Jambands.ca

Ok, So BBQ season is here...

fluffhead77

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike's amazing concoction of water and cayenne pepper. The water deposits the cayenne throughout the open pores of the steak and then evaporates leaving a beautifully seasoned steak.

I thought it was weird at first, that my steak would be watery or too spicy, but DANG. Best steak secret ever.

Did Mike get that from The Surreal Gourmet? ISTR an episode where his dad gave out that family secret.

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest

OK OK OK...I can't believe all this nonsense about steaks...You need a rib-eye, bone-in, about an inch thick with as much marbling as possible...slather in butter, or Extra-virgin, and season with pepper, freshly ground pepper only. (take a hand full of peppercorns, toss in the blender, you want some BIG pieces.) AND THAT'S ALL!! Toss on the grill, 7 mins per side, watch for flare ups from the oil/butter, AND DON'T TOUCH!

oh and sugarmegs

Stuffed Portabello Mushrooms...Courtesy Licence to Grill...Foodtv.ca

Stuffing

* 14 oz tin artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped

* 1/2 cup cream cheese, at room temperature (125ml)

* 1/4 cup light sour cream (60ml)

* 2 tbsp lemon juice (30ml)

* 2 x crushed garlic cloves

* 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil or oregano (30ml)

* 1 tsp hot sauce (5ml)

* Salt and pepper to taste

* 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shaved (60ml)

Directions:

Stuffed Portabello Mushrooms

1. Place mushrooms stemmed side up on a baking sheet.

2. Using a spatula, place stuffing on top of mushrooms.

3. Arrange slices of tomato in spiral-like fashion on top of the mushrooms and stuffing.

4. Sprinkle on shaved parmesan cheese.

5. Grill at 250°F/120°C or medium low heat for 7 minutes or until soft.

We've been buying organic beef from local guy for a while now. His sirloins tend to be a bit tough. His solution - cover steaks with sliced kiwi fruit for a few hours. It works like a charm to tenderize, without picking up any of the flavour.

The jaybone is good, in fact we tied it on goooood last night as it was his birthday...

jay + 2.75 beer + birthday = swagger city!

and trevor is correct, he and erin have just moved to a new pad right around the corner from my place in High Park...couldn't be happier! now if we could only get some of you punks from the O-dot to come down for a visit once in a while it might be nice!!

Sounds good dinghy.

Bone-in rib-eyes are delicious.

Melt in your mouth DEEELISH! I also like to make a compound herb butter for on top after cooking...

Butter, garlic, and parsley, mix together, form a log with plastic wrap, toss in fridge to harden. Once steaks are cooked, cut off medalions of the butter and put on the steak while they are relaxing, let relax a good 5 mins before eating so you don't get blood all over your side dish, ie ceasar salad!!!

DAMN...I better get to work!

well in being that i have my CCC Red Seal(Canadian Chef Cert.) and my list of employment includes 4 of the top 10 restaurants in Toronto including the Rosewater Supper Club and 360 Restaurant, I have to say that the perfect steak from the BBQ is done as follows:

Rub your steak(i prefer a bison striploin for this) with 1/2 teaspoon of allspice and ground black pepper, rub on some soft butter and salt and GRILL, approx. 1 1/2 minutes a side turning your steak 3 times should give you the perfect med-rare effect...and only touch the steak to turn it!...the grill will let you know when. the more you touch it and press on it the more dry and stringy the meat will be. And if you want to really get crazy make a small slit in the steak and stuff a strip of bacon or pancetta inside for some smoky goodness and extra juiciness!

Oh, one last thing...this may sound a little wierd, I spent 10 bucks on my BBQ...garage sale style, got a new burner from one I found in the garbage and voila!!! The perfect BBQ!

I also have a wicked flattened chicken recipe I may share after work...BBQ'ing is so much fun, and honestly, a passion of mine!!

Suddenly the Campbell's Hearlthy Choice Chicken Noodle with Herb Soup that I'm eating right now never tasted so bad.

Have you tried making it on the BBQ? (Q: Why don't Queen's University students BBQ? A: Because Kraft Dinner falls through the grill...)

Aloha,

Brad

OK...quickly...

Flattened Chicken...

Get a whole chicken. (which are relatively cheap these days...)

Flatten it by removing the backbone, then laying it flat, season both sides with salt, pepper, Olive Oil, fresh thyme and rosemary sprigs, lemon juice, and the rind, and of course GARLIC!!! Put in the fridge for a couple of hours to marinate,

now, here's the trick.

Turn one side of the BBQ on, let it heat up. Toss the chicken on the off side skin side down. Squeeze more lemon juice on it, and add butter Turn the bbq down so you have med heat...on the side that the burner is on, get a pie plate, and pour in some white wine, add the rosemary and thyme sprigs, cook this way for about 45 minutes, making sure that the pie plate is always full of wine.

After 45 minutes flip the chicken over till it's done (about 20 minutes)!

It's really really juicy and tastes like wine! I also sometimes put the sprigs of rosemary and thyme right on the grill and they add an unbeleivable aroma too!

Edited by Guest

well in being that i have my CCC Red Seal(Canadian Chef Cert.) and my list of employment includes 4 of the top 10 restaurants in Toronto including the Rosewater Supper Club and 360 Restaurant, I have to say that the perfect steak from the BBQ is done as follows:

Rub your steak(i prefer a bison striploin for this) with 1/2 teaspoon of allspice and ground black pepper, rub on some soft butter and salt and GRILL, approx. 1 1/2 minutes a side turning your steak 3 times should give you the perfect med-rare effect...and only touch the steak to turn it!...the grill will let you know when. the more you touch it and press on it the more dry and stringy the meat will be. And if you want to really get crazy make a small slit in the steak and stuff a strip of bacon or pancetta inside for some smoky goodness and extra juiciness!

Well, I'm drooling. Dammit.

I have a friend in Toronto that's worked at Canoe, Sassafras and is now at Scaramouche, and I'm pretty sure that's the way he does his steaks too. Thanks for reminding me... Can't wait for dinnertime tomorrow now...

AD

I have a friend in Toronto that's worked at Canoe, Sassafras and is now at Scaramouche, and I'm pretty sure that's the way he does his steaks too.

AD

as to the best of my knowledge the rub w/ soft butter is something that happens in pretty much every restaurant, or the ones known for a good steak...it helps to caramalize(not burn) the sugars in the meat and leave it with that yummy off the grill taste...this trick also works in a cast iron skillet!

Edited by Guest

I think the other bonus is that alot of the butter cooks off quickly so you're not really adding alot of fat to the meat. I do love compound butters as per dinghy but they tend to be too heavily spiced for me.

I'm still a big flank and skirt steak fan..cooked rare. Maybe it's just me but I love the flavour and a little bit of chew. A bone-in ribeye sure as hell has its place though.