Jambands.ca

Kirby Puckett dead at 44.

Boochawan

Nice to know you without knowing you. Kirb, you were what ball players should be and obviously loved the game more than most. I wish more would have learned from you even though you could never have taught them the most important lesson.

I wont ever forget 'that' catch against the wall you made in (game 6?) to steal a sure triple and then hitting a walk-off homer in extra innings.

Who does that?

Probably the greatest World Series I will ever see in my life buddy and I thank you for that. I am sure Jack Morris feels the same way, times infinity.

kirby-hero.jpg

I was in Kissimeee Florida in the late 1980's. I went to watch a Spring Training game between Minnesota and Los Angeles. For some odd reason part of the parking lot was located beyond the outfield fence. Kirby hit three homeruns in that game, each one followed by the sound of shattering glass of a windshield beyond the fence. It was awesome.

RIP Kirby, you were awesome.

I was in Kissimeee Florida in the late 1980's. I went to watch a Spring Training game between Minnesota and Los Angeles. For some odd reason part of the parking lot was located beyond the outfield fence. Kirby hit three homeruns in that game, each one followed by the sound of shattering glass of a windshield beyond the fence. It was awesome.

RIP Kirby, you were awesome.

Thats a cool fuckin story.

I liked Kirby. He was Twins baseball. I wish he would have looked after himself in his retirement years. Here's Rome's take for any that care:

3-7-2006

The baseball world and certainly the Minnesota Twins family are mourning the loss of Kirby Puckett who died yesterday. Puckett clearly was one of a kind, a 5 foot 8 dynamo, who led the Twins to a couple of world championships. The guy’s enthusiasm was unparalleled. He was unbelievably clutch with the stick and a gold glover with the leather, until the game was ripped from him suddenly after he was diagnosed with glaucoma.

We all marveled at the class and dignity he displayed in accepting his fate. Come to find out, it may have been much tougher on him than it appeared. It was at that time things started to come off the tracks for Kirby. His problems are well documented. He had an ugly divorce will allegations of impropriety and domestic violence. Like many other great athletes, he was flawed, perhaps more so than others. Looking back, I’ll remember him as a great ballplayer and leader, but also has someone who had a great many issues and whose life ended too soon.