Jambands.ca

inspirational follow your dreams movies?

meggo

wrapping up a class this week and i want to give ms. S a break by having the kids watch a flick for a class or 2; any suggestions? something with a theme of following your dream, you can do it, rock the house wit cha bad self, you know... without any sex... good god, i'm afraid to think what would happen if there was a boob exposed to that class, the boys heads might just combust. anyway. thoughts?

angela's ashes is good, and it's a good book too. the sequel which is called 'tis, is becoming a stage production (or maybe it's the original, i forget) it's about a poor irish family during the depression and they eventually emmigrate to the u.s.of course this is pre-bush2, so the states was still a good place to go.

the princess bride is also another good one. it's old enough now that most of your students likely will not have seen it. it's also based on a book by william goldman, not s. morgenstern, contrary to popluar belief.

Here's my suggestion:

B00000ING2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Hudsucker Proxy by Joel and Ethan Coen.

Not a particularly brilliant film, but the most uplifting one ever done by the Coens. The plot is about a country college graduate (Tim Robbins) who comes to New York City to find himself a job. Through wacky events, he finds himself promoted rather quickly to head of hudsucker industries. Along the way there, he is helped by a greedy VP (Paul Newman) and a 'dame' reporter (Jennifer Jason Leigh) who's trying to find out why Robbins rose the ranks so quickly.

thought it might be fitting for a careers class, although, it's pretty unrealistic and stylized... still... might work. No sex, no violence, really... a good, happy-ending comedy.

I just saw a great Canadian film called "Hatley High". It was halarious. Think your typical high school movie where the football team runs things, except in this movie it's the chess team. All the looser/geek types who would normally be on the chess team, are actually on a the basketball team. A funny switcharoo on things.

It's playing on the Rogers movie network on demand channel right now.