Jambands.ca

friggin' static!

Birdy

i was just walking over to my dvd player to put in a movie and got the hugest zap ever of static electricity. now every single DVD that i put in it says "cannot read".

:(

is this possible? can static electricity toast my dvd player?

i'm pissed.

two months ago i was moving my tv around and snapped the little coaxial cable hook up thing off the back. no more cable either. which i didn't entirely mind. but i love my movies. love love love my movies.

yup hair got huge. it's pretty straight to begin with and normally stands on end in dry weather. i was in arizona last week and they hadn't had rain in over 95 days or something like that. you should have seen it then. (i wish there was some kind of sizzling emoticon or something)

i tried plugging out and plugging back in and got the same thing. frickin' cheap stupid dvd player. i only bought it for the karaoke option :)

i remember a while ago i was working an auction in toronto in april.. two aprils ago. it was freeeeeeeeezing outside and extremely dry, our entire network got zapped. everything went down.

oh well.. i'm off to canadian tire.

Edited by Guest

It's certainly possible. If you've 'rebooted it' like Dr. Evil suggested, and tried numerous discs and even tried those disc on someone else's dvd player and your DVD player won't work, I'll put money on 'toasted'.

Hopefully it's not a super dvd player. Most are pretty cheap these days, but you can spend alot on them to get upconversion etc...

I've been getting about 5 of that calibre of shock a day all winter, and all from my cd player or amp. It's rediculous. My apartment is so fucking dry I'm literally walking around cringing in fear at the charge I'm going to get as soon as I touch metal, wich invariably ends up being as soon as I change a cd or touch the volume knob on my stereo. Luckily have yet to fry anything.

haha! so i hear. cheap bastard.

he had a box-o-wine at christmas dinner.

as for the dvd player. i picked up a new one last night at canadian tire and didn't even opt for the cheap version.. well it wasn't overly expensive.. a nice toshiba.. hopefully it won't fry too soon. i bought a cheap humidifier too. hopefully that will help. at least it might do wonders for my skin.

I used to fear closing my car door because I always got shocked getting out for some reason. I felt like a lab rat that was being trained not to close the door.

If you're getting shocked on all of your electronics, would that mean that your apt. isn't properly grounded?

you know what, if you have really static-y hair (like when you pull a wool sweater over your head), if you take a dryer sheet and smooth your hair down with it, the static is totally gone.

i wonder if you could avoid being shocked if you used dryer sheets to touch all the potentially shock-givin' gadgets ..... heh, with a few stitches, you could make fabric softener mittens/gloves! heeheehee

When I was a youngster, 12 or so, havinga sleepover at a buddy's, we were upp super late doign this fun thing with electricity. We had this cheap sweatshirt... non cotton. One of those ones with that stupid duck on it with a stupid saying or something that was so popular back in the day... anyways, in the dark we'd pull the aweatshirt on and off and see the sparks all over the shirt and in our hair. What a fucking riot!! Give it a try... then maybe you all would appreciate static a little more.

ALso, I guess if you get a dust bunny and spray it with hairspray and and take it out onto the sidewalk and run it over with a skateboard it will make a small explosion! WIcked!

Okay, I';ll stop posting now

this might be completely unrelated (and might not, i don't know the exact science behind it), but if you stand in pitch black darkness and chew Wint-O-Green Lifesavers fastly & furiously with your mouth open, really crunching down on them, green sparks shoot out of your mouth.

I AM NOT JOKING. i have tried this before. many times.

Wint%20O%20Green%20Lifesavers.jpg