Jambands.ca

Harry Potter

ReDD

How many of my fellow skanks are Harry Potter geeks like myself?

I waited until Sunday to buy my copy because long lines and bratty kids isn't really my thing.

I've read almost half the book now. It's full of wonderful surprises and lives up to all expectations so far. Anyone else reading The Halfblood Prince?

You know Dr..that's exactly how I got into it. I was baby sitting my cousins quite often and they were also reading it before bed time. I was so interested in what was happening that I had to go get my own copies. I'm a nerd, I have a set I read and a set that is just for looking at. I won't spoil it for anyone, I promise!!

I went out and bought the latest book yesterday and promply plopped it down beside my ultra right-wing Catholic coworker. No joke: He glared at it, went to his office and shut the door. I think I heard the sounds of a willow branch whipping against bare skin - each flagellating whip further purifying his soul.

I went out and bought the latest book yesterday and promply plopped it down beside my ultra right-wing Catholic coworker. No joke: He glared at it, went to his office and shut the door. I think I heard the sounds of a willow branch whipping against bare skin - each flagellating whip further purifying his soul.

What I wouldn't give for the time to get going on that thread! It's usually been the evangelicals who get their knickers in a knot over HP; like TomFoolery, I haven't heard of many Catholics doing so.

I went out and bought the latest book yesterday and promply plopped it down beside my ultra right-wing Catholic coworker. No joke: He glared at it' date=' went to his office and shut the door. I think I heard the sounds of a willow branch whipping against bare skin - each flagellating whip further purifying his soul.[/quote']

What I wouldn't give for the time to get going on that thread! It's usually been the evangelicals who get their knickers in a knot over HP; like TomFoolery, I haven't heard of many Catholics doing so.

Here's a letter Pope Benedict wrote two years ago to a German critic that wrote a book critical of Harry Potter:

Esteemed and dear Ms. Kuby!

Many thanks for your kind letter of February 20th and the informative book which you sent me in the same mail. It is good, that you enlighten people about Harry Potter, because those are subtle seductions, which act unnoticed and by this deeply distort Christianity in the soul, before it can grow properly.

I would like to suggest that you write to Mr. Peter Fleetwood, (Pontifical Council of Culture, Piazza S. Calisto 16, I00153 Rome) directly and to send him your book.

Sincere Greetings and Blessings,

+ Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger

"It is good, that you enlighten people about Harry Potter, because those are subtle seductions, which act unnoticed and by this deeply distort Christianity in the soul, before it can grow properly."

Interesting. I hadn't heard about this. Any idea what the subtle seductions are he's writing about?

i don't care how overhyped HP is, it is a great series of literary value. It's nice to see so many people, even adults reading it passionately. I also think it's cool that I will be able to say "i read that when it first came out" to little kids in fifty years when they're reading it in school and they'll look at me like i'm a senile old bat that must be nearly a thousand years old!

SO last night I stayed up until 4 in the morning reading Harry Potter. Slept 3 hours, worked, read more then fell asleep for 5 hours. Your messing up my sleeping patterns HARRY!!

Why do these books have to be so damn good!!

Finally purchased!

Our eldest, Cassia, will wake up with it beside her and really be beside herself!!!

she's only been asking for it for a month!

In fact, I have to thank you ReDD, for reminding us it was actually OUT and available. We'd been subjected to so much hype for so long, we kinda phased it out. Given Cassia's age, this is the first in the series we've had to buy hardcover (when she got interested, we had 5 to catch up on and they were already in paperback)

anyway, for those still looking to buy it new, we found the cheapest place to be Book City ($32.95) as opposed to $41+ at Indigotchabytheballs. Hey I just made that up!!! YAY for booze! (again - is there anything beer can't do (Homer?) --What is that line, exactly Timouse -- allknowing source of Simpson trivia.)