Jambands.ca

Addison Groove Project better than the Slip?

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

I think so.

I've listened to both Gecko by the Slip and Wicked Live 2 by AGP on iD1g1t, and there is no doubt in my mind that AGP are much better than the Slip. Gecko has some nice melodies and stuff, but I still don't understand what all the fuss is about... they are boring!

AGP have great energy, a fuller sound, and overall just have more interesting songs. I can listen to AGP all day.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

careful, although i agree, i dare not say it in these slip infested waters....

but they are apples to oranges....the slip is something that'll put me to sleep after a wild day on the water....

AGP is something i'll be blaring all the way home, dancing and shouting in my car seat.

Edited by Guest

Guest Low Roller

I've never supressed my distaste for the Slip. However I keep trying to "get them" because I figure if all my music-loving friends think they are great, then I must be missing something.

No matter how many times I try, they always succeed in failing to impress me.

Everyone's taste is different but you're comparing a studio album from 1997 to a live disc from 2002. Not really a fair fight if you ask me.

Compare that live disc with a Slip show from 2003 that's found on BT. Or give me your UK address and I'll send you one.

If you still don't like them (or like them less) it's not for lack of trying! :)

my point at well gecko is so old. Try alivelectric for a more up to date sound.

I have seen and herd them both countless times and while i like them both I think that The Slip are like sculptors of sound where every little, even what might seem insignificant sound builds up into a chores to express countless emotions while AGP rock out but never really go any where. (just my thoughts)

Guest Low Roller

Sorry, I picked what was available to me on iD1g1t combined with my previous listens of the Slip to make the inflammatory comments. My timing could perhaps be dubious especially since everyone around here is still in a post-Slip haze.

I don't doubt that the Slip know their instruments inside out, and they have more soul than James Brown or whatever it is you want me to admit to. But the fact remains that their songs don't interest me. What am I doing wrong?

If nothing else, you get mad props for the ballsy dissention.

Or, mad chops......to the neck. SCORPION!!

I'm with gentlemonkey on this, and think that the Slip is the "headiest" band on the planet, as in, if you get down to it, you can dissect their music a thousand times and still find something new and brilliant.

bennyd, how the fuck are ya!!

I wouldn't call Big Mac "food", nor do I think that the comparison between AGP and the Slip is that far fetched despite their differing sounds.

3 piece jazz/indie band vs. 6 piece funk band? How do you not see that as being a far fetched comparison?

Guest Low Roller
3 piece jazz/indie band vs. 6 piece funk band? How do you not see that as being a far fetched comparison?

Pure semantics.

I don't care if one of the bands had a guy farting into a mic wired into a distortion petal and the other one squeezed cats like accordians. Bottom line is that when it comes to choosing which band to listen to, I will choose AGP over the Slip.

Guest Low Roller
One is a funk band and the other a pop/jazz band. How do they compare again?

See answer above. You're clearly reading the whole thread before putting your two cents in.

If either of you guys think you can describe the Slip with only two genres of music, you're both wrong. They can do whatever they want masterfully.

I agree Punk. I was throwing out a couple of their styles for comparison. Their music is not easily labelled...