Jambands.ca

Chinese county culls 50,000 dogs

StoneMtn

Chinese county culls 50,000 dogs

SHANGHAI, China (AP) -- A county in southwestern China has killed as many as 50,000 dogs in a government-ordered campaign following the deaths of three local people from rabies, official media reported on Tuesday.

The five-day massacre in Yunnan province's Mouding county spared only military guard dogs and police canine units, the Shanghai Daily reported, citing local media.

Dogs being walked were taken from their owners and beaten to death on the spot, it said. Other killing teams entered villages at night creating noise to get dogs barking, then homing in on their prey.

About 360 of the county's 200,000 residents suffered dog bites this year, with three reported deaths, including a 4-year-old girl, the report said.

"With the aim to keep this horrible disease from people, we decided to kill the dogs," Li Haibo, a spokesman for the county government was quoted as saying by the official Xinhua News Agency.

Calls to county government offices rang unanswered on Tuesday.

China has suffered a major rise in the number of rabies cases in recent years, with 2,651 reported deaths from the disease in 2004, the last year for which data was available, according to the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

Experts have tied the rise in cases in part to a major increase in dog ownership, particularly in rural areas where about 70 percent of households keep dogs. However, rates of rabies vaccination remain extremely low at only about 3 percent, according to the center.

Link

I never thought IJVOMKBYS (I Just Vomited On My Keyboard Because You Suck) would come into play, but thank you Mouding County for letting me drop this bomb. I can't imagine why a country with a growing economy and the funds to vaccinate dogs would stoop so low. I guess they've just never had tact when it came to population control. So messed up.

The story doesn't mention that these Chinese citizens were given about 24 hours to kill their own pets for about .63 cents that the government would pay for the death of each dog. Otherwise, the squads would come for them, and kill the dog right in front of the owner by beating him/her to death.

My brother lived in Japan from 1988 to 2003, and there was a pizza restaurant place near him named "Donkey Pizza". I never found out whether it served pizza to donkeys, pizza made by donkeys, or pizza made with donkeys, and I was quite content in my ignorance.

Aloha,

Brad

I suspect you will still be able to order one off of menus in particular restaurants' date=' at the very least.[/quote']

Im pretty sure your kidding...but wow I sure hope that "puppie pizza" is not on a menu anywhere near where I am gonna be.

You can order dog meat here in Korea. I've never had it - at least, not to my knowledge, anyway. Generally, it is only the older generations here that still think it is an acceptable meal. Most younger people (under 40) think that it is a horrible practice; they see dogs as pets, but older people grew up when pets were an unaffordable luxury, so they see dogs as a source of protein.

I suspect you will still be able to order one off of menus in particular restaurants' date=' at the very least.[/quote']

Im pretty sure your kidding...but wow I sure hope that "puppie pizza" is not on a menu anywhere near where I am gonna be.

You can order dog meat here in Korea. I've never had it - at least, not to my knowledge, anyway. Generally, it is only the older generations here that still think it is an acceptable meal. Most younger people (under 40) think that it is a horrible practice; they see dogs as pets, but older people grew up when pets were an unaffordable luxury, so they see dogs as a source of protein.

interesting