Jambands.ca

Say Goodbye To The TVO That We Love

Jaimoe

Imagine a Saturday Night without "Saturday Night At The Movies":

Done. Beer is still being drunk, all is right in my world.

But yeah. Don't break it in order to fix it, what he said.

Dalton is such a tool.

AD

I heard that this morning on the way to work on the CBC .It seems they are removing some wonderful and informadble shows.It seems we shouldn't question just teach the kids.It is all fine that we aid the development of the young in a public Forum . This trend to make the world like Disney land with no thought about the majority of the population which are adults is slowly giving me a rash.

Dalton is such a tool.

understatement of the century.

All true. One of the only things I like about the Liberal government is their anti-urban sprawl/urban intensification policy. Other than that, Dalton is a fucking tool - see hydro plant on the Toronto waterfront and the endorsement of the tire-burning plant in Bath (near Kingston) amongst many.

Looks like I've got some reading to do...

The folks at TVO have been aware of a restructuring for some time, but still have yet to learn anything about it, other than what the media has been reporting.

Hopefully my wife still has a job.

What does she do, if you don't mind me asking. If she's in the technical stream, she'll probably be ok.

There was just an interview with Steve Paikin on the radio and he loves the changes and is super-pumped for the new show he'll be on in the fall. I think it was called 'The Agenda.' So maybe this is a good thing after all. Who knows.

AD

What's digital learning? I haven't watched anything on TVO in a while, and have no idea what airs on it. But if they had more educational shows like the old Bits and Bytes, I'd be very happy with digital learning, if that's what they're talking about (not just tech learning of course).

How long has Studio 2 been around? I ask because people look at the "re-tooling" as if it'll change something that's been the same forever, and it hasn't. To my eyes, adding Studio 2 was a big change to TVO in and of itself, as it hadn't had much in the way of day-to-day affairs/news programming. The TVO I grew up with (1970s and 1980s) focused on children's programming, adult education (anybody remember "Bits And Bytes"? :)), science shows (e.g., National Geographic), and movies (including Uncle Elwy), but not much that was immediately topical.

And as to the "If it ain't broke..." line, well, how do we know it ain't broke? What are its ratings? How are TVO memberships doing? (And who here is a TVO member? I'm not.) Is TVO providing content that's not easily available on other channels?

I don't necessarily agree with the changes, but I don't necessarily disagree with them, either. I do, however, disagree with the view that any change the government plans to make is necessarily bad.

Aloha,

Brad

The TVO I grew up with (1970s and 1980s) focused on children's programming, adult education (anybody remember "Bits And Bytes"? :)), science shows (e.g., National Geographic)

That's what I'm talkin' bout too! ding ding ding! So what's on TVO these days? Cool stuff like what Brad and I grew up with or FLUFF?

Haven't read any details about the changes, but my knee jerk reaction is "oh, FUCK OFF!". CBC feels broken to me these days -- including Radio One, sadly ... I mean, how do you mess up something as beautiful as CBC Radio One? -- and in my mind, TVO has been working really, really well. I'd hate to see that change. Maybe it will be for the better, but I'm worried.

Agreed with Jaimoe - ratings are no way to judge the value of a public broadcaster. Maybe, maybe, maybe it won't go to shit. I hope not.

I met Steve Paikin at the airport in Miami a couple of years ago. He was there for a short vacation. I told him that Studio 2 is my favourite news program, especially the sports panel on Mondays. I hate to see that show get the axe.

I agree - it is the best news show. Steve Paikin is awesome as an interviewer, too. Plus, he looks a bit like Lyle Lovett.