Jambands.ca

some guitar expertise??

SaggyBalls

I took advantage of some in store credit I had at class axe in Kemptville - my 12 string would've cost between $350 and $400 to fix properly (the top came apart from the bracing inside the guitar...sad story...) so I got a Yamaha fg-355sb - it's a tobacco brown colour, it plays really well, sounds crisp, has an angled headstock, and has great definition. that's all i know about the guitar...can't find anything on the internet. I even put the serial number into the yamaha serial number wizard...no results.

I just want to know what kind of wood it's made of and if there have been any inherent problems that I should keep an eye on. I've been happy with yamaha guitars in the past when i've played them but this is the first one i've owned.

it has no pickup/piezo saddle/internal microphone...just an acoustic guitar.

it's quite nice. it looks very new but i have no idea how long they've been making this model.

The reason Norman can sell their guitars so cheap to us is 'cuz their Canadian and especially 'cuz their parent company (Lasido) makes a lot of cash selling guitar tops (the sprucey part) to (drummmmmmrolllll) Yamaha and (I think) Takamine, and can thus sell guitars at a lower profit margin. Plus they're great guitars.

The reason Norman can sell their guitars so cheap to us is 'cuz their Canadian and especially 'cuz their parent company (Lasido) makes a lot of cash selling guitar tops (the sprucey part) to (drummmmmmrolllll) Yamaha and (I think) Takamine, and can thus sell guitars at a lower profit margin. Plus they're great guitars.

Also, they are solid wood bodied guitars.

Norman, Seagull and Simon & Patrick are all made by the same Canadian company and are excellent, especially for the money.

A lot of lower to mid Yamaha's are made in either Korea or Taiwan. My first guitar is a Yamaha acoustic, made in Taiwan. The Mississippi Delta runs through Taiwan.

If I knew this was going to turn into a Norman love thread, I'd have never pretended to be nice to Yamaha.

I have a 10 year old Norman B-20 that is my main acoustic. It's developed a great sound, sure it's a little worn becuase it's not a hardtop but I wouldn't trade this guitar for anything.

my first guitar was a yamaha fg-345. i still have it after 23 years but it has a crack in the neck block, so it's got like a built-in whammy bar now if you wiggle the neck.

i play a 1932 gibson kel kroyden now and i just got a ten year old gibson starburst - it's at ring music getting the pickup fixed.

still like the yamaha tho. it's barky.

beats - if your guitar is made of plywood you don't have to worry so much about a humidifier. I guess it would be good to prevent the neck from shrinking and to prevent the frets from sticking out.

I've been playing a Norman for the last 10 years and really they are great guitars for the price.

However, there comes a time in everyone's life when it becomes absolutely imperative to go get yourself a high end acoustic guitar. :)

I just picked up a Taylor 814CE L7. I absolutely love it. As far as a Martin Vs. Taylor debate, I spend my days between 25 Martin's and 45 Taylor's and I think that they are such different guitars that you can't compare them. Its funny because the things people like about one are the same things other people hate about them.