of it may matter if Bush keeps selling sh!t upstream to the low rent midwestern fu©cker. I seriously can't imagine another four years of this fu©ker if only because I can't listen to him say 'dodn't' and 'wadn't' any longer (I'm pretty sure there are supposed to be S's in there).