Jambands.ca

More American politicians wasting time...

hamilton

quote:

Originally posted by jared:

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww
[Eek!][Eek!][Eek!]

Oh, I agree: eeeewwwwwwwwwwww, indeed.

But does there need to be a law against it? I mean, it's not like people are being forced to have their tongues split.

Sure it's weird, but there's a lot of weird shit. Why make it illegal - thereby forcing it underground, making it unsanitary and dangerous?

Guest Low Roller

BLAARGH!!! *erp* dribble...

Disgusting. There deserves to be laws against shit like that. Force it underground, I don't care. Imagine if it became mainstream and it was 'cool' to have your tongue surgically split?

Why is this a problem to anyone, another case of "I dont understand it or like it" so make it illegal,fuckin' sad.Why would anyone really be so concerned about what other people do?

This shit has been goin' on for over ten or so years,I remember seein it first before I got my first of 50 tattoo's way back in 1986,why is it such a problem now,and most of all why would anyone really be bothered by this.

It is a choice that people make,so whats next?No tattoo's or peircings?Why not go after people who sell crack or prostitute others,doesnt this bother anyone?I think that only the wee close minded are opposed to this,since they just dont get what FREEDOM OF CHOICE is.

So are they goin go after the African's who extend their necks or the New Zealander's who tattoo their faces?How about the guys in india who impale themselves with thousands of needles and carry big elbaorate costumes around on them or the people who like to hang from hooks for art?

So heres my question :

Why are your bothered or offended by a person making a choice on their own in a sterile enviroment and does somthing, that in absolutley no way even effects you?

errrr....the self righteous...must be nice to be so perfect and without flaw. [Roll Eyes]

Drive it underground and ya get hacks doin this shit instead of qualified people.....ok that makes sense. [Roll Eyes]

Good points, Greg - they were pretty much the same ones that I was thinking about when I posted the article.

To many, *our* lifestyle is weird - "You go to how many concerts in a row? The same band? And people there do what?" Thankfully, it hasn't been made illegal by anyone - yet (although I do recall that recent thread about a proposed bill that could be threatening to the festival scene south of the border).

I think that if I had to categorize myself in a socio-political way, I would put myself under the "left-wing libertarian" banner; left-wing because I have concern for social welfare and the general well-being of others, but libertarian because I see no need for the government to interfere with (or make laws concerning) activities that individuals engage in that have no negative impact on other members of society - no matter how strange they may seem.

The dwarf-tossing issue is kind of similar - I mean, as long as the dwarves (or little people, or whatever the correct term is) have consented to being tossed, what's the difference? If you get injured, social Darwinism comes into play - if you get hurt doing something stupid that you weren't smart enough not to do, then you deserve whatever the consequences are.

Agreed hamilton,

I just don't get this myself,if someone decides to get their tongue split or a peircing/tattoo etc,then really why would it be anyone's concern but their own?I have never understood this type of thinking,unless a person is hurting another or perhaps not in the right mind(ie: on drugs or drunk)to make a sound decision,then how is it a problem for anyone?I dunno, maybe my thinking is off but I dont see what concern it would be of these politicians to begin with.

This is off the posted topic,but I had posted this the other day,but it seems to be gone now so I will post it again.

Strike the root.

I say think for yourself and don't be blackmailed in thought by the political do gooders who try to tell you whats right or wrong to do with your own body.

as much as tongue splitting gives me a case of the screaming heebie jeebies, I can't say that I agree with any law prohibiting it.

People get off on some fairly twisted shit: penis splitting, scarring, dwarf tossing, 25 minute guitar solos, .....hey, whatever turns your crank [Razz]

Guest Low Roller

Who knew that tongue splitting would be one of my buttons? [Confused]

I don't want to spark another "f@ck hipocrisy" style 'debate', but I can't possibly imagine why anybody in their right mind would want to surgically get their tongue split. Call me sheltered, naive, or what have you, but a normal psychologically balanced person shouldn't even consider this sort of surgery.

The examples that were cited pertaining to "the Africans who extend their necks or the New Zealanders who tattoo their faces" I would consider entirely different, since they are considered accepted rituals in their cultures and have been practiced for centuries.

Tongue splitting is just something to do in a never ending effort by the masses to be seen as different.

'Freedom of choice' is one thing, but it may as well start being called 'freedom to be stupid' if the best use they can find for the precious liberty of personal choice is to mutilate themselves.

quote:

He says the cutting was done in three sessions with a scalpel heated by a blow torch and no anesthetic.

