Jambands.ca

Reports from CTMF?

Basher

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to everybody who shared a laugh or smile with me this weekend. It was great to see the circle grow even more this year. I am sure that many moments will come back to me throughout the week and bring a smile to my face.

The Slip was the musical highlight for me. They brought tears to me eyes at least three times I can't wait to se them again in a couple hours.

I think the Tummies brought a tear to my eyes at one point as well.

The [Mad] Evil Hot Tub Man [Mad] was my nemesis, I think I told him off at least four time as well as woke him up from slumber to turn of the truck. I talked to Tonin and he assured me that a no idling rule will be in the works for future festivals.

Things got confusing during some introductions my real name being Crystal but my avatar name being Catphish and not Crystal_Tears although it was great meeting her. In fact we are beside each other in the group picture which is ironic.

Wowzie wowzie wow wow … what a weekend! I can’t even begin to put any structure to what happened at Frontier Town this past weekend, so here is my random blast of happy thoughts from what will undoubtedly go down as one of the best weekends of my entire life:

Watching it rain all day on Friday but then arriving at Frontier Town on Friday at around 6 p.m. just as the rain stopped. It didn’t rain once after that, and Sunday was absolutely perfect weather for an outdoor music festival … not too hot, not too cold, lots of sunshine, an almost full moon, twinkling stars …

Talking with the guys from PEI that I met in the saloon on Friday while the sampler disc from the Waterloo Bombshelter show was playing in the saloon. And thank you Esau13 for your kind words about that disc. I appreciate it. It is really cool to meet people that have traveled a long distance to an event. The energy that travelers bring to a party cranks it up yet another notch.

Rose Garland’s great dose of Dead on Friday night in the Saloon, and the positive feedback from the band members and their fans about what was happening at Frontier Town. It was nice to have some new bands and lots of Frontier Town first timers at this CTMF.

Waiting with Meagan for Jomomma to start playing on Friday night. Absolutely hilarious … one of those “you had to be there” moments. Yes it sucked that Jomomma barely got to play, but the wait was probably the funniest moment of the weekend for me.

Diesel Dog > Mark Wilson & The Way It Is > nero > The Wassabi Collective … I was stoked for this all weekend, and I had the BEST time as it all went down. Oh yes, and meeting Paul and Sorena from Highway Freeker on Saturday afternoon at the Bank and again at night in the Saloon while Caution Jam cranked out the tunes like only they can.

Putting the disco ball on top of Wi!!y’s van [big Grin]

Getting ready to go to bed on Sunday morning, only to run into my buddy Scot, who had just woken up to pee. So we both stayed up and had a great stroll through the campground, laughing our asses off as we walked. Sorry to anyone that we woke up on this journey.

The conversation that I had with Jennifer from Wassabi Collective on Sunday afternoon … my favourite conversation from the weekend … thank you for sharing that time and energy with me. It is easy to support a band when the band members that I talk with give off such great energy. And it certainly doesn’t hurt when members of the band lead an all-night drum jam for 2 nights in a row, in addition to their scheduled set of music!!!

The Slip … I know that some people were disappointed that they didn’t lay down dance grooves, but wow, can those guys play! There were more than a few times when I could not believe my eyes and ears as I watched and listened to them.

Guesthouse playing Loose Lucy … brought back fond memories from a Dead show I was at where that song was played.

Friends of Hefner in the saloon and Acoutissabi around the fire to close things out. It was a treat to have two acts to choose from, and made for some room in the saloon, which was especially nice when things got funky!!!

Dancing all weekend with and among so many people I could never list them all, but here’s a bunch of names to start with. This list includes people that I distinctly remember seeing and being inspired by while dancing (not including band members), and whose names I remember. For those of you that know me, you’ll know that this list would be much longer if I had a brain for names. Not to mention the effect that 3 days at Frontier Town has on one’s memory! Thank you for the dancing inspiration blair, mud, backbacon, studog, adam, loletta, crystal, sunshine, shannon, erin, tungsten, denise, ann, dr. hux, ms. hux, bouche, booche, dave, stapes, willy, rafael, scot, deb, dancing man, super freak, greg (esau), allison, yo, karin, paisley, jason, swifty, swifty’s wife (man oh man I’m sooooo bad with names), and many many many more I am sure. And an extra big inspirational thank you to scottieking!

And it was especially nice to see Bouche, Sharon, KevO, and everyone else that helps with jambands.ca … people are always thanking me for what I do with the site, and to be truthful, at times I feel like I do very little compared to what others do to help the scene. It takes a community of people to make it happen, including the bands, fans, promoters, managers, etc. It is so nice when everyone comes together to celebrate what we have. And what we have is magical and special. I am a lucky man to be involved with this community!

Peace, love and hugs to all!

Mark

quote:

Originally posted by Booche:

but seriously now, I met KevO?

