Jambands.ca

Umphrey's McGee Podcasts

scottieking

[blurb]

100661200_d396201c68_m.jpg

Anybody else addicted to these yet? They come out twice a month and are released from various shows SBD. Number 18 was my first and both of these have been ridiculously good. Great for fans and newbies alike.[/blurb]

Podcast #18 (01.28.06) - October 2005 part 1

128kbps MP3 (70.9 MB) (right click to download)

00:00 - Get in the Van (10.02.05 - Barrymore Theater, Madison, Wisconsin)

07:42 - Believe the Lie

17:18 - Prowler >

22:51 - Uncommon (10.12.05 - Blue Cats, Knoxville, Tennessee)

30:52 - In the Kitchen (10.26.05 - Orpheum Theater, Flagstaff, Arizona)

43:09 - Smell the Mitten (10.02.05 - Barrymore Theater, Madison, Wisconsin)

49:56 - Padgett's Profile* >

66:34 - Thin Air (10.26.05 - Orpheum Theater, Flagstaff, Arizona)

Total Broadcast Length 77:30

Notes:

* with Miss Tinkle's Overture teases

Believe the Lie, here with an extended ambient intro, is the opening track for the new album Safety In Numbers, due out April 4th. After an always rousing Prowler comes an Uncommon with a unique (uncommon, if you will) extended improvisational take. Smell the Mitten is another in the arsenal of Spinal Tap references across the Umphrey's McGee catalog. To close is another improvisation laden Padgett's Profile that sees the band traversing several moods before dissolving into Thin Air.

Podcast #19 (02.10.06) - October 2005 part 2

128kbps MP3 (74.2 MB) (right click to download)

00:00 - Sociable Jimmy >

07:42 - Jazz Odyssey >

14:43 - Partyin' Peeps (10.25.05 - Marquee Theatre, Tempe, Arizona)

21:21 - Divisions >

35:09 - Sweetness* >

43:25 - Divisions (10.01.05 - Barrymore Theater, Madison, Wisconsin)

48:47 - Making Flippy Floppy >

54:13 - "Jimmy Stewart"^ >

71:26 - Mulche's Odyssey (10.12.05 - Blue Cats, Knoxville, Tennessee)

Total Broadcast Length 81:03

Notes:

* with Bridgeless jam

^ with Nachos for Two teases; with lyrics

The mixed-meter Sociable Jimmy slides into a soaring Jazz Odyssey, before slipping into the unique slow Partyin' Peeps intro. The rare Sweetness inside of Divisions was a treat, while the Bridgeless jam that followed teased the fans (the band delivered said song the following evening). The Talking Heads' Making Flippy Floppy is a springboard for extended improvisation including a tease of the no-longer-played Nachos for Two.

Here's a cool Poscast story, just happened.

I read about UM but couldn't find the podcast. Well i found the Bob Dylan documentary, started listening and heard Its Alright so i decided to sit down and learn the fingerpicking. Now i know a new song :)

Love it, man what a gorgeous song.

~fin

Umphrey's McGee Safety In Numbers - In Stores April 4, 2006

Umphrey's McGee is proud to announce the release of their third studio album, Safety In Numbers - in stores nationwide on SCI Fidelity Records, April 4, 2006! Produced by UM and their long-time engineer Kevin Browning, and recorded in the band's hometown of Chicago, Illinois, Safety In Numbers features eleven amazing tracks, including many never-before-heard songs. With special guest musicians Huey Lewis and Joshua Redman, and cover art from renowned album designer Storm Thorgerson (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, etc.), Safety In Numbers represents the next step in the growth of Umphrey's McGee.

Stay tuned for more information about Safety In Numbers as the release date approaches.