Jambands.ca

Q'sOTD - 2/08/05

scottieking

Yesterday, MarcO began his discussion with "in an effort to stir things up around here"

So I offer, have things gotten stale around the Skank? Has the Skank diverged from its original mandate? What is the mandate? Is it different things to different people?

Personally, I have seen a change in the Sanctuary. It's still a great place to hang out, meet some folks, pick up loads of info (some useful, some useless) and talk about music. Currently however, with the disbandment of one Phish (remember when this used to be called the Phish Sanctuary?), the ebbing of the Can Jam scene, and generally running out of "topics" (who wants to fight the indy/jam battle again?) perhaps we've jumped the shark.

However, I think what it has come down to for me, personally, is a shift in the participation of the people that used to be on all the time. I think that newbies tend to post more, I know that veterans definitely pick and choose these days (with a few exceptions). I certainly am NOT inviting the elements that promote negativity for negativity sake, but at the end of the day, I think it all comes down to more meaningful participation.

I dunno, it's alot to chew on. So chew.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DaveO moved to Moncton thus creating a shift in the time-space continuum.

"Excluding relativistic effects, time just keeps moving forward. We can't slow, stop, or reverse it, but it is something with which we must deal. Whenever we describe an object's place in the universe, there is a time factor involved as well as a spacial location. For example, if I give some one my address, that assumes that I am living at that address right now. It's not the same address at which I was living just a few years ago. So, space and time are both parts of our universe."

In essence, DaveO fu©ked everything up, including Phish.

Booche took me to task for complaining about this subject yesterday and today he's full on blaming me, so here it goes...

When I log in on a Monday morning I like to read what people thought of the bands they saw this weekend. This has been severely lacking around here lately. Although it's entertaining to hear about pre/post party shenanigans, at the end of the day I could really care less. D Dog/H Mouse thread for example - From the number of views you'd think it was the biggest event to ever hit Ottawa and 210 posts later, BradM finally mentions something substantial about the bands and music. (bonus marks to AD for his Cuff The Duke, Frontier Index comments this weekend)

Say what you will about all the garbage on Phantasy Tour, but at least I get to read what some toolbox thought of Phix or The Breakfast or [insert regional band here] last night.

So much talk, so little said.

But really I just visit here to read MarcO's funny comments, poke fun at Booche, maybe see Hux in a leather vest and generally get a laugh during the workday. So carry on.

I don't know there was ever a shark to jump. Could I just say that if there was perchance it coincided with Luke's leaving here?

I also like to poke fun at the occasional member (or Booche's lack of one worth poking fun at) but more interesting to me are the discussions of substance that take place, be they music hopefully but also outside of that.

Increasingly I'm finding fewer occasions and certainly less time to make any contributions, and the music I'm seeing and listening to doesn't necessarily fit too neatly into the jambands world. It doesn't make me better than anyone else, and I'm not the only one moving in that direction, but if I wasn't at the diesel dog show I don't see it as my place to comment on their music lest we fall into what Dave-O is saying about circumventing show talk for party talk. I imagine also that for those people who aren't clearly connected to the local groups of skanks in Ottawa or KW, they wonder what their role is and how they can contribute to city-centric discussions about bands they actually know...if the conversation centers around who was at the afterparty then there's not that much to say really.

Lurker promotional campaign?

Increasingly I'm finding fewer occasions and certainly less time to make any contributions, and the music I'm seeing and listening to doesn't necessarily fit too neatly into the jambands world.

Write about bands that you like. I think there's enough people on this board that hopefully don't listen to strictly " jambands ".

I can safely say, I've reeled back my reading and posting at work quite a bit. I have done that because I can get out of control just continually refreshing. When I get home, I have so many posts to go through I try and keep my responses short rather than spend 2 hours reading and posting.

Interesting questions Mr King... I dont think the phrase 'jumping the shark' neccesarily applies, because I think that refers to the peak of a wild success, and hitting the maximum of potential popularity and relavance, and then beginning an irreversable decline. At least scene-wise, which is the main function of this board, i dont think it applies- yet.

Theres still a lot of room for growth in whats now a good 5 years old in this scene and I think that weve seen a lot of growth continuing, at least here in Ottawa. Every show I've been to since New Years.. all big rockin crowds. Great all-round nights.

However, board-wise, exciting and forward discussions have become more rare.. its a little difficult to analyze/ critique everything that happens when you're getting to know everybody involved very closely. Working positively within a community, you want to encourage people, rather than disuade them from persuing their art. Sometimes I withhold some opinion, because it's something better learned somewhere else. We're a pretty tight circle, and this website differs very much from american versions in that EVERYBODY knows each other. I have seen both sides of the courtesy on this board. and I think its great.. that being said, the only way to attract new participants is to open the debates and conversations to anyone who can access this site. and make it real, interesting, and challenging. i miss kung too, btw.

Most days at work have me really swamped and unless my boss is out of the office (like the last couple days) I rarely have the time to post like I used to.

Having been on the board for a few years now I notice a pattern to it. Winter topics are different than summer touring and festival topics, and each summer a new generation of Skanks sign up and post their hearts out. There's always going to be the goofy topics (hell they're what makes this place so much fun) and there will always be a sh!t disturber and there will always be posts that we've seen before. But we have to remember just because we've read it all before, doesn't mean it's not new for other people.

The site is called jambands.ca and sure at times the forum contains a pathetic amount of music-related topics. But what makes this place special is that we're all connected through a network of friends. If my friends only talked about music, I think I'd find them a bit boring. Viva le Sanctuary!