Yup! It was back at Skank city late on Saturday night perhaps.. After Wassabi I think. And we were sitting around, Bouche was playing tunes, PassedOutGuy was out of it. I gave you a shot of Sambuca i believe! And you were sayin how you pictured me as looking like what MarcO actually looks like, and vice versa. Ring a bell yet? [Wink]

quote:

The Slip … I know that some people were disappointed that they didn’t lay down dance grooves, but wow, can those guys play!

Fucking hippies. [Mad][Mad][Mad]

I was staying far away from this topic, but it really made me pissed off when i heard more than one tool state, damn, these guys are boring, we need wassabi again.

[Mad][Mad][Mad]

Just proves what some people actually know about music. THe Slip was my favorite performance by any band @ Frontier Town since my first time seeing Jukejoint up there...

I made sure The Slip boys new it too. Smoked a fatty after their show, thanked them for making the trip north, and told them H-town was ready to make them feel at home....

WHich we will. [big Grin]

Oh my goodness, I forgot someone on my "inspiration for dancing" list: secondtube, walking through the saloon on Friday night, just before Rose Garland started things up, sharing his late night snacks and jovial personality with the band and everyone in the place.

Thanks Steve, and don't let those hippies get to you too much [Wink] Actually, most of the "complaints" that I heard were more from people that are into the dance/rave scene. If somebody was expecting a band like Wassabi or the New Deal or JSB on Sunday night, I can see why they may have been disappointed by the Slip. That's ok, because the people I talked with still respected the band, nobody was throwing bottles at the band or booing them, and the Slip got a huge applause at the end of their set (and thankfully came back out for a great encore!) Yes there were some people that wanted another dance band, but lots and lots of people loved the Slip. I guess I'm lucky in that I loved pretty much all of the music that went on during the weekend, including the stage acts and the campfire jams.

Peace, love and sweet sweet music!

Mark

yes, friday night was a great night. the bassist from Rose Garland personally thanked me the next day for that "treat".

I was sooooo blown away by Wassabi and The Slip, making it for an amazing, amazing weekend. The pictures i got were perfect, the vibe i felt was unbeatable.

Oh Tonin, your next on the photo wheel. I have perfect shots of your dancin hip thrust, karate chop, AND air guitar; as well as a friendly embrace with dancin man.

THey will be up shortly. Can't wait to see everyone tomorrow night....its going to be fun....

I should even have some more treats. [big Grin]

Steve, can you please post the link to your photos. Sorry if it is blatantly obvious where they are ... sometimes I am blatantly oblivious [big Grin]

I am editing this post by adding another line to it because I now realize just how blatantly oblivious I am [Wink] after re-reading secondtube's post which clearly states that the photos "will be up shortly."

Peace, Mark

I had camping neighbours who were of the techno/rave crowd. I wish I had asked them about what they thought of the Slip. The thing is, this isn't a dance festival, it's a music festival and anyone with any sort of musical understanding would be able to tell you that The Slip is at a level well beyond most music. Absolutely outstanding.

The thing that is really confusing me is:

I DANCED MY ASS OFF TO THE SLIP!

Who had a hard time dancing to that? I was going wild up front.

Eternal love and peace to all!

i agree that the Slip are excellent musicians, a cut above the average when it comes to musicianship and even cohesion - i did enjoy watching them play - however i can see the other side of the coin to, i.e. that they are a pretty cerebral band and that doesnt always hold the interest of a VERY physical crowd.

don't get me wrong i think they rock - its just that they rock with a bit too much 'Jazzitude' for certain crowds.

The Chathamites must still be partying, cause I haven't heard reviews from any of them. Glad to here everyone had a great time, wish I was there, but I had to settle for camping in the mountains with Solar Garlic, myself and friends.

peaceinjam.jamesd.

quote:

Dude your dog is bleeding, oh wait his skin is just really pink (Solar Garlic)

Okay, I've got more to say than that. All I wanted on the train from Montreal and the drive up from Toronto, was to sit back and drink beer from a can. 70 cans and three wild nights later, I was satisfied. My favorite Slip song was a great ballad about "cold water will allow...we'll be home, we'll be home, she'll be sleeping by now" One of those catchy ditties that has been in my head steadily. Wassabi was incredible, and just out of curiousity, did anyone catch the name of the bright-red haired girl in the front. I talked to some of the band members, but couldn't work up the courage to approach this girl.

Anyway, choosing Montreal as a place to live is really coming in handy, as Wassabi is here Friday and the Slip Saturday. If anyone can make it, I'll see you there!

yeah fun fun fun. Doing sound was a nightmare as usual but hey i like a challenge. Great to meet so many new folks and party with all you other crazies. I don't think i've stayed up that much at other CTMF's...well that could have been because booche was YELLING ALL GOD DAMN NIGHT!!! heheheh sheesh...

Some fun sights:

-the giant chair of circles and garbage(glad it got cleaned up...) around skank central-looked like an explosion...

-the dude who came in the sound booth and freaked out to the lights for awhile...

-ah crap there are tons more but it's early...

• 11 months later...

Archived