Jambands.ca

Trey, Mike and the Duo setlist

bouche

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious why you hate flikr- phorbsie?

I have only just uploaded some pics- I kind of thought it was easy and sort of cool- but if you have some insider scope on the crappiness of it let me in on it!

by the way scottieking- the neat thing about flikr is that it tells you if you click on the pics themselves and then tell it to open the pic in a new window it will tell you what camera took it in the lower right hand side- I think phishtaper is using a nice small kodak, a Kodak DX4900 Zoom.

it does take great shots though. I'm pretty sure if it is the same camera they have been using for the last few years = it takes good far away shots and closeup shots- and it think its about $500 or so before taxes.

which seems like a good deal considering. And certainly well tested in concert settings.

any I wrong Phistaper?

thnx scottie and all. very happy to share. GrooveFetish is right - its a Kodak DX4900, a four year old camera, one of the first 4.0M available. ive always been very happy with it, but because it has a small dia lens and only 2x optical zoom, its use for low light, indoors isnt good (and I never use the flash during shows, out of respect). what I posted were the better pics of almost 200 that I snapped that night (most are embarrassingly bad). its small, so its easy to take into shows. and for plants, bugs and stuff, its close-ups (< 4") are among the best Ive seen. i estimate ive taken over 15,000 pics on it. it was about $500 in 2002, long out of production. id like to get a new camera, with a much bigger and better lens. Ive always like GrooveFetish's cam. lens envy ;)

re: flickr details on the shots. that was bit freaky, i had never seen some of that techy info before.

BIG THANKS to Pete (and GrooveFetish) for recording the show, and to dylygruv for the post-field work and the upload.

the CDs made the drive into the Claypool show last night very enjoyable. (I feel for the woman who waltzed in at 8:55 only to see them leaving the stage for the night.)

cheers

our camera is also about 4 years old now it has a digital zoom to 4x but I never use it and the optical zoom is 3x.

FYI-phishtaper- if you like our camera/lens- as Pete heard form one of his dealers that the panasonic's are all made with lens to the specs of the Lieca lens now (I believe) and they just came out with a new 12x model!

we are sort of mulling the upgrade- the newer model- step down from the top model- (DMC-FZ7K-S) it has the higher ISO's and has the 12x optical zoom. I have been interested in trying to see if I can get another digital with higher iso speeds- (as I think this helps when taking inside/ low light shots) however the new panasoic that has that feature says it degrads the quality considerably (so why have it?). Any professionals have a comment or tip on that?

Also as a note thanks for the thanks but...- I really had absolutely nothing to do with getting the show taped and up- credit goes all to Pete and our buddy Jeff who lent the media necessary for Peter to try his new compact flash recorder and for slamming it up on the net so fast for us!

thanks Jeff!

i just don't find their uploading and site set-up as user friendly and the limits for free use are very low. also that shotgun clicking noise when loading the photos annoys me. however that thing about showing you the camera is neat :) if you like the site that's cool. i prefer snapfish (i've always used that) and smugmug.

:)

to each their own...

Edited by Guest

i just don't find their uploading and site set-up as user friendly and the limits for free use are very low. also that shotgun clicking noise when loading the photos annoys me. however that thing about showing you the camera is neat :) if you like the site that's cool. i prefer snapfish (i've always used that) and smugmug.

:)

to each their own...

First, download their photo uploading tool. You will find adding photos much smoother, and you should ALWAYS add appropriate tags. For instance on your Gordo Photo I would add - "Mike Gordon" phish trey anastasio toronto grab "the duo" - you know, anything that someone might type into the search box. That's VERY powerful. Explore Flickr and see. Type in Jambands, you may find some of my photos.

Also, I think it's no secret that a site like that which gives you UNLIMITED STORAGE needs to have limits for free use. It's worth the few bucks/mth to get unlimited hispeed storage, and the community aspects are really amazing. Have you noticed that I have become your 'friend' on there? ONce you start accumulating a good gallery, you end up with other people in your friends list that have the same tastes. YOu can learn alot from these people. It's quite amazing.

It's more than free image hosting...way more.

Believe me, you will find limitations in every free hosting site. But if you're ready to subscribe, Flickr is the place to be.

Again, nice Mike G photo! Probably the only excellent one of the night.

I think we need a Flickr topic now ;)

Edited by Guest

hehe i knew you wouldn't be able to resist chiming in here!

we've been through this before. again, i'm not interested in being converted...i get FREE, UNLIMITED storage on snapfish. it also lets you look at your 'friends' albums and stores them on your page. uploads quickly, no limits, no money.

i don't want to spend my time having to add all those tags. i typically upload hundreds of pictures (from traveling). and i don't put my photos up for random people to do searches for, just to share with my friends whom i choose.

as i've said before i don't like it! so it just ain't gonna happen, try somebody else :P

i'm glad you liked my mike pic though. :) i was taking pics through the people in front of me's heads! the timing worked well on that one.

ahhh well I am a little (a lot) late but this show was fantastic. Great hanging out with baj and his buddy...

Also great seeing soooooo many new and old faces from the board. I won't mention any names for fear of forgetting people, but special shout out to zero because I almost didn't recognise him at first and I thought he may have been slightly offended (which is understandable)

Also, this show was WAY better than the 10K show...my buddies and I drove straight from the GRAB show to Minnesota and had an absolute blast. The Trey show at 10K was fantastic...but not as good as the one in TO.