Speaking from years of geekcentric board experiences, I have to say, your perception of changing attitudes, discussions, moods & topics is not wrong, nor is it rare.

This place, like life, television and the people that hang out on the steps of the church on the corner, goes through cycles.

I guarantee the conversations will make their way back to the music...and I look forward to reading and participating in everything in between.

:)

In the meantime, let's talk about something else fun...I'll give you a topic...

Saucy Lingerie: Necessary Sexy Indulgence or Waste of Money--Discuss!

personally i come on here for entertainment, to consume it and produce it. i also come on here to find out what's going on or do some shameless promoting of my friends' bands. the odd time that i do get to see a band whose drummer i don't live with i usually comment on them. all of the threads that have nothing to do with music are fine by me, i love the ethical and philosophical debate threads and even the inane party threads are fun. you get to see how people that were at the same thing had a totally different experience and i find that really interesting sometimes. basically i like this place because it creates a community out of this incredibly busy and isolating world. i see hundreds of different people everyday but i don't feel like i connect with very many. at least when i go on here i know i can participate in discussions with people that know where i am coming from and i understand their perspective too.

personally enjoying the lull, as my post count attests to I can get carried away with posting... lately when it gets busy I'm more likely to turn away

its good to be watching more history and nature channel again

(my answer: everything goes in cycles to remain healthy... anything carrying on too long at the same speed would become unbearable eventually)

edit: looking forward to things picking up again so I can put my Internet Urinal to the test

10727.jpg

So I offer, have things gotten stale around the Skank? Has the Skank diverged from its original mandate? What is the mandate?

Not sure about a mandate,although my understanding of the word doesn't seem to apply here,perhaps I am misunderstanding the meaning your refering to.

I still read alot about music (in general) and our "scene",so outside of any deep debate or discussions,things seem relativley the same to me.

Is it different things to different people?

I'd say yes,it is.

I'd imagine that what I find to be less "meaningful" posts or threads could mean somthing to another and vice versa,participation is completly up to the individual and if they don't want to participate then really its their own fault.Although,I have heard a few folks state they wish it was the same as it used to be before the board hit 500 members,although I don't really understand that since I always thought the point of a public messegeboard like this one was to bring folks together it seems that some folks would rather it wasn't.

For me anyway,its a great way to keep in touch with my friends out of town and to check up on shows,reviews,CDs,get introduced to new music,pass some time and have some laughs.Especially when I am bewteen jobs due to medical reasons.

I'm posting less (somewhat) cuz I'm spending more time outside,with the weather latley it seems pointless to stay indoors in front of a television or computer screen at times.But,thats me,I can't stand the TV.

Not quite sure if my ramblin' is making sense my meds are kickin in right now and I keep getting distracted mentally and losing my point... :P

I think Mr King might be up to something here...

I do agree to a point that maybe the discussion hs gotten stale at times and im with DaveO in logging way too many hrs over on PT... but ive also seen this come and go for a few yrs now... there are always ups and downs... dont forget theres a lack of hockey posts this year too... no bitching between Leafs and Sens fans... we all know who comes out on top of that battle anyways...

You guys up there HAVE come to terms with it by now right?

I still find this as being my place of friendship online though... a sanctuary if you may...

I also think alot of the "original members" tend to read threads and think it may be getting a bit like PT at times and dont want to post... but all in all this is still the best site online for great people, great music, great friends!

Hear here! I think it in part started to go buggy when zero went on a rampage...I thought it was ridiculous and know that some of what he said rang clear with me...the 'go do somethng with your lives' sentiment rang true to me...I started to enjoy life a bit more, knowing that as many of you out there, I'm a gifted individual(everybody that's reading this right now should say the same about themselves right now...maybe wording yourself differently...'i'm the shiznit' works splendidly i might add). With our potentials we could conquer the world (even our own little worlds) and instead many of us plug in and amuse ourselves.

I think it's boiled down to a hearty stew rather than the watery broth it has been in days past. the more we need to feed the more broth gets put back into the pot, the recipe gets bland, and it's back to leaving the boiling pot to mellow and strengthen its flavours and aromas.

one thing i do know is that we're all hungry for some sort of inter/personal interaction with people that understand certain intangibles that not everybody can quite grasp. That's one thing i love about this board...that there's some love and care put into the 'plugging in' rather than just ranting on some blog about so and so or his stupid girlfriend.

We've all got something to say and people to say it to.

I know I want to make the most of what i've got but it almost bothers me that enough of the 1:45 hours I've spent online today has been focused on this board, even if only a little. I know that the days i have nothing to do with this community I'm perfectly fine and that my life goes on, but I keep coming back and putting myself out here as many of you do...what if we all focused our time and energy on something else as intently as we focus it online?

Personally i'll still be here but thinking like that really can put things into perspective.

what do we all want to accomplish with ourselves? do we have goals that aren't realized because of poor planning?

it's realizing our lives. I know that without this community My life would be decidedly different, that's something I've come to realize. I think many of us are growing to appreciate things a bit differently and choosing our words a bit more as of late. I have from time to time and dislike doing so - i've actually been asked to go and edit posts for various reasons...some of which i've done gladly, some of which made me shake my head in disbelief. I've got the perspective that 'it's just the internet and the noise you make is yours...it's nobody's business but yours...quit playing into silly immature gossip and you'll understand where i'm coming from'

I'll still do my thing and i urge everybody to follow suit.

the board will be all the happier for it in the long run.