Whoa! [Eek!]

I can't see how it should be illegal though. That makes no sense at all... Not to mention that the one dude had to get his reattached because he would have been kicked out of the military.

Silly Americans. Incidently I've seen that 'Street Smarts' show a couple of times now, man o man are those people dumb!

One neat thing about that crazy tounge splitting is how both sides can function independently. Crazy!

Guest Low Roller

quote:

Originally posted by CyberHippie:

One neat thing about that crazy tounge splitting is how both sides can function independently. Crazy!

Well at least there's one advantange to tongue splitting: your cunnilingus skills would improve quite dramatically. [Razz]

quote:

Originally posted by Low Roller:

[QB]

The examples that were cited pertaining to "the Africans who extend their necks or the New Zealanders who tattoo their faces" I would consider entirely different, since they are considered accepted rituals in their cultures and have been practiced for centuries.

Tongue splitting is just something to do in a never ending effort by the masses to be seen as different.[QB]

Actually,— tongue splitting, to some a pinnacle of "Khechari Mudra" practices, is a part of Hatha and Kumbhaka yoga where the tongue is split and then "milked" until it is long enough to be turned back inside the mouth and flipped up to the epiglottis. It then is used in breathing excercises, the goal being to seal the body's energy leaks and become aware of only the internal thus entering a catatonic state, crossing back and forth between death and life (note that Westernized versions often omit, and even censor, the splitting).

Yogis that practice these rites believe that it allows them to be absorbed "into God" (that is, becoming conjoined with the universal soul, an experience that is also common in suspension and other body rites).

In addition, Kaliya and other characters in Hindu mythology are depicted as having split tongues, as are characters (often evil) in various other faiths. Most obviously, Christian mythology bestows a forked tongue upon Satan.

It's also been goin on for centuries.

quote:

And, apparently it increases the pleasure derived from eating because there is more surface area on the tongue so more taste buds are in contact with the food you eat.

Actaully there is no change in your pleasure from it.Barring the extremely unlikely possibility of nerve damage, taste should not be affected in any way. Taste buds regenerate weekly, and their basic layout is not affected by the split, nor are any of their nerve pathways. In addition, the formation of the bolus does not appear to be affected by tongue splitting.

I have been involved in the body modification circle for over 12 years now,although you would never see me splitting my tongue or any other body part,I opted to cover my body in tattoo's,I am not even into the piercin shit either,but I have friends with some extreme bod mod ie: split tongue,horn inplants etc.

I just feel that really it isnt anybodies bussiness what another does to themselve if it isnt hurting another or in reality harmful in the way of death mto them selfs,like it or hate it,it all comes down to a personal choice for people,its not like a 15 or 16 yr old can get this done,since you have to go to a qualified physcian to get it done and be at least 18,and no-one is being forced to do it either.

I think its just that these politcians just dont understand it and probally some religous group has lobbyed to have it banned due to the mythology of it all,hey they wanted to ban Marylin Manson also...and thats just music(to some I guess),to me anyway it just doesnt make sense.

Lots of people do drugs,to many that is stupid, as for drinking, touring etc.....who is to say what is stupid?

To each their own, as said before beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Guest Low Roller

Fair enough Esau13. You seem to have researched the topic quite extensively, so I've decided to withdraw my position on the topic.

I still think it's weird though...

Hey LR,

Wasnt meaning to change your idea's on the subject,my problem is with the politicans and them making it against the law,just seems strange to me that this would bother them is all.Also not much research is needed when the topic is somthing you have been involved in for over a decade.(Body modification)

Hey you dont have to like it or think its normal,to each their own,same as opinions.All good.

I think its rather strange myself really,but then again some think that tattooing most of your body is also.

Cheers

well looky here illinois ladies...it's not illegal in CANADA!

i'm suprised more women haven't come on to comment. personally, it's creepy to me...just because it evokes the thought of pain...hot burning scalpel.

i think that'd be very traumatic - i'm fine with my ONE tongue.

It's visible and I find it ugly. I can say the same thing about PT Cruisers, lime-green stretch pants, and guys in thongs, but that doesn't give me the ethical right to make them illegal.

(And before anyone defends the PT Cruiser, I will freely admit to riding around in The Mercenary's bright yellow Aztek. Voluntarily, even. The jury is out on the esthetics of the PT Cruiser, but the Aztek, well ...)

Archived