Jambands.ca

Wasps

headymamamyrna

How do you get rid of wasps?

I have wasps going in a space between the bricks of my house.i bought a foam spray and have been using it but it doesn't seem to be working.

Last night I sprayed about three times and today they were in and out all day.

I just sprayed again but if they are still there what do I do?

Maybe calk the space!

ha...oh man I wish I had a digital camera to show you the nest hanging off my mas house!!!

No word of exageration here...this nest went from looking like a volley ball about three weeks ago to being BIGGER than a basketball today!

I've never seen a nest so big except in Winnie The Pooh story books as a child...and still it's bigger than that!

I was thinking...wait till winter then knock it down and get it to the woods?????

I dunno what them wasps do in the winter?

If the wd40 does work try this:

Open a 2L bottle of Coke and pour a 1/4 out. Then make sure the Coke bottle is at 45 degree agle (you can achieve this by bending a coat hanger and making a stand/support for the coke bottle, and leave the lid off.

What happens is the Wasps are attracted to the sugar, so the climb inthe Coke bottle, but once they are in, they get the coke sugar on thier wings and can get out. The end up dying a sugary death in the Coke bottle.

I've seen this work for all types of insects. That's how they do in the south US.

Good luck.

I remember trying to catch a cat that was beating up my Sammy on a daily basis with a catch-and-release cage.

I never did catch that facker, but I did successfully catch a skunk....twice. Freaked me the fack out when I thought it was the cat and then, as I was approaching the cage, cursing the creature to hell, it rolled over and bore it's white stripe. Yikes!!

I remember trying to catch a cat that was beating up my Sammy on a daily basis with a catch-and-release cage.

I never did catch that facker, but I did successfully catch a skunk....twice. Freaked me the fack out when I thought it was the cat and then, as I was approaching the cage, cursing the creature to hell, it rolled over and bore it's white stripe. Yikes!!

Are you sure it wasn't a cat painted accidently with a white stripe?

2pepe.jpg

you could always just plug up the hole. If they keep coming out, at least you'll be able to find the other doors to plug. Who knows, they might just die off in a while.

You could also try flooding the hole with water but that might cause water damage inside and might also send the wasps out looking to kill.

Good luck, I hate the stupid things since I stepped into a nest and got bit 17 times on one ankle (or just above it really). bastards!!!

Also, people use smoke to make the honey bees all groggy so perhaps you could try to smoke them and see if you can remove the nest.

Edited by Guest

I've seen people hang a simple brown paper bag (blown up and tied up at the opening) with a piece of string from their doorways and overhangs. Wasps are territorial and if they see another nest (or what vaguely resembles one) they will not nest in that area.

Perhaps this will help to make the ones already there want to vacate?

The wasps have now gone!

I had the pest control in.

He sprayed a dust in the hole and one spray took care of them.

The dust gets on the wasps and they spread it among themselves and they die off.

He told me not to waste my money on the spray i was using as it doesn't work and it didn't as it just goes to the hole in the bricks and not all the way in.

He also said never to try and plug the hole as they could stay in there for a long time and maybe cause damage inside.

Thanks for all your suggestions.They were quite interesting indeed.

Also he only charged twenty dollars.I was lucky because his parents live next door.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I remembered reading this thread the other week. I had noticed an increasing number of bees around my place.

The other day I was mowing my front lawn. I had do cut around a small tree and had to duck my head so I didn't hit the branches. No big deal? Well, luckily it wasn't. A couple of hours later, a buddy noticed a monster bee hive in the tree that i must have missed by millimetres when I was ducking underneath it!!!

Here are a couple of pics. It's the size of an overgrown football!!!

2006-08-28002.jpg

2006-08-28001.jpg

I haven't sprayed it yet, but with these cooler nights, i'll do it soon. Should be fun :P

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

wanna get rid of skunks?

dig black peppercorns and mothballs into the areas of soil around their nest. spend a few bucks and they'll go away...this works with keeping them out of a specific area - either an outbuilding with an entrance accessible to skunks, or a garden.

they hate pepper and mothballs. why not use them both?

or you could wait and shoot them. i'd go for the no killing solution.

Well, I remembered reading this thread the other week. I had noticed an increasing number of bees around my place.

The other day I was mowing my front lawn. I had do cut around a small tree and had to duck my head so I didn't hit the branches. No big deal? Well, luckily it wasn't. A couple of hours later, a buddy noticed a monster bee hive in the tree that i must have missed by millimetres when I was ducking underneath it!!!

Here are a couple of pics. It's the size of an overgrown football!!!

2006-08-28002.jpg

2006-08-28001.jpg

I haven't sprayed it yet, but with these cooler nights, i'll do it soon. Should be fun :P

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

Thats some good nest. The one off my house is mabey three times that! :o

Aren't you afraid to spray and ire them????

I'm thinking wait till winter mabey....I really don't know what to do.

On the topic of wasps....for all you allergic folk and those who know them...listening to the CBC the other day about a man who died after being stung after administering his epi pen.

Well his dose was expired by not much time at all.

So it turns out the dose becomes no better than water within weeks of the expiration date!

So keep them pens well up to date please! :)