Jambands.ca

DAMO SUZUKI/DAVE LAUZON, members Do Make Say Think, No Dynamics Aug 25th

kc

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

The whole night was pushed waaaay back; Damo and the band only ended up doing one set and none of the second-set guests got up there (me included).

The musicians were all top-notch, but Dave was telling me after the show that there was absolutely no discussion as to how they would change between songs or anything like that, so it ended up being one loooooong vamp in the same key without a break. The drummer, Mike, switched it up a bit. Alexis was saying that, with the four dudes up there in complete improvisational mode, Damo's gibberish vocals were holding them back from doing their thing properly, and I agreed. Curious to know what Dave's final impressions were.

It was an interesting experience. My total verbal interaction with Damo over the entire night was "Hi Damo, nice to meet you" to which I was greeted with a nod.

Musically speaking it was fun but it would have been nice to have stopped and changed directions more. We did however play in about 4 different keys throughout the hour + movement.

Overall I'm not exactly sure what to make of Damo's thing. sure seems like a good gig for him. ;)

Also it would have been nice to play with the other musicians that came to play. Some guy brought a saw. I love the saw.

We did however play in about 4 different keys throughout the hour + movement.

I'll admit, when I found out I wasn't playing I sat and watched for about 20 minutes and it didn't really seem like it was going anywhere...I had another gig earlier in the night and hadn't eaten dinner, so I went and got a slice, sat for a while, then came back. I really wasn't sure if it was one key or not.

And Dave, I mean no disrespect. We all know you can play.

On the bright side, my gig at Casbah was friggin awesome!

Interesting. I think it can be a hit-and-miss experience with these pure improv things, especially when people have never met. I thought the montreal show was pretty great.

Here are 2 of the sets that were played for those who want to check it out:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LYUB644Z - Damo with Sixtoo

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BWYCAS4A Damo with Feu Therese plus the multi-band encore.

Interesting. I think it can be a hit-and-miss experience with these pure improv things

totally.. and especially with Damo, it seems... his last time around i caught the show here in london with the riderless as his band, and it was one of my favourite shows i've seen this year. went a couple nights later in toronto when he was with a mash-up of BSS and DMST guys, and it was absolutely terrible.

i think he's here tonite with the riderless again... and i think im gonna sit it out.

Fug that's cool he played with Sixtoo in MTL. He's on Six's last album.

Don't forget Damo was like a freakish street musician who sort of chanced into Can when they came across him one day. He's sort of milked that puppy for all it's worth and most people who dig Can don't dig it for his involvement (say Holy Fuck for instance). The not interacting with the artists is intentional and from what it sounds like a hit or miss affair.

I find that his sets with actual bands tend to work best. If you check out the Damo with Feu Therese (an awesome band in their own right), you can tell that those guys clearly came into the show with a game plan. They bust into some seriously tranced-out Can-ish grooves and Damo knows exactly what to do. Track 8 is probably my favorite of them.

ummmmm Alexis says duchess sucked. i agree with what Dave said at the time, it made me feel old and out of touch, waaaay to loud and angry for me.

Who was the first act though? he was pretty good.

edit to add: nevermind, my little eye just spotted the name up top

Edited by Guest

hey guigsy - i think that since damo hit it off with the riderless, and players from the sadies and DMST were relatively stumped, Luke's 'that world' comment is absolutely befitting of a night.

not a groovy night, or a rocker...but likely one of true free psychedelia meant for those who'get it' without discussion.

I remember the energy the riderless wound up my little room with in London and I don't really feel that very often...generally though, it doens't make for a night of casual music listening. I'd want to be able to immerse myself in those waves without having any other notions distracting me from manic creation. Definitely not for those who require songs or structure for the most part.

ahhh speaking of "get it" there was this guy sitting at a table in front of me who was quite obviously getting it. i really wanted to ask him to explain to what it was that i was definitely was not getting about damo, but my concert etiquette didn't let me. he looked like he was REALLY into it, he had the swirly chair dance with random hand movements down pat.

thanks for the link rev