Jambands.ca

Toronto woman campaigns against 50 Cent biopic

Deeps

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find her voice to be necessary in a time of massive waves of sentiment in the opposite direction of hers...read: people shooting eachother up and kicking it bitch and ho styles in the name of so-called-music which is more than likely a vehicle for the artist to show how much bling they've got and therefore lack of moral fibre).

It seems that just because something gets put on TV all day it ceases to be offensive. I don't think she should win, but I think incinuating that she's more dangerous then these low life record producers who haven't got behind a good vibe in years is far fetched at best.

Deeps

I find her voice to be necessary in a time of massive waves of sentiment in the opposite direction of hers...read: people shooting eachother up and kicking it bitch and ho styles in the name of so-called-music which is more than likely a vehicle for the artist to show how much bling they've got and therefore lack of moral fibre).

It seems that just because something gets put on TV all day it ceases to be offensive. I don't think she should win, but I think incinuating that she's more dangerous then these low life record producers who haven't got behind a good vibe in years is far fetched at best.

Deeps

Rebuttle?

Edited by Guest

I'm going to side with Deeps and the (apparent) minority here. Yes, people who are activists for a living can sometimes be dangerous and/or unbalanced, but sometimes not; sometimes their personality breeds the activism (i.e. their wish to be opposed to everything they see as popular, out of bitterness or whatever), but sometimes vice-versa.

This isn't a music issue, nor a free speech issue. 50 Cent promotes a lifestyle of violence and vehement degradation of women. He wasn't the pioneer, but he is certainly one of the greatest contemporary purveyors. This bullshit is awash in popular rap music, and hence has become contemporary hip-hop culture. I'm not talking about a conspiracy theory here; it's more a matter of each new artist, record, or song pushing the boundaries a little further and everybody else looking at each other and saying, "Well, I guess that's the new standard." I can't agree with an argument that, for example, insists that violent video games promote youth violence, but a live-action movie featuring a real-life teen idol engaged in all kinds of violent activity cannot be of benefit to us in any way.

This woman won't win because she has no concrete grounds, but the fact that she's out there talking about it is good, IMHO.

Ah, but she's not protesting to have the movie banned, it's just that she doesn't want it to get a tax credit (which, in essence, means that the public will, in part, be funding it) for having been filmed in Toronto:

Valerie Smith, operator of the Free Radical website that fights media violence, has asked Minister of Community Safety Monte Kwinter to ensure that the film did not get a tax credit for shooting in Toronto in June.

Aloha,

Brad

Should she succeed at manipulating the distribution of tax dollars for the arts and the point-of-sale distribution of music with lyrics that she finds offensive, then yes, I think her campaign is of greater detriment to society than the very things she finds offensive.

Art is art, regardless if you find it degenerate or not. I don’t listen to gangsta-rap, and I certainly don’t share (most of) the values I hear within it, but neither do I deign to call it a “so-called music†form.

Shall we ban the sale of Frank Sinatra CD’s also?

From what I understand, 50-Cent really was raised by a single mother who was shot and killed in a drug deal when he was a boy, was raised by his grandparents, became a crack dealer and was shot nine times before the release of his debut CD. Is he supposed to rap about butterflies and vanilla? Is his movie supposed to be full of huggy bears doing the Charleston in front of a candy shop?

sorry to paraphrase: if the Canada Council is gonna spend money on Voice of Fire and Meat Dress, we should give Hollywood movies that shoot in our country equal benefits, credits etc...

My argument is fractured and makes no sense. But I support my own free speech. And I'd like a tax credit too please.

AD

no.

what bothers me is, that by her lobbying against a possible tax credit, should she be successful, it will deter future producers from considering the Canadian film industry as a viable alternative.

one bad apple ruins it for the bushel.

i guess people like her need to really sit down and think about what they are doing and if it really can affect the change they hope to bring about. personally, valerie smith sunk her teeth into the wrong fruit.