Jambands.ca

Plaskett Emergency last night

bONES

I absolutely LOVED the show!!!

It had mellow moments and rock'n moments.

Come on Teacher was played.

I'm afraid I'm not the greatest with names, but he played most of the songs I wanted to hear.

What a great performer! I love all his stories and how he constantly talks to the crowd!

It was a chilli night, but the vibes were great!

Hope you're feeling better today than you were yesterday, bradm. I was feeling pretty dodgey myself last night, but headed down to the park anyways -- was really hoping to catch The Golden Dogs, but missed 'em only to arrive in time for Lowest of the Low (who aren't my bag). But I heard the GDs were in good form and a-rockin'.

Plaskett's stage banter was great, and he was worth the shivery cold, IMO. Anyone know if it is going to be broadcast in full? He kept talking about being taped for the radio ...

I watched 24. It was awesome!

i had never watched that show before until I was off work sick. I caught the last two episodes and missed last night due to my recovery (hence back at work :( )

what an edge of your seater! what happened with the missle that was launched? did they all blow up or did jack save the hour?! something tells me he came through..haha

I really enjoyed the Golden Dogs. They were fun, high-energy, rockin and they played some good tunes. Good way to get the night started. I'll catch them next time around that's fo-sho..June 17th at Mavericks! Doesn't hurt that they have a good looking keyboardist either! Didn't enjoy Plaskett that much...just didn't do it for me. I think he was hinting at a Frozen Cocktail allnight but I don't think anyone obliged. What was the final count? 213? I liked the Tasty Noodles sign much better...The Healty Choice.

I can't say I cared for it all that much either. Nothing wrong with it, so much as it just wasn't my thing... I think there was one song he was singing that had lyrics that went something like: "Extraordinary... Extra Ordinary..." I guess I just found his music to be a little too extra ordinary and not all that extraordinary... He played a decent guitar, but I found the rest of the show left me lacking...

hey cowboy - he played nonbeliever for you.

also played: light of the moon, work out fine, down at the khyber? -->'i saw smoke, and i saw red...', true patriot love (with sleeping with the tv on intro... holy fuck i didn't think he'd stop talking on that one.), there's a reason why i love this town (?is that what it's called??)

peter elkas came on for a few too

he came out rockin, but kinda faded for me. his guitar solos and such were not anything special... the energy came when the three of them were all giving it. i had a great time overall - while joel's solo shows were great, i prefer when he's with the emergency. looking forward to seeing them again when they've been practising as a band for a while (ie not at the end of a solo tour)

golden dogs were good. prefer them in a small sweaty bar though. lowest of the low were not my thing..

i enjoyed plaskett. I think his show is definitley more fun when you know the albums well.. and have 3 king cans in your belly.. looking forward to seeing the sadies tonight!

ps- lowest of the low felt like a cross between the googoo dolls and a depressed great big sea. did not like.

I enjoyed it....although I was hoping for a more rocking show, my lack of energy welcomed the slowless of it. But sometimes it just seemed like they were about to take off, and then they'd end the song??? Or it would start out high energy, and then sort of dwindle out.

Hey Gentlemonkey...what was that song they played that you leaned in to tell Jordan that it was your favourite? I haven't heard that one before, and it was definitely the best song they played last night IMO.

Joel certainly has an entertaining stage presence. All I kept thinking was that this show would have been killer in a bar.

The tune I was telling Jordan I liked was 'maybe we should just go home'.. he's never heard "down at the khyber", so I wanted to make sure he paid attention.. yeah there was some definite low energy moments, and the assy weather didnt help.

The weather was 10 times assier for David Wilcox on Saturday, (pouring rain, windy and freezy) and he and his band rocked out HARD. loved it. he makes the best faces of any guitar player, ever. Unfortunatley we only caught the tail end of the 'bearcat' opener... damn-argh!

Man that Plaskett sure does get around.....he was here in St John's on Fri/Sat night.

He'd gotten so much hype that I thought I'd go see him for sure. But after listening to his latest record at the radio station, I decided against it. I think I'm in the same boat as you, Velvet and Del.

Maybe it's different live....however, I suspect what you hear on the album is pretty much what you get live. Anybody?

Hard to say Brad, I wouldn't say it sucked in any way, he just didn't grab me. There were a few tunes earlier on where I was at least 50/50 on the guy, but really the last hour just didn't interest me at all.

I guess that's it, I didn't find it interesting.

im really surprised some of you guys, who i thought would really dig it, actually didnt.

and babsy, La De Da didnt do it for ya? that's crazy talk! ;)

but this is probably the truest statement in the thread:

Joel certainly has an entertaining stage presence. All I kept thinking was that this show would have been killer in a bar

2 of my most favourite bar shows ever were plaskett shows - thrush hermit in '99, and his solo acoustic thing a couple weeks ago.