Jambands.ca

whats happening in Ottawa this weekend?

Tickler

My plans this weekend have me at The Pour House (William & George St., in the Byward Market) for The Spades, both Friday and Saturday; also note that the Spades shows are free.

hey, see if you can get them to play 'cumberland blues' again! i think they did a cover of it once this winter, in dedication to the skanks's own moooose.

i can't wait to see the spades again - next friday in ptbo with the sadies!

definately recommend you Ottawa-ers check out Wassabi

I was calling it "3rd Generation" Wassabi after the show last weekend, you can tell they've put a lot of hard work into the band... had a blast... there's no dancefloor like the floor at a Wassabi show

Damn that was hot seeing my bad ass lady throw a right hook. I jizzed but just a little.

Why is it that, despite being right in the thick of things for the entire show, I'm never around to see any of this stuff? I meant Sunshine hitting somebody, not Gateaux jizzing, of course.

Aloha,

Brad

I was calling it "3rd Generation" Wassabi after the show last weekend, you can tell they've put a lot of hard work into the band... had a blast... there's no dancefloor like the floor at a Wassabi show

Wouldn't 3rd Gen. Wassabi be last summer when they were a sh!tty reggae act?

1st Gen. - mirimbas still around, great show, kind of world beat

2nd Gen. - mirimbas gone, 4 piece, organic trancey goodness*

3rd Gen. - Guisto influenced generic reggae, no dance vibe at all**

4th Gen. - the current touring Wassabi... I'll find out Friday...

*Wassabi's peak, in my opinion... That band had something GOOD going on

**Wassabi at it's worst... I saw 5 shows and hated pretty much every moment of each of them...

From what I've heard of the 4th Gen. stuff it's a little more dancey, but the beats are far inferior to what they were busting out as a 4 piece... I'm reserving my final judgement for after the show on Friday, and I'm really hoping they have their sh!t together. I used to consider Wassabi to be one of my favorite bands, but last summer's reggae-fest left a real bad taste in my mouth...

okay, the new drummer does not pound the beats out as hard as the old one, or as fast with such a clean sound. You prob won't find it as satisfying Del.

The raggae to faster songs ratio is 1:1. Melissa raps now. yeah that's right, raps. the guitarist raps/does his raggae thang with a jamaican accent. both are hilarious.

melissa has this new keyboard samply thing like GTB has and it adds an interesting element, however the flurish with which she hits the keys ruins the seriousness of the moment. and i'm not saying that because i'm a melissa hater, it's just the truth. you'll most likely find it a lame combination of 2nd and 3rd with momentary flashes of what they used to be that you loved so much. I think I noticed Melissa playing her drums less actually, and she's got two snares (i think) that she plays poorly with sticks and she had this duel thing going on with the drummer which would have been awesome if she was slightly better and the old drummer was still there.

I was sober, well stoned, but mostly sober, and i guess if i was on e it would have been better. there were lots of cracked out lookin kids there who seemed to be having a great time, one kid even had a white suit shirt and a tie. kickin it old school i suppose.

they still have hula girl tho, at least there's eye candy.