Jambands.ca

Q'sOTD - 2/08/05

scottieking

hmm... im not sure i can properly respond to this, because, well, i dont feel like a vet, and i dont feel like a noob... my post count may portray me as more of a vet, but i just like to type, really... and when you can type fast, well, you can cover more ground... but i'll try. ::

basically, i started lurking around this place in the fall of '02, and eased into being a full on regular poster somewhere around the fall of '03. to be honest, i havent noticed much of a difference in the way things were a year and a half ago, to the way they are now. im speaking in general terms... i mean, the thread topics seem to be generally the same... there are local topics, there are band topics, there are party topics... i've definitely noticed a shift in which topics get the most attention, its no surprise that its the party topics.. but i think thats a natural progression of people getting together on a more regular basis, forming some type of relationship, and basically just wanting to shoot the sh!t, rather than discuss more meaningful topics.

i find the more meaningful topics, whether they be about a band, or a political situation, or whatever the case, tend to get treaded more lightly on... my thought on that goes back to the fact that when there's a more personal relationship involved, its harder to get more heated, for lack of a better expression, and i dont mean that in a negative way, heated can be positive, too, but im just trying to say that its easier to joke around with your *buddies* than get into a heated debate over such and such topic.

not to mention that these topics, although they pop up here and there, are becoming fewer and further between. why is this? i dont know. are people running out of things to say? are they predicting results, so they're more apprehensive to post, based on what they know of people? is it that people see each other more often now, so these topics get covered in person? like i said, i dont know.

personally, i post because i like to talk. i dont know how meaningful my posts are on the whole... i can dip my brush in just about any paint can, you know? christ, beats' rhetoric is getting into me.... :: ... but i will say this: i have definitely noticed that when i start a topic, the more meaningful or engaging it is TO ME, the fewer views it gets. the stranger, or sillier it is, the more views it gets. truthfully, it keeps me sending pm's back and forth with various individuals i would prefer to discuss the topic with.

a few people have mentioned they miss kung, and i agree, because for all his sh!t disturbing he also brought more engaging conversation to the table than just about anyone else... some have noted the cycles of sh!t disturbers... this is true, however, the new sh!t disturber(s) really have NOTHING OF SUBSTANCE TO OFFER. not that everyone needs to have something of substance to offer, but when its just constant bullsh!t, it gets old and boring real fast. at least make it funny, right? keep me interested with your sh!t disturbing, or just fu©k off. seriously.

i dunno.. its just how i've been seeing things lately... i'll admit i'd like to see more meaningful topics, but we're all capable of starting threads, so we're all part of the problem. if there is a problem. i dont know that there is. there's not much going on these days...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, I think what it has come down to for me, personally, is a shift in the participation of the people that used to be on all the time. I think that newbies tend to post more, I know that veterans definitely pick and choose these days (with a few exceptions). I certainly am NOT inviting the elements that promote negativity for negativity sake, but at the end of the day, I think it all comes down to more meaningful participation.

Hmmmm...

Well, I think I qualify as a "newbie" and perhaps I post too regularly. Perhaps my posts are not "meaningful participation" and simply waste everyone's time.

As it happens, I do post reviews of shows I see in the West, although they don't happen to be Diesel Dog or The Slip. They are not always jambands, but they sometimes are. What I notice, however, is that no one seems interested in learning about new bands. I recently posted a review of a New Monsoon show (amazing jamband from San Francisco) from when they played in Vancouver, and it received next to no reads.

If the "veterans" feel that the "newbies" are wasting their time (me included) then please say so and I will post no more. No problem. If, however, the "veterans" feel that I (a "newbie") have something "meaningful" to say, then I'd like to hear that and I will continue to participate.

So, what's the verdict "veterans"?

StoneMtn, lets look at Booche as an example... he may think hes a veteran because he has some 7000 odd posts but that dude ammassed that in less than a yr...i heard he forged some stuff now that he's a mod just to make it look like he's old school... he likes to think he's not a newbie but whatever... we are all valuable additions to this board at least thats the way I see it... your imput is as necessary and vital as anyone elses...

I stick around because I would miss this place and all you people if I didn't have access to you day in, day out, even you freaks who drive me friggin' crazy. I've met some really nice people through this board and generally get a smile out of this place. More and more, I've been writing responses, and then *not* posting them, trying to give sober second thought to my tendency to dominate conversations. Another part of that is there hasn't been much discussed recently that has grabbed my attention. Conversations around here tend to spike up in numbers in relation to the extremes of positive and negative experiences.

For me, this board isn't really a music board anymore. I mean, years ago, my interest in bands like Phish and The Dead, and more locally, BNB, the Fat Cats and the New Deal led me here. I am still interested in those bands but have really only found one or two others along the way through this board that I really want to listen to. I think in a lot of ways, hanging around a "jambands" board has made me realize how uninterested I am in a lot of "jambands". But that's ok too. Not meant as an all-encompassing negative dig, just a statement of my own personal truth.

However, the upside is the beautiful people and the humanity of it all. On this board, I've witnessed life, love, deaths, births (forthcoming, yay!), illnesses and transformations that make me wanna stick around for more. So for me, this board is different than it once was. I admit I miss some of the oldtimers who don't post as much but I understand the need to get away from this place (I must try that someday) and new members are always fun to get to know. Hell, I just found out last month that Ray Ray is my neighbour Rachel whom I've known for years!

See you at a show sometime, somewhere. Hug me. I need touching.

yeah, marcO...i think a lot of jambands really suck. good times, crappy music. but i think a lot of bands in general are crappy.

i'm not in a band at all and if i were it'd brahbably be sh!tty for awhile too...

this board is awesome and i appreciate everybodys' opinions. I'm glad to have been 'put in my place' here and there, but i'll still generalize. hippies smell.

i love all you stinkers!

Stone Mtn. - I think that anyone that knows me will tell you that I don't have an elitist bone in my body. Your contributions and of many others are some that I legitimately enjoy reading. You are a great part of this community.

I suppose I should have not used the terms newbie and vets, they are unfair and do, as someone else pointed out, infer a hierarchy. To be honest, I'm not sure what I was up to. I realize that the universe, both right here and out there, ebbs and flows, high and low. I firmly believe that dialogue can change things and perhaps I was subconsciously hoping to bring about some sort of change. I'm a sentimental sap, I love "the good old days" of alot of things but in no means meant to insult frequent posters, I guess I just wanted to spur on some old faces. I love this place and all who work so hard to make it happen including the ones who still put the effort into posting. I'm babbling at this point but hey, it's dialogue and it's positive.

PS You know anyone out there in Whistler that makes Grand Bend their summer home? I could compile a list of about 20 over the last few years!