Jambands.ca

Codetalkers

Super Freak

I'm assuming no one taped the Codetalkers show... Did anyone see any mics?

I did see someone taping the show, though I don't know who it was that was doing it.

By far the best show I have ever witnessed at the PJC and it was one of the best club shows I have ever witnessed ever.

I'll later write a review of the gig when I have the time.

Tim

Yeah, I taped it. There was a guy from Buffalo there as well. Fantastic show to say the least. The vocals were quite faint in the mix, but otherwise it should sound pretty nice. A definite highlight of the summer. Kudos to the boys at Pepperjacks for lining up the show.

I must say thank you to everyone who came and supported us on this show. Also thanks for bringing so many good vibes and attitude, the band was seriously impressed at what a good scene it is up here. They really really like us.

I'm assuming no one taped the Codetalkers show... Did anyone see any mics?

I did see someone taping the show' date=' though I don't know who it was that was doing it.

By far the best show I have ever witnessed at the PJC and it was one of the best club shows I have ever witnessed ever.

I'll later write a review of the gig when I have the time.

Tim[/quote']

let's get this in the reviews forum. Who has the photos?

I'd like to say in my very first posting, that it was an honour to spend the day with The Codetalkers, now I realise how lucky I was. Jimmy Herring was one of the most gracious cats I ever met, and to stand and talk with him one-on-one and then mix his guitar all night, was an evening I will never forget. For those of you who were'nt around much later as the band was leaving, a humorous incident when their bus generator went dead and I boosted it with my Cavalier, to which Bobby kept saying, "yer awsome Dugee, yer the shit dude". Then he gave me 10 bucks for my gas...and a shirt. I like my job, and it was an honour to work with them. True class. See yal Labour Day at CTMF, I'll be at the board.

HEYYYYY DUUUGEEEEEEE!!!!! glad to see ya on the board brother!!

fuckin lucky guy i had topay for my shirt! man i miss getting the freebies working there, ah well

what an amazing night of music. good vibes everywhere, everyone was happy and smilin.

very good times

great mix by the man himself DES

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook

first - thank you thank you thank you ken. I had a wiiiiiiiiiicked time at the show.

second - i love when people find my computer at after parties. don't think i don't know who it was...

third - cully really IS gay.

that is all for now....i'm still sketched out and my house needs to be cleaned...there are beer bottles everywhere. and did people hide the caps on purpose? i keep finding them in the weirdest places.

That was a stellar show - and wow, to witness that in a small intimate place like Pepper Jacks is a dream-come-true. Very special and memorable! Thanks especially to kc and briguy, and to anyone else who helped make it happen. And to have all my favourite people in the same place at once too just makes it all the better. Wish we could've made it to your place afterwards Alexis - thanks for the invite - but we got hopelessly lost and the highway showed up first - next time sweetie (I hope)!

As a footnote, afterward I saw the Col. exit the bus and head for the club, so I followed him to get him to sign some ARU and Fiji Mariners discs, and perhaps I put him on the spot, but I asked if he could guess my birthday, knowing that he apparently has an uncanny knack for this, and he did guess correctly Sagittarius, but 3 days shy of my birthday - not bad for just meeting me. Another interesting tidbit was that Jimmy mentioned that Tyler Greenwell, the drummer, was also the bus driver. Wow, that's a pretty hefty double-duty.

Anyway, thanks again everyone for making it live up to its "not-to-be-missed" show status!

I'd like to say in my very first posting, that it was an honour to spend the day with The Codetalkers, now I realise how lucky I was. Jimmy Herring was one of the most gracious cats I ever met, and to stand and talk with him one-on-one and then mix his guitar all night, was an evening I will never forget. For those of you who were'nt around much later as the band was leaving, a humorous incident when their bus generator went dead and I boosted it with my Cavalier, to which Bobby kept saying, "yer awsome Dugee, yer the shit dude". Then he gave me 10 bucks for my gas...and a shirt. I like my job, and it was an honour to work with them. True class. See yal Labour Day at CTMF, I'll be at the board.

That was probably, pretty much a gizm feeling eh?

I think that if I had been able to be there, and got to talk to jimmy, listen to, and watch him play at PEPPER FUCKING JACK's, I would have need a condom on.

You guys are so fortunate to have people in Hamilton bringing you shows like this and keeping up great venues like the PJ.

WOW ... I know that many others have already posted this, but WOW ... this show was incredible. It definitely makes my short list of favourite shows ever.

I remember when Jimmy Herring toured with The Dead (or The Other Ones) ... a few people commented on message boards that they wished that the band would "let Jimmy Herring play some guitar." Now I know why people made those comments ... the man can play! No wonder bands like The Dead and ABB ask him to play with them. And his guitar amp was 15 feet from my head! Oh my goodness! Plus he's such a nice guy, as are all of the guys in this band from what I can tell.

OK, Jimmy Herring can play guitar. People know that. But when you add another guitar player of his caliber to the mix, things get out of control! Bobby Lee Rodgers can play guitar! I remember at one point watching Jimmy smiling and shaking his head as Rodgers laid down one of many tasty guitar solos. Plus Rodgers writes most of the band's songs. I had a nice chat with him after the show ... what a genuinely nice guy! And he had nothing but kind things to say about Canada and the show/people at Pepper Jack's.

It's nice when musicians look at each other and into the audience, smile, and feel comfortable and natural on stage. I loved how much of this happened with the Codetalkers. They seemed so comfortable and happy, playing music from the heart. The music felt so organic and natural.

One of the funniest moments of the night for me was when Col. Bruce Hampton started playing his guitar behind his head, and then the bass player (sorry I forget his name but I thought I heard him introduced as "Cheif such and such") mimicked Col. Bruce and started playing is stand up acoustic bass behind his head. Add a little humour to make people smile while dancing to some of the sweetest sounds imaginable.

Thank you to everybody that helped to make this show happen ... it was fantastic!

Peace, Mark