Jambands.ca

Post an interesting fact that few people may know.

MarcO

montana, really?

there're about 6.5 billion people in the world, thus you'd need 6.5 billion square metres, right?

a quick check on wikipedia tells us that the area of montana is 381,156 km². it seems as if we'd need 20ish montanas to do this

i could be totally wrong here, i'm certainly no mathmatician

Edited by Guest
to raise me up a crop of Dental Floss

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For an interesting take on this idea, check out the novel Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner. From the linked article:

Its title refers to an early twentieth century claim that the world's population could fit onto the Isle of Wight (area 381 km²) if they were all standing upright. Brunner remarked that the growing world population now required a larger island—the 3.5 billion people living in 1968 could stand together on the Isle of Man (area 572 km²), while the 7 billion people whom he projected would be alive in 2010 would need to stand on Zanzibar (area 1554 km²).

Aloha,

Brad

Oranges eaten in Canada are dyed orange.

They are picked green for the purpose of transport to Canada, so that they won't spoil along the way. Unlike some fruits (eg. tomatoes) oranges do not continue to change colour after they're picked, so they dye them with food colouring for sale in Canada.

thanks for this - I heard they were dyed orange here but did't quite get the whole story (once picked don't change colour) so when I tried to pass along the info it just didn't make sense - now if I could only remember who the hell said I was an idiot so I could clarify and redeem myself ;)

thanks for the laffs, folks....

FACT: my very first foray into Ebay was to purchase John Brunner's THE SHEEP LOOK UP...a wicked SciFi end-of-times scenario.

FACT: I am absolutely flabbergasted to learn (through following Bradm's links) that this author has over 80 FRIKKEN BOOKS to his credit. (Any suggestion/offers of loan, peeps?)

I can loan you "Stand On Zanzibar" (which I think is a good companion to "The Sheep Look Up") and "The Shockwave Rider", both of which (along with "The Sheep Look Up") fall into Brunner's "non-linear" style of writing, in which there isn't really one main character/plot in the book; instead, you have a set of characters and several "streams" of plot. (At one point, I was reading "Stand On Zanzibar" on the bus [i have it in paperback] and "The Sheep Look Up" [i have it in hardcover, a first edition, I think]. Ever try reading two non-linear novels simultaneously?)

Is there a public library out where you are? They might have a bunch more.

Aloha,

Brad

FACT: my very first foray into Ebay was to purchase John Brunner's THE SHEEP LOOK UP...a wicked SciFi end-of-times scenario.

that's one of my favourite books...nice one!

(and that is a fact. little known, probably even less cared about :) )

Edited by Guest

For an interesting take on this idea, check out the novel Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner. From the linked article:

Its title refers to an early twentieth century claim that the world's population could fit onto the Isle of Wight (area 381 km²) if they were all standing upright. Brunner remarked that the growing world population now required a larger island—the 3.5 billion people living in 1968 could stand together on the Isle of Man (area 572 km²), while the 7 billion people whom he projected would be alive in 2010 would need to stand on Zanzibar (area 1554 km²).

...provided you can get them all there and away before someone gets hungry or has to take a shit.