Jambands.ca

HMV

kookycanooky

a year ago I got a $30 hmv gift card for my birthday. its been in my wallet all year and today i finally found myself near the store so i went in. I walked out with nothing.

I need some suggestions people. There is no music I want to buy, (thank you oink), but my main interest lies in music DVD's. One problem, that store (maybe all?) doesnt' have a dedicated music dvd section. They stick the random dvd's in the CD section, this makes browsing a pain in the ass.

Being in that store made me really angry because about half of their merchandise is TV DVD's. In this world of dwindling oil, why the fuck are we wasting it to produce DVD's of TV shows that have long since been cancelled? Yes I agree there is a nostalgic feeling of seeing these things, (like peewee's playhouse) but it runs thin very fast. How many times will you watch 4 disc seasons of Alf, or 3's company? Anyway..end rant.

Has anyone had a chance to see "Blind Melon - Live at the Metro, September 27, 1995"? Is it any good? I specifically avoid those Music DVD's that look all good, but then you buy them only to find out its a lame documentary with little full song coverage...just critics yapping on about nothing.

Any suggestions for kick ass music dvd's? Previous purchases that have done well are Song remains the same, and Last waltz.

I would recommend "Miles Electric: A different Kind of Blue"

although it does have lots of commentary (mainly from people that played with Miles over the years) it does contain the 38 minute Island of Wight concert that is absolutely mind blowing. If you enjoy jazz or Miles at all, this is a great DVD.

I didn't like how they moved the music DVD's either, and it was definately because of the TV releases. I'm actually a big fan of the fact that I can go out and get me a Magnum PI season and watch it at my leisure.

As for a music DVD, I'd recommend the Sisters Euclid one, but you won't find it there. The Umphrey's NYE DVD kicks some ass and you can't go wrong with those Dual discs (CD and a DVD). Flaming Lips, Talking Heads...and the new Bruce Springstein one seems like a great buy.

And of course...IT as mentioned above. If you don't own the Last Waltz, you really should. Oh and the Team America movie!!!

I was in HMV in Newmarket today and I picked up the following:

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium

Yonder Mountain String Band - (Self Titled)

Tipton, Entwistle & Powell - Edge Of The World

Don Ross - Music for Vacuuming

I also had a Seeger double CD in my hand but put it down on account of low funds.

There's a ben folds five dvd?? I know of the Sessions 54, and today I saw Ben Folds and the West Australian symphony orchestra live in Perth DVD. Can you get me details on that?

Thanks for the suggestion guys. Umphrees definatly sounds interesting..."Miles Electric: A different Kind of Blue" as well. And now that Blind Melon one is in my mind...damn! Now I have too many to choose from.

There's a ben folds five dvd?? I know of the Sessions 54, and today I saw Ben Folds and the West Australian symphony orchestra live in Perth DVD. Can you get me details on that?

Hey Canooky! Ahh I think it was the Sessions 54 that I was talking about. I only saw it once, and only a slice of it at that, so I wasn't sure what I was talkin about really. Have you seen the Sessions 54 dvd? Smokin. I didn't know about that Symphony one either, sounds promising.

Guest Low Roller

Hmm, I have no idea what your tastes are like, but I own and enjoy the following:

- White Stripes- Under Blackpool Lights

- Gotan Project- La Revancha del Tango live

- Radiohead- live at the Astoria

- Blind Melon- Letters from a Porcupine

That Blind Melon DVD sounds tasty though...

one thing I do dig about HMV is their package deals of 2/$25 or 2/$30 or wahtever. It's a good way to grab some "catalogue" releases to help fill in some gaps in your collection. Hell, just on Tuesday I came away with Pink FLoyd's "Meddle" and "The Wall" for $30, and the same deal for an excellent Beach Boys collection and a Belle & Sebastian album. I was happy with that. I probably never would have paid full price for "The Wall" but since I've been on a Floyd kick for the last year, it was a chance to fill in that gap between "Animals" and "The Final Cut".

i remember watching a radiohead documentary circa ok computer - it was amazing. showed these boys' flash rise to stardom and how they had to cope with a world tour and recording a follow up. kid a.

i'd go for that one.

what's this called, Radioheads?

umphreys new years is 'wrapped around chicago'.. it's awesome..

concert for bangladesh would be a good choice too.

You didn't read my post about Umphrey's ... did you? }:(

-> kookycanooky:

You should definately check out Bangledesh. I saw it many years ago and keep meaning to reown it on DVD. Especially the collectors edition. Totally worth it. I have the LP version that I would love to bring to a listening party.