Jambands.ca

Walk The Line

AD

Oh yeah - Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon did all the singing for their parts. Very VERY impressive for a couple of film actors, she sounded exactly like June in places.

Check it out on the soundtrack, if you wish. Although you'd be better off just listening to JC himself.

AD

I found this info:

The movie implies, at least indirectly, that Cash went clean after marrying Carter. Not true; he struggled much of the rest of his life with addiction and its after-effects.

I don't see how it could imply that; Spoiler Alert!

the movie ends after Johnny proposes to June, it shows nothing of their lives after marriage.

AD

Fine, it's only one eye, but whatcha gonna do?

The movie was really well done, maybe a tad slow at points but the acting was great and the singing was for the most part right on point. I was impressed, Cash has a hard voice to replicate. They broke the mold when they made that one.

And I have no opinion on the overanalyzation of the ending. Except that it's Hollywood so, obviously, they lived happily ever after. I mean, what else would they do after an ending like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave and I have just come back from our day of playing "hookey", which involved a matinee of "Walk the Line" (among other less plesant tasks, like Xmas shopping, but nestled within the happiness of an Indian Buffet dinner)

anyway.......Wow!

I am soooooo impressed with the casting, not to mention the talent of Phoenix and Witherspoon!!! Gawd, Witherspoon is gorgeous and so wonderful to watch. (yummy!)

I do love the way the film focuses on JC's nearly insatiable (nearly unrequited) desire for 'his woman', and this as the implied reason for his addictions. {as an aside, I usually scorn upon the term 'soul mates', but Cash and Carter seem to fit this bill.}

Cash's first wife may be overly-vilified in the film, I really don't know...but the film doesn't give much insight (let alone responsibilty) into Cash's own part into the dissolution of the marriage.

What was really fun/interesting for me was hearing tunes I recognized hearing as a young kid (my parents are dyed in the wool Johnny Cash fans) and seeing what was going on in Cash's and Carter's lives at that time. Sort of an "aha" moment of understanding that the creation of art (or as Bobby says, "value-added information" --lol!) doesn't happen in a vacuum, and that the term "tortured artist" as been coined for a very good reason!

GO SEE AND ENJOY THIS FILM!!!

I'd only give this movie 2.5 stars out of 5. And I really like Johnny Cash...

First of all where was all the music? I think any movie about Cash, should have had more songs! Then there was the casting... Reese as June, fine... But Pheonix as Cash? Nope not buying it at all :(

And like others have said, it was just a re-skinning of "Ray". True to the Hollywood Formula....

I did learn a few things, and it kept me entertained well enough, so it earned it's 2.5 stars... But overall I thought it was a bit weak.