Jambands.ca

Wind Energy in Ontario

questcequecest?

and in more good news, Maple Leaf foods will be opening Canada's first biodiesel processing plant in Montreal in the next year, helping ot make our highways smell like french fries and popcorn while saving the planet!

Has Maple Leaf finally found something to do with all the rotten animal bits other than contaminating the ground water.

and in more good news' date=' Maple Leaf foods will be opening Canada's first biodiesel processing plant in Montreal in the next year, helping ot make our highways smell like french fries and popcorn while saving the planet![/quote']

Has Maple Leaf finally found something to do with all the rotten animal bits other than contaminating the ground water.

Possibly the best thing you've ever said.

Mind you I'm all for waste reduction (or re-deployment as it were) even for those fackers at maple Leaf. Who should be shot. For selling pre-marinated pot roasts.

the new technologies are taking care of those risks. Recent turbine developments are allowing the blades to turn more and more slowly to the point where they're hardly a risk to most birds. I'm sure if the money is there for R&D (ie. gov't are buying into wind) then it will continue to improve.

well you equate how many bird deaths (very few) to power generated (alot) and it doesnt take a mathmetician to figure out that wind powers the way to go

holland has a ton of their towers set up in the water, perhaps theres less birds out that way?

i think if they stuck a wind farm in lake superior we would be styling, it gets windy as fuck out there.

i remember reading an article recently about some toronto group protesting more wind towers because the seagulls were dying, is that what toronto wants? more flying rats? i can personally take some stupid gulls from hamilton and transfer them to toronto if it does become an issue.

nevermind I found this....

http://web.syr.edu/~bpburtt/Birds/Aug08-04.htm

no need to read it all:

For example, birds die when they collide with a building, a house or its windows. About 4 die each year per building. I know that in a year, about 20 birds hit my big picture window as they mistake the reflection for part of the scenery. Most are able to fly away, but 4 or 5 die. Thus my house is about average.

Counting all the buildings and houses in the United States, about 400 million birds are killed each year by hitting buildings and windows. Buildings kill more birds than other structures.

Collisions with powerlines cause about 85 million deaths. This is about 175 per mile of wire.

Cars, trucks and buses kill about 70 million birds per year. That is a lot of birds, but taking into account the number of cars, on the average, it means that my car kills a bird every other year.

The TV and radio towers cause the death of about 20 million birds per year. Each tower kills about 300 per year. This happens most often when birds are migrating at night and bad weather and clouds force the birds to fly nearer the earth. A TV or radio tower mounted on a high point is thus a serious hazard and the guy wires take their toll. Steadily burning lights on the towers seem to attract the birds as well.

Wind turbines kill about 2 to 4 birds per tower per year depending on where the tower is placed and how it is constructed. About 45,000 birds are killed each year at turbines about the country. This knowledge comes from careful carcass counts at existing wind plants.

Edited by Guest

and then on the flip side- not to put on a damper on the positive thread- since this is a very positive move regardless- I did come across this article today.

short piece on Nuclear Power talk coming up @ Mcmaster U

not my personal fav choice in energy production but it seems more are interested in it again.

I'm pretty sure that unlike the article and a recent TV commercial series seem to want us to believe, this issue is far from clean. Especially with regard to the waste disposal concern.

Any thoughts?

A company (WindPower Gen) wanted to build a test site on the shores of Georgian Bay just north of Parry Sound, but were denied because the people who have cottages (who spend a few weeks per year at them) cried about the birds and noise pollution (what fucking noise pollution). It's funny how the rich people in southern Ontario dictate what's right for the rest of us.

and then on the flip side- not to put on a damper on the positive thread- since this is a very positive move regardless- I did come across this article today.

short piece on Nuclear Power talk coming up @ Mcmaster U

not my personal fav choice in energy production but it seems more are interested in it again.

I'm pretty sure that unlike the article and a recent TV commercial series seem to want us to believe, this issue is far from clean. Especially with regard to the waste disposal concern.

Any thoughts?

listen to Helen Caldicott.

she is the most compelling anti-nuclear activist i have ever heard. 2 points that stuck with me...considering the energy cost to mine, transport and refine uranium, a reactor has to run for something like 18 years to become "carbon-neutral," that is to not be contributing greenhouse gas to the environment. the 2nd was the evils of depleted uranium weaponry used all over the planet by the United Snakes.