Jambands.ca

Advice on buying a ring?

Chewie

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently bought a new setting for an antique diamond engagement ring. Guys know shit about rings in general, but go to an independant jewlery store and ask questions. Actually, the people at Charms ( a Canadian chain dealing in Canadian stones, are knowledgeable and friendly - plus their employees are old - having salespeople in their late teens ain't a great selling point for me ).

I like antique rings because older stones are often of a higher clarity and quality - from what I've been told and read.

[color:red]but where's the best deal? things to look out for, pitfalls, sales bullshit...essentially the truth.

anyone work in a jewellry store? can i haggle

no bull shit at any jewellery store they spray them with all this guuk to keep then looking nice and shiny and the lights add to it, also

they never stay as nice and shiny after you buy them, if you wear them all the time

i would strongly suggest the shopping channell

honest to god their products are what you see and a month to return it

jewellery stores are far more expensive, you want quality not for show, good luck

There is a HUGE mark-up on jewelry... If you pay the retail price, you're a fool!!! Best advice: Educate yourself a little bit about clarity/quality. Most GOOD jewlers should be willing to give you a tutorial and show you examples...

Oh yeah, and if you can, try to avoid 'blood' or 'conflict' diamonds... This can be done by tracing origins through documentation/certification...

And PLEASE, don't by a DeBeers Diamond!!!

Steve

Right on... At least you know no one's hand got cut off if you buy a Canadian one...

A pamphlet won't really cut it though. I would go several places, first gathering information. Let them know that you DO intend to buy a ring, but FIRST you want to feel somewhat educated about it. Those that pressure you to buy, don't go back. That would be my best advice...

Steve

please tell me you're not actually planning on buying a ring without your gal's input?

Do guys still do that kinda thing?

[RANT] how can boys imagine dropping $2500--$5000 on stone wihtout having their girlfriend's input? I don't think it means romance is dead if 2 people shop together for a ring and said boy doesn't get to present her with said stone unexpectedly. Honestly, I don't think anyone has ever been able to buy me a piece of jewellry I liked...it's a very personal thing [/RANT]

anyway....I do have a friend who works in a jewellry store and part of the above rant has rubbed off from her. She has too many stories to recount of mopey boys coming back into her jewllry store to return a ring b/c a girl said "no". Now the 'catch' here is that once a diamond leaves the stores, it IMMEDIATELY depreciates by 1/3 to 1/2 its retail price. This is also why you see so many classified ads for diamnonds rings BRAND NEW! NEVER WORN!!

hmmm, what to glean from my rant?

take your girl with you and be sure she's happy with the choice & purchase.

My piece of advise? Bigger is better! ;)

There's some stores on Yonge Street, The Jewellry Exchange and a couple others on the same side of the street with a few blocks. They have a whole bunch of different vendors within them so they have to compete for your business. The prices are all negotiable. If you don't like the price, walk to the next booth.

Good luck and please, please, please... talk to Bouche would ya? ;)

Don't forget, an engagement ring needn't be a diamond (a buddy of mine bought his fiancee an engagement ring with one big emerald; if she likes cool colours, purple, say, something like a big amythyst surrounded by much smaller diamonds can also be nice), and needn't be new, either: an heirloom can work, or you can check estate sales and the like. If you want to shop with your fiancee, it works even better, because you can get her something she wants.

Aloha,

Brad

Definitely take your gal with you as she has to be happy with the stone and style.

She may be wearing it the rest of her life.

There are some very nice rings out there and they don't have to be super expensive.

Do go to as many stores as you can though and ask lots of questions.

Take your time and make it a very special occasion.

I also agree with Jamoie about Charm jewelers.

I bought a lot of jewelery from there and they stand behind their rings one hundred percent.

Good luck with the big purchase!