Jambands.ca

Angels Come on Time - Thoughts?

AD

I just got this CD (for free, hehe) and I'm wondering what the general consensus is. I have a few live shows, From the Gecko, Does, Aliveacoustic and Electric, wondering where y'all think this measures up.

I think I know Lowroller's answer.

Hmm?

AD

i have a hard time listening to angels come on time, mostly because of how much i love those songs live - i just dont think they come off that well on the album.. almost like they tried too hard to make them sound really good, as opposed to the magic that happens to them when they're in the raw, emotional moment.

and some of the production makes me make a face like this :crazy: .

I enjoy parts of the CD more than others, particularly the Get Me With Fugi

like Guigs though, I'm all about the Live

that said, its a great way to introduce the general listener friend to the band... usually leads up to getting to see the look on their faces when they catch their first live show

It's a little meh and that's coming from me (some would say I'd go gay for the Slip). Those songs all meant a great deal to me at the time but only Sometimes True To Nothing still sticks out, funny to see how Tinderbox is just never played and will never be played again (they grow out of shit quickly)- I really liked it at the time. Fuji's never done much for me at least past the first couple times live, just would rather hear any number of things than that. Sorry, Jumby and Nellie are about all I'd want to hear live from that album but I don't blow my nose at STTN for a minute. Beetle and Nellie were sort of plucked from the live repertoire for that album so they seem sort of out of place. The whole album is a bit of a mish mash- some actually embarassing moments.

yeah the vocoder (a la Cher) is a little silly at the end of "Beetle to the Band lands"

I think "Love and Tears" is a great version and I also really like "Jumby" a great jazzy worldbeat exploration. "6-sided " shows the more delicate Slip, which over time is becoming one of my favortie sides of them... (i.e. Sleppy Head / Before you were born)

I think the Slip are capable of something even better... Even Rats is such a good song, I'm so excited about hearing what else they've got... I think a studio version of "If one of us should Fall" will definitely be on